Injury Report: Frederik Andersen UPD - Practiced Monday

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Confirmed that McBackup starts tomorrow. Sparks likely to backup.

Andersen injury not serious.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
It's good news to hear that he was practicing tho right?

Only 20 minutes, but I guess anything is better than nothing.

If he's not 100% let him sit the week if he has to - we have a brutal 5 games next week against stiff competition. Hopefully CMac and Sparks can hold down the fort this week.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Probably just being cautious with Andy in hopes that he can start Thursday

McBackup will get a couple of starts in all likeliness at least (tomorrow and one of the back to backs on Sunday/Monday)

As long as Andy is good to go for the final 4 games (Cap, Bolts, Pens, Jackets) I won't be too upset

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Probably just being cautious with Andy in hopes that he can start Thursday

McBackup will get a couple of starts in all likeliness at least (tomorrow and one of the back to backs on Sunday/Monday)

As long as Andy is good to go for the final 4 games (Cap, Bolts, Pens, Jackets) I won't be too upset

Those kind of goaltender helmet makes it tough on the jaw since it squeezes your face a little, so there is probably some discomfort.

If he had a bucket like Tim Thomas or Hasek, he'd be fine probably.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
So the sky isn't falling? Glad to hear that. Some folks were getting just a little ridiculous yesterday

Why are people so down on giving Sparks a chance?

He's gotten better every year and is playing some of the best hockey of his life right now. By all metrics, 3rd best keeper in the AHL this year.

The whole "he sucked last year so he sucks forever" argument is stupid.

He's earned a shot to prove himself again.

It's confusing - he's been stellar this season in the AHL. I'd like to see him get another shot.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
also at the very least they probably want to make sure he can start one of those back to back games so they don't have to start Sparks or McBackup (on back to back nights)

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
I would also think Babs will have short leash on Mac...Sparks will be in at the first sign of trouble. If it's only this game Freddy misses, I think we dodged a bullet.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I think Sparks would be a better option than McBackup. He's been great with the Marlies.

With all due respect, I think that's crazy. I'll take the good NHL vet backup over the kid who hasn't done anything for a late season dogfight to make the playoffs. Great what Sparks is doing in the AHL, but he's still a marginal talent that projects to be nothing more than a fringe backup in the NHL. I'll take mcbackup until he proves otherwise, couldn't be an easier choice to my mind.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I would of never of guessed Curtis McElhinney is 6'3". He plays like the top of his pads got caught on his nipple rings or something. He seems shorter. It took Andersen some time to get comfortable. The sky hasn't fallen yet.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I think Sparks would be a better option than McBackup. He's been great with the Marlies.

Can't do it.
Don't forget Sparks was horrible last year. Shutout first game and then he was plain incompetent. i think he finished with a Save% in the .890ish range.
McBackup is experienced and has a save percentage in the .920's this season. He has been better than fine. Outstanding on occasion. It is not easy getting sporadic starts.
In the bigger picture if you start Sparks now you are saying he is your backup. I don't think that is a good decision.
McBackup it is and hope Andy is fine in a few days.

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009
Makes sense. McBackup against Florida at home with Sparks on the bench. Followed by Andersen vs. Nashville on the road, Sparks stays in Toronto with Marlies, and Andersen gets to go against a team who will be on their 3rd game in 4 nights instead of the team that blew him out 2 weeks ago.

maplehawk

HFB Partner
thank god. can't have mcelhinney for more than 1 game.

he's that kind of goalie where every shot is an adventure. pucks bounce off him funny, he's always swiping and missing, and makes a mess out of freezing it more often than not.

hard to get any offense going when your D zone is always scrambling.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
thank god. can't have mcelhinney for more than 1 game.

he's that kind of goalie where every shot is an adventure. pucks bounce off him funny, he's always swiping and missing, and makes a mess out of freezing it more often than not.

hard to get any offense going when your D zone is always scrambling.

I think he's been quite good for us actually.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad