Prospect Info: Frederik Andersen signs 2 year extension. One way 1,15 AAV

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Mine is on Hiller, simpley because of his contract status. The Ducks have a duo for next season signed. Hiller alone will demand much more than both of them. And personally I don't see why Hiller is so much better than one of them. With his vertigo issues I also don't see him being so stable injurywise.

Hiller hasn't missed a game due to Vertigo since 2010-11. At this point he is what he is - a good but not great #1 goalie on a reasonable contract. If you move Hiller you're banking on a duo of Fasth who has 25 NHL games under his belt and seems to be injury prone and a 24 year old with 2 games experience. Seems like a stupid risk to take IMO.

Yemeth

Feb 3, 2013
Zagreb
Depends on what we want to acquire. Hiller may be the piece to get more. I'm really high on Hiller but I see Fasth and Andersen as good as him.

But we would have to acquire something which is very hard to acquire, Hiller is a legitimate NHL nr. 1 goaltender for years, both Fasth and Andersen are a long way from that.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Hiller hasn't missed a game due to Vertigo since 2010-11. At this point he is what he is - a good but not great #1 goalie on a reasonable contract. If you move Hiller you're banking on a duo of Fasth who has 25 NHL games under his belt and seems to be injury prone and a 24 year old with 2 games experience. Seems like a stupid risk to take IMO.

I remember making the same points last year when Fasth had that scorching start to the season and posters wanted to crown him our #1 goalie. I don't want a goalie who has never gone through the rigors of an NHL season as a starter playing 60 or so games to be anointed a starting goaltender. If the team was rebuilding then that would be different, but the current team is good enough to make some sort of push and they need Hiller between the pipes.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
I fail to see how Hiller's sole injury problem from over 2 years ago is a worry, yet Fasth's recurring injury problems are not a worry.

This must be the 3rd time already Fasth has been injured since he started playing for Anaheim, and he hasn't even completed or been in Anaheim for a full seasons worth of workload yet. To me, that is far more worrying then Hiller's vertigo issues from 2011.

I'm not saying we should trade Fasth instead, but it seems weird to pick up on Hiller's injury, and ignore Fasth's trouble with injuries in his short time in the NHL so far.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
It would be helpful if we knew what Fasth's injuries have been about. We only know about him since he has been 30 years old. I'd love to know his injury history the last 10 years. If he has Jiggy type, soft tissue injuries I would be more concerned than if it were some type of injury caused by an opponents stick or the like. Of course we will never know what it is under current management.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
I fail to see how Hiller's sole injury problem from over 2 years ago is a worry, yet Fasth's recurring injury problems are not a worry.

This must be the 3rd time already Fasth has been injured since he started playing for Anaheim, and he hasn't even completed or been in Anaheim for a full seasons worth of workload yet. To me, that is far more worrying then Hiller's vertigo issues from 2011.

I'm not saying we should trade Fasth instead, but it seems weird to pick up on Hiller's injury, and ignore Fasth's trouble with injuries in his short time in the NHL so far.

In opinion that isn't even the issue. Fasth is under contract for next year and Hiller isn't. Yes Fasth's injury problems are very troubling but when he's healthy he's better than Hiller.

I just don't think Hiller will be re-sign or wants to. What goalie wants to come back to a team that clearly has it's sights set on a couple of rookie goalies to step up in the very near future? Not to mention there are a few teams that will pay handsomely for a starting goalie like Hiller in the summer. Hiller is going to be the odd-man out but whether he's traded or just walks remains to be seen.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
It would be helpful if we knew what Fasth's injuries have been about. We only know about him since he has been 30 years old. I'd love to know his injury history the last 10 years. If he has Jiggy type, soft tissue injuries I would be more concerned than if it were some type of injury caused by an opponents stick or the like. Of course we will never know what it is under current management.

Its his knee.. He tweaked in practice.. and it wont stop swelling.. Hes going to see a therapist about it.

Blue Dot

F0rsbergFan21
Oct 15, 2006
If I had to guess based off other teams goalie needs, I could see Hiller being sent to:

EDM
PHI
NYI
CGY
TB?

Scratch PHI from the list. Mason has been solid for them, and he was last season too. They will ride him and see how he holds up. They need a Dman more than anything else. imho.

NYI makes sense to me, Snow wants to win and while Nabby has been OK he is old.

CGY will see what they have in Ramo and Berra before they pay for a goalie. They are content with a good draft pick and being patient. again, imho.

TB needs D more than G too, Bishop has been decent. No question Hiller is an upgrade (right now on paper) but due to their cap and Bishop/Lindback they wait. Maybe come trade deadline or if Bishop starts to struggle.

EDM seems like the clear cut favorite to me of your list.

mightyquack

Apr 28, 2010
In opinion that isn't even the issue. Fasth is under contract for next year and Hiller isn't. Yes Fasth's injury problems are very troubling but when he's healthy he's better than Hiller.

I just don't think Hiller will be re-sign or wants to. What goalie wants to come back to a team that clearly has it's sights set on a couple of rookie goalies to step up in the very near future? Not to mention there are a few teams that will pay handsomely for a starting goalie like Hiller in the summer. Hiller is going to be the odd-man out but whether he's traded or just walks remains to be seen.

And that's a question mark on Fasth right now.

Fasth hasn't shown he can outplay Hiller over a full season as of yet, just a 25 game sample size, not even 1/3 of a season.

Last time Anaheim were in this situation with Hiller taking over from Jiggy, and Hiller stole the net after basically a month and a half of the season, from Jiggy in his 2nd season (and stepped up to being the #1) that forced the trade.

I think it would be foolish to trade Hiller before Fasth shows he can be the #1 a la Hiller in 09/10, despite Hiller's impending UFA status. And until Fasth shows that I'd be hesitant on trading Hiller at this stage.

Its his knee.. He tweaked in practice.. and it wont stop swelling.. Hes going to see a therapist about it.
That's worrying.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast

If that's true, it can be both good and bad. Knees are generally pretty fixable on a permanent basis. OTOH, it would require more down time than just a few days or even a couple of weeks.

I agree with Joe here pretty much verbatim. Fasth is already under contract for next year, Hiller isn't. And what Hiller is going to want as well as what will be available to him in free agency just doesn't match our needs.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
The thing with Hiller in free agency is that I'm not sure there is a huge market for goaltenders. There's a reason Tim Thomas had to sign a PTO and Bryzgalov is still waiting around for a call. Even a team like Edmonton doesn't appear to be overly desperate, and then you factor Ryan Miller being a free agent and Buffalo simply moving on, and it doesn't look great. I could see the Islanders being heavily in on him, and perhaps Edmonton, but after that it gets a bit murky.

I definitely think, though, that something to pursue is trading both Hiller and Fasth and going after Ryan Miller. IMO a guy like him in this system would be amazing, he'd almost certainly be very open to re-signing here, and you could probably get it done for Hiller+1st, or something along those lines. It's risky, but I think it would be worth it.

gratefulyours

Great 8 = T. Selanne
Nov 9, 2010
Oakland
I would trade Hiller and Fasth for Miller so fast.

you think miller is any better consistency wise? every time i play him in my fantasy league he lets in 3 plus goals.

one was 4 or 5 goals on 13 shots.

all goalies have off nights or just bad puck luck if you will.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
you think miller is any better consistency wise? every time i play him in my fantasy league he lets in 3 plus goals.

one was 4 or 5 goals on 13 shots.

all goalies have off nights or just bad puck luck if you will.

Get Miller out of that mess in Buffalo and I strongly suspect he starts playing great again. A few people have mentioned on twitter and whatnot that he looks completely demoralized, going to a winning team will probably turn his season right around.

And even so, Miller at his worst is still likely going to put up a .915 save percentage and 5 shutouts, which Hiller hasn't really matched since he got vertigo.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
IMO Miller is still a top 5 goalie in the league. No goalie is going to have success playing on that Sabres team. If we could get an extended Miller for Hiller+1st I'd be quite happy. Trade Fasth in the off-season and roll with Miller-Andersen next year.

Yeaoh

Jun 14, 2011
Austria
I want no part of the cap hit it would take to re-sign a 33 year old washed up Miller. Wanna bet he wants a long term deal? At least 4 years? Yuk.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
If I had to guess based off other teams goalie needs, I could see Hiller being sent to:

EDM
PHI
NYI
CGY
TB?

Pretty good list but CGY and TB are probably out of the question. CGY has a pretty good goalie in Rämö and I think they have few promising goalies in their system. TB just traded for a goalie and I don't think they'll be getting another one so soon. Also Buffalo could be an option as well.

So that leaves EDM, PHI and NYI. All seem as likely to me, the Ducks have trading history with each of them. Maybe the teams from the East are more likely because the Ducks seems to send their good players there (Ryan atleast).

What kind of return would Hiller really get? I would like to see him traded in a bigger deal for a top4 defender.

duxfan8

Sep 13, 2011
South Bay
I'd do 2 years on Miller, but that's it. He could come here, live near his wife and actually play like the old Miller, but no guarantees he is better with another team. Who knows. He should be dealt eventually though.

Emerald Duck

Dec 9, 2009
Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim, CA
I'd move Hiller if there is a deal to be made. Let Fasth and Andersen become the new 1A/1B since it doesn't seem to impact the team's ability to play in front of a different goalie each night.

Whether Hiller gets moved for prospects and/or picks or part of a larger package for a Top 4 dman depends on what is available. Unfortunately the teams that are struggling with their goaltending don't have an abundance of dmen either that would be available AND an upgrade for us either.

mightyquack

Apr 28, 2010
1382813_10151970001279819_1583351648_n.jpg

Ducksgo*

I would trade Hiller and Fasth for Miller so fast.

Whoa Whoa whoa. Seriously? Gain our main goaltender and a potential main goaltender for Miller?

Makes no sense for a Anaheim perspective knowing Andersen's extension and Gibson being a possible franchise goalie.

Miller will command a long term contract that we can't afford with another log jam like forwards, but this time a goalie.

Ducksgo*

IMO Miller is still a top 5 goalie in the league. No goalie is going to have success playing on that Sabres team. If we could get an extended Miller for Hiller+1st I'd be quite happy. Trade Fasth in the off-season and roll with Miller-Andersen next year.

What are we doing with Gibson? Miller will likely sign a long term contract here. Trading a goalie for a goalie isn't good in my eyes.

Prospects or picks are prolly what Murray is thinking for our goalie situation. Or a Package for a dman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad