Post-Game Talk: Freddy needs to be better. Leafs lose in OT

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
One of the better offensive defenceman isn't very good lol. Is your narrative to go after players when they make a bad play? How's the Nylander is bad stuff going for you?
Barrie will likely. Never resign in toronto
My main narrative was reiterated by Kelly hrudy on HNIC stating that he had a very stretch of uninterested play
I've been a leafs fan too long to drink the koolaid
Barrie isnt even excelling in a system tailor made for him

likecheese

Oct 21, 2019
Colorado has a combined 249-233-43-15 since 2012-13 when Barrie entered the league full time, 1484 GF and 1600 GA in that time. Barrie has also posted seasons of -16, -34, -15 in those years, so whatever his strengths and weaknesses he brings to are obvious.

Game tying goal vs Carolina. Breakaway/Buchnevich play last night.
4th goal vs NJ also (3:00 mark)
Equal-time incompetence toward both Hutch and Freddie, they probably both want to strangle him.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Barrie will likely. Never resign in toronto
My main narrative was reiterated by Kelly hrudy on HNIC stating that he had a very stretch of uninterested play
I've been a leafs fan too long to drink the koolaid
Barrie isnt even excelling in a system tailor made for him

The forwards have been terrible defensively.

I know in a perfect world we assume a good D and a good goalie can stop everything and anything, but that's not true lol.

For example, Barrie has been terrible at 2 on 1 plays. But have people stopped to think why do we have so many 2 on 1's against? Barrie reads the play to get into position, but why on earth is their no forward covering for Rielly when he pinches?

Even if/when Barrie leaves, we're still going to have issues with this till it's resolved.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I know in a perfect world we assume a good D and a good goalie can stop everything and anything, but that's not true lol.

For example, Barrie has been terrible at 2 on 1 plays. But have people stopped to think why do we have so many 2 on 1's against? Barrie reads the play to get into position, but why on earth is their no forward covering for Rielly when he pinches?

Even if/when Barrie leaves, we're still going to have issues with this till it's resolved.

This is true. Barrie isn't a one man defensive trainwreck. He's often the victim of a Morgan Rielly brain fart and lack of defensive coverage from a forward, but at the same time we need to clarify the offensive responsibilities on D, like Rielly is the one that roves, you have a safety valve covering for him, and the centerman plays high to cover.

Or, maybe we have enough offensive talent up front that we can do without Barrie, replace him with a smarter transition defenseman, and just put the shackles on Rielly offensively.

Leaf4Life

Feb 8, 2010
4th goal vs NJ also (3:00 mark)
Equal-time incompetence toward both Hutch and Freddie, they probably both want to strangle him.

Wow Barrie barely looks at the goal scorer there.. no wonder he can't cut off the passing lane, he doesn't know where the other guy is.

Kapi looked bad there too though. Giveaway plus couldn't take away the pass - he was right there.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005

I agree .Colorado doesnt mis a beat

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Discuss
We were the better team throughout. Turnovers are an issue, but we got out goalied. Team has carried Freddy 3 games in a row.

Yeah really. How many bail outs do we owe him now? 30/40 at least they are paying their dept down ;)

likecheese

Oct 21, 2019
Wow Barrie barely looks at the goal scorer there.. no wonder he can't cut off the passing lane, he doesn't know where the other guy is.

Kapi looked bad there too though. Giveaway plus couldn't take away the pass - he was right there.
Still not as bad as last night's:

I'm not trying to destroy the guy, I've harped on this 10x and he was fine otherwise.
But Sheldon needs to get him some coaching help here.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

I'm not trying to destroy the guy, I've harped on this 10x and he was fine otherwise.

Definitely needs to watch some film. It’s an easy fix.

However blaming the defender on a 2 on 1 is like blaming the goalie on a breakaway. Can be an issue, but the underlying reason is why that situation happened to begin with.

But overall, yeah, Hakatol needs to watch some film with him about defending that

Bluebear

Nov 30, 2018
don't get how Andy gets blamed when we're basically playing shinny in front of him

I agree, Andersen didn't play badly last night at all. Georgiev played fantastic and the Leafs didn't pick the corners when they had their chances. Leafs outchanced the rangers big time from what I saw, but the Rangers executed. Game came down to shot placement. Can't win em all and I don't think it's fair to blame Anderson for the loss.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Leaf4Life

Feb 8, 2010

Brutal.. Not even close. He's just aimlessly flailing around but never at any point is he actually between the passer and shooter.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
It's frustrating to have our big guns play SO well on a night like last night and still come away with the loss.

Giving up too many high end chances of late and Freddie usually there but not always.

Reactions: Antropovsky

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Another fantastic game from the Keefe Leafs. Once again, complete domination through unbridled aggression. Sometimes you don't get two points, but you definitely stack the odds in your favour when you play like this. Andersen does occasionally lay some shitters, and that's another reason why we need to just absolutely jack up the game, make it weird and uncomfortable for the opponent, and just pressure, gamble, attack. f*** the consequences. We're more talented than the other guys, so we're going to win most often.

I want the Leafs to play like this every night. f*** the haters. You don't like hockey. You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like, baby!!!!!!

GO LEAFS GO!!! Don't make plans for the middle of June, boys and girls!!!

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Keefe is obviously a great coach, and is doing many great things -- both small details, and big philosophical shifts -- but one of my favourites is that he recognises when a player is getting their shit pushed in, and stops giving them icetime. It's probably the single biggest on-ice improvement we've seen.

Can you believe that there are people unhappy with an organisation with a 12-4-1 record, 73.5% point capture? 2nd in the Atlantic after the horrific Babcock start, and 8-1-1 in the last 10.

Reactions: leafsfan5

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Hopefully the work Keefe is doing is still in progress. As fun as this all offence is to watch, it’s not a recipe for success.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
If 12-4-1 isn't success to you, you don't like hockey.

Don’t mean to stick my nose in here but I think he’s referring to some of the blatantly poor defensive coverage/effort at times. Our strength is our offense, no doubt that’s gonna mean sometimes taking gambles that don’t pay off, but other times it’s a bit too much. Against teams like Boston, Tampa etc. that might not work. I agree against some of the teams we’ve played we can get away with that strategy cause our offence is that lethal and their defence is not good enough, but we will need to adjust to our opponents, but I believe in Keefe, I think we will! Cheers

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
Hopefully the work Keefe is doing is still in progress. As fun as this all offence is to watch, it’s not a recipe for success.

Would you have made this observation with the great Oilers teams from the 80s or the 2 times Cup winning Pens from 2 years ago.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Would you have made this observation with the great Oilers teams from the 80s or the 2 times Cup winning Pens from 2 years ago.
Observation is on the 2019-2020 Leafs, that’s really all that concerns me.
If you see them winning the cup this year and next that’s your prerogative. Hope you’re right.

Last edited:

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017

This offensive hockey is 100 percent a recipe for success with this Leafs team, there are other ways to win in the NHL than playing no event hockey that's as true in May as it is in October. They need to clean up some of the breakdowns but for the most part I don't buy at all that you can't win in the playoffs playing an offensively oriented game. They've had great defensive games under Keefe already as well, and when I say "defensive" I mean they had the puck the whole time.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
This offensive hockey is 100 percent a recipe for success with this Leafs team, there are other ways to win in the NHL than playing no event hockey that's as true in May as it is in October. They need to clean up some of the breakdowns but for the most part I don't buy at all that you can't win in the playoffs playing an offensively oriented game. They've had great defensive games under Keefe already as well, and when I say "defensive" I mean they had the puck the whole time.
I agree
Time will tell

Reactions: Ryan Michaels

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
We will probably have a lot of fun watching this Leaf team succeed rather than worrying whether other teams from other years did it differently.

I'm entertained by this team and hope it's the right way to go so let's enjoy and expect the best.
I said earlier it’s very entertaining. The Carolina game may have been the best regular season game I’ve ever attended.
They need to clean things up for any success.
Another 1st round loss shouldn’t be considered any type of success.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Definitely need to clean things up... the promising part is that many goals have been results of the new system. Players not managing the puck well on the point resulting in odd man rushes... or defenders making bad pinches.

It does seem a little choatic at times though... im curious to see how a team like Boston plays against this system, or Washington... and curious to see if other teams find a way to defend against it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad