Injury Report: Frederik Andersen UPD - Practiced Monday

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Patrick Sullivan asked.. " are we that naive to think that Andersen wasn't told to say that to take pressure off the Buffalo Dr....?"

This is 2017. A Dr isnt going to put his professional reputation on the line for a hockey game. Its not like Drs need employment from hockey teams.

its ridiculous conspiracy theory junk.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
This is 2017. A Dr isnt going to put his professional reputation on the line for a hockey game. Its not like Drs need employment from hockey teams.

I don't think there is any conspiracy but can't Doctors pull a player after seeing contact? Even if the player says they are fine?

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
What's with all the Mcbackup hate/worrisome. He's been solid for us when he's had time to prepare for a start. Granted he hasn't been stellar when coming in for relief, but the fact that he knows he is starting the next game and can prepare I have confidence in him.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
What's with all the Mcbackup hate/worrisome. He's been solid for us when he's had time to prepare for a start. Granted he hasn't been stellar when coming in for relief, but the fact that he knows he is starting the next game and can prepare I have confidence in him.

Because we're oh so close to a playoff position. People (including myself) are just looking for anything that might jeopardize that.

Can you blame us for being nervous? This is the franchise which has demonstrated times immeasurable that the worst possible outcome is almost assuredly going to happen.

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Patrick Sullivan asked.. " are we that naive to think that Andersen wasn't told to say that to take pressure off the Buffalo Dr....?"

"are we that naive to think that Babcock wasn't told to keep him out of Tuesday's game to take pressure off the Buffalo Dr...?"

No, POS should take off the tinfoil hat before he starts looking like a Hershey's kiss.

Snap24

Apr 3, 2010
Toronto
Because we're oh so close to a playoff position. People (including myself) are just looking for anything that might jeopardize that.

Can you blame us for being nervous? This is the franchise which has demonstrated times immeasurable that the worst possible outcome is almost assuredly going to happen.

So far this season has shown how preposterous any sort of "anything that can go wrong, will go wrong" mentality. It's unfortunate that we've come to believe in a higher power at work pulling the strings just because it's a possibility. Doesn't mean bad things can't happen, and of course no guarantee we make the playoffs, but it goes to show - like Babcock says - doing things right leads to results. Lots of factors go into having a competent hockey club, everything that went wrong in the past is a good indicator that there were kinks in our armor.

Not to get on you for that mentality, it's definitely justified. But, personally it's given me hope that putting in the work and having the skill to back it up, also having a clear directional focus in regards to the leadership is more important then the current result. It's all in the little things.

Granted yeah Mcbackup has been rough when he's had to jump into a game, hopefully he can figure out with some starts. Seems like far side blocker is a weakness.

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Agreed, better than they had.
I'd be worried though if he were to have to start regularly.

Starting regularly - not ideal for sure but it's only for two weeks so it's far from inconceivable that he'd get the job done.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
From watching that, I'd say it looks like no Freddie tomorrow for sure. Let's hope he's ready by Thursday but at this point I wouldn't be too confident of that either.

It's all ready confirmed that McBackup is starting.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I wouldn't bet on it.

Well, for me that would depend on the specific terms of the bet but I understand your sentiment. After watching that interview though, my main thought is that I hope he's OK long term. I really like Andersen a lot, he's played great this season, seems like a great guy, has the right personality type to play in net for us (which is one of the toughest jobs in pro sports IMO) and I'd gladly accept him being out for the season if it meant that he would be 100% going forward starting with next season.

Concussions suck. I wish I was less paranoid about long term effects. :(

It's all ready confirmed that McBackup is starting.

Right. More coffee for me. :)

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

I think where Patrick was going with that comment is the Dr in Buffalo is getting a lot of shade for doing the right thing, Patrick is suggesting that as a courtesy to the Dr , Andersen was asked by the Leafs (or NHL) to publicly say that,

Rick74*

Oct 7, 2016
London, Ont
From watching that, I'd say it looks like no Freddie tomorrow for sure. Let's hope he's ready by Thursday but at this point I wouldn't be too confident of that either.

Everyone here needs to remember that it's not up to Babcock now, it's up to the doctors.

If it were up to Marner and Babs, Marner would have came back half a week earlier...

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014

Andersen and Mcbackup both struggled against florida last game, I think he will bounce back and Florida is playing us after playing the night before. There's no excuse if we lose this one.

At home, rested, florida is coming off a game the night before, we should be motivated coming off a bad loss against buffalo, and we should be looking for revenge from our last game against florida.

New Leaf

Oct 16, 2008
With all due respect, I think that's crazy. I'll take the good NHL vet backup over the kid who hasn't done anything for a late season dogfight to make the playoffs. Great what Sparks is doing in the AHL, but he's still a marginal talent that projects to be nothing more than a fringe backup in the NHL. I'll take mcbackup until he proves otherwise, couldn't be an easier choice to my mind.
Not to lay it on too thick, but McElhinney has been statistically among the worst goalies for SV% since 08/09. Among the 58 goalies that have played 150 games since 08/09, McElhinney ranks 52nd at .906. He's not a good vet, he's an AHL goalie who strung together a very small sample of good games at age 33. He's a bad goalie and Sparks is at least good in the AHL. Putting him behind this new team is a good chance to see what we have in Sparks. McElhinney will regress and he's likely already started.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I know right. Everyone was really hoping the starting goalie would get injured during a stretch run :laugh:. Oh wait no they weren't :shakehead.

because that's what was said.. geeze.

the crack was, people wanted McBackup to play more, and now all of a sudden, if he were to play it's doom. it wouldn't have been doom if Andy was hurt because I think McBackup could have done okay and then use Sparks. was it ideal? Nope. but if Ottawa could make the playoffs off the back of a no name goalie for almost 2 + months, i'm sure the Leafs could have made it work with McBackup and Sparks for the last 8 games of the season.

Keato

Apr 9, 2016
Winnipeg, MB
McElhinney has played well for us before, so hopefully he can play well for us again. Hopefully Andersen is back by Thursday or, at worst, Saturday.

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
I'm sure this was mentioned ITT, but Andersen said it wasn't the Kane collision but happened early in the game, so it must be the Carrier thing. Sounds like he's being held because of the concussion protocols. Maybe he tweaked his jaw and is experiencing headaches or something?

It's good that he's practicing, just hope it's not one of those things where it lingers on for days and days. Not super confident in McBackup tbh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->