Post-Game Talk: FREDDY IS BACK! Leafs win 4-0

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
I think a lot of us fear Boston and Washington because they know how to grind you out in playoffs. But you have to admit to get 2 grind it out D men and another grind it out winger who can skate is a pretty tall order. Certainly can't do that with barrie only. So that means its using Kappy/Kerfoot plus picks/prospects. I don't want to trade Kappy I guess. I think guys like that are super rare. Even though I agree we need 2 more vet defenders to get through a playoff grind. Injuries will occur.

Well, this is wishful thinking, I'm obviously not privy to what's out there and costs. I do think Leafs have much more room now with the injuries, ironically. All of this is me going to the far end of possibilities. I'm not unrealistic by nature, I'm just throwing this out there. We have to assume Dubas and his team are going to cover all scenarios from standing pat, to something like this. If we are to believe that Dubas believes in this team as he says, we have to assume he thinks getting into the playoffs means limitless possibilities.

So, that precursor to this post, setting the ground work, if you will. This would be the "wishful, bolder, higher risk" scenario:

In a perfect "go for it now without risking the future" deadline, I imagine you can get a more solid, physical D man for this year and next in exchange for point producing Barrie, at near equal contract value. Teams need a point man on their PP, we could some more physical, stay at home types.

You can then use your extra cap money now available for a rental D. You give up a 3rd or 4th rounder for someone that team couldn't afford to (or didn't want) to have around. Probably later in the deadline cycle. Such a trade is not just a return for an asset the other team won't sign, it's also cash saved for that team. Few teams have the room under the cap, nor the inclination to spend as the Leafs do.

If Reilly returns for the playoffs, that would be 2 additional D men added to improve the defense of the back end and one healthy point producer returned. If they have $8M available, most eaten up by the rental, they could even add a depth forward.

Again, this is the extreme situation. I'm going under a number of assumptions. From what's available, to what we can pick up, to injury situations, what we have to give up (and replace), and, even how much more the Leafs are willing to invest in this year.

There is no question though, that Dubas, management and ownership want to make the playoffs. He's still a young GM, but he's already shown himself to be creative. I keep the faith and I hope he at least takes a serious look at this type of scenario. I think there is a good argument to be made for all scenarios, but I think at least one D man should be the goal.

Jack Flask

Jan 21, 2020
Happy for the effort and win, but "they now know what the magic ingredient is" ? How could players that have made to the NHL not know that until now?
Fair enough. It goes something like this: “elevating your play; buying in; going through a wall; playing selflessly; etc etc etc.
Go in a team room theres usually a motto or inspirational quote up on the wall or whatever.
Why talented teams like the Leafs arent inspired like that after all the hockey theyve played, maybe you have the answer.
I think my previous posts explain why I think they showed up with compete, grit, and elevated their play with the intangibles for that game

Jack Flask

Jan 21, 2020
The only question is when guys figure it out. No one knows. Why did Kappy come out and play like his life depended on it? If you can figure that one out every night you would be rich.
Ya something happened. I hear Kappy was pissed at practice and it was a rough one. They came in with a different approach, and its what they need every night.
Theres alot of great talented players who drag their teams down with lack of effort and are self centered. Not saying this is the complete story with Leafs but the effort could be better and it was in that game.
I hope they can carry it forward

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I only caught the first period but were the Pens really that bad in this game?

Yes, they couldn’t muster anything at all. We bottled them completely.

It was probably the most complete game I’ve seen the Leafs play in a long long time.

My comment was purely sarcastic though because people here flip flop from the sky is falling to the Leafs are amazing every game.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Malgin plays 15 minutes in a Leafs win, while Marchment doesn't play in a Florida loss.

d96.jpg

kb

Aug 28, 2009
First, wow what a novel idea showing up to do your job. A job that pays you millions of dollars. Look I am happy for the win but this team is 1-6-1 Vs TB, Bruins and Panthers. Until we start beating these teams and play like tonight for a sustained period Of times I reserve patting this team on the back.

Also, Is Brobrovsky on the TML payroll?????

In a roundabout way.....revenue sharing.....

Reactions: glue

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
First, wow what a novel idea showing up to do your job. A job that pays you millions of dollars. Look I am happy for the win but this team is 1-6-1 Vs TB, Bruins and Panthers. Until we start beating these teams and play like tonight for a sustained period Of times I reserve patting this team on the back.

Also, Is Brobrovsky on the TML payroll?????
Leafs are the Panthers sugar daddy

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
These guys have been in the league 4 years, there are no excuses at this point. Plus once they asked for elite money, they better well act like it every single day.

Yeah, they acted like grownups on the "take" side, now they've got to act like grownups on the "give" side.

It's not easy to play that hard, practice that hard, workout that hard, watch your diet, etc. each and every day.

OTOH, I think most of us also know it's not easy to get a $10 Million (US!) gig either.

So... it's time for our guys to put on their big boy pants.

My guess is they haven't quite internalized what and how to do it yet. But these past 2 games took them a long way towards it.

Reactions: shanwhatplan

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Now that was a great game. Freddy stepped up with allot of pressure on him. And the whole team played great. What could you possibly complain about?

Now can you do that consistently? Not just cause your getting yelled at. We know it's there.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Well what to make of that. Effort and compete, what concepts...

I'm not sure if it was just them put in a position where they would've had another 40 hours of media and fans ripping them which created almost a playoff elimination type of feel that urged that performance, but there it was.

I still feel about the same with them because these things have occurred too frequently, but there was some kind of response, for that game anyway.

Malgin looked ok (didn't get in to the middle enough though), Kapanen had his best game in ages, Kerfoot didn't do nothing and Fred was a rock in net.

NikoEhlers

May 2, 2013
Aalborg, Denmark
We have around 20 games to figure out who to trade in the off season, just keep the guys you have, no rentals at least, and if players have unworkable character issues that doesnt get better with the season on the line then get what you can for them in the off season. With the exception of Sandin and Liljegren who gets to have a pass, we need to be ruthless about players with character problems

willmma

Jan 5, 2017

I'm not sure if it was just them put in a position where they would've had another 40 hours of media and fans ripping them which created almost a playoff elimination type of feel that urged that performance, but there it was.

I still feel about the same with them because these things have occurred too frequently, but there was some kind of response, for that game anyway.

Malgin looked ok (didn't get in to the middle enough though), Kapanen had his best game in ages, Kerfoot didn't do nothing and Fred was a rock in net.

Have to disagree with that.

danron1376

Jan 3, 2011
No. They don't. We want to believe that. Reality is, all teams have ups and downs. Good teams stay up longer
except that's what consistent means (or what i attempted to say). i didn't say perfect all the time.

Last edited:

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Muzzin was an absolute BEAST!!!

Calls out his teammates, then turns on beast mode... LEADERSHIP.
You call out your team-mates you better step it up yourself...I could criticize his game recently as well.Maybe havin his buddy Clifford on the team emboldened him to speak up.

It's gotta take more than a bit of diplomacy to criticize the young stars that, on one hand have been carrying the team offensively,but could still give more of an effort in their defensive responsibility. Maybe they need to hear it from the older guys,even if those older guys aren't as good. In a tough love kinda way.Anyway,good for him ,this team appears to be without bona-fide leadership...therefore identity suffers as well. Johnny T is a wonderful player who leads by example(most games) but maybe he isn't the one to rally the troops! I don't know ,maybe they need to sort it out yet!

shaner82

Apr 18, 2017
Now thinking about it, gotta rant again!

You are absolutely right, the Leafs are close, they are just around 4 players from being a legitimate favourite to be a cup finalist at least.

So what does Dubas do?

He gets another small forward for crying out loud!!

Then this ringer gets to play on the 2nd line besides the $11 million dollar man. The organization playing the same games with the players when Babcock was still in town.

This Dubas never going to learn.

Next year is year 5 of the big three together. The Leafs are not winning this year. It is all about the next year and year after that. The team needs the right players now!

Can Dubas deliver?

Sure, if we want another small forward.

What a guy.

Fire him!

:deadhorse

Some people are just never happy. Dubas traded away a player who is a fringe NHL player at best, and more like an AHL player, and got a pretty good return back. On top of that, he managed to do that with a team that is competing with us for a playoff spot. Marchment just isn't any good. How can you find a negative in that trade?

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019

I thought Kerfoot played okay. He’s definitely more suited to play in the bottom 6, and he did make a nice pass to Kapanen for his breakaway goal.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Some people are just never happy. Dubas traded away a player who is a fringe NHL player at best, and more like an AHL player, and got a pretty good return back. On top of that, he managed to do that with a team that is competing with us for a playoff spot. Marchment just isn't any good. How can you find a negative in that trade?

That goes the other way too, though. Why was Tallon willing to do the trade with us?
But Marchment certainly wasn’t ready this year. I wonder if working with (Barb Underhill?) in the off-season on his skating would have made a big enough difference?

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
That goes the other way too, though. Why was Tallon willing to do the trade with us?
But Marchment certainly wasn’t ready this year. I wonder if working with (Barb Underhill?) in the off-season on his skating would have made a big enough difference?
Why does anyone trade ? To address needs. Simple as that

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
I’m sure it has already been said a few times, that was about as complete a game as the Leafs have played this season. But it’s only one game. Let’s see if they can put a nice stretch together of these types of games. It’s a shame that the coach has to call the team out for them to play this way.
I guess maybe it’s just a maturity thing. Maybe these are baby steps they’re taking. Maybe they’re still a season or two away (maybe even longer) from putting it all together and becoming a legitimate Cup contender.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Why does anyone trade ? To address needs. Simple as that

RIght, which is what Tallon did as well. Who’s to say Malgin (not sure if that’s his name) won’t turn out to be a fringe player too?
I’m only saying this because you made it sound like we pulled one over on Florida. Maybe we did, time will tell, but it will definitely take more than one game to see.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017

Well said.

Also, that addition allowed Keefe to reassemble the Engvall Kerfoot Kapanen third line..

With that trade, we ended up with a goal from each of our top three lines.

*Willy's was a pp goal

Reactions: stickty111

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
You call out your team-mates you better step it up yourself...I could criticize his game recently as well.Maybe havin his buddy Clifford on the team emboldened him to speak up.

It's gotta take more than a bit of diplomacy to criticize the young stars that, on one hand have been carrying the team offensively,but could still give more of an effort in their defensive responsibility. Maybe they need to hear it from the older guys,even if those older guys aren't as good. In a tough love kinda way.Anyway,good for him ,this team appears to be without bona-fide leadership...therefore identity suffers as well. Johnny T is a wonderful player who leads by example(most games) but maybe he isn't the one to rally the troops! I don't know ,maybe they need to sort it out yet!
Since returning from his injury he has taken a bit to get back to his old form... HOWEVER, since the trade that brought Muzzin in last year, he has (by a WIDE margin) been consistently our best defender... particularly inside the d-zone, we don't have another defender even in the same universe. Maybe you didn't notice how badly the play of the D dropped off when Muzzin got injured, but he's the only one back there capable of legitimately defending top-line forwards...

As for leadership, it certainly helps bringing in 2 veterans that have been through the battle and have their names etched into the cup... younger guys tend to listen to proven winners. Kudos to Dubas for bringing that element into the group... it's needed.

toasterart

Mar 31, 2015
They've gotta realize that that was game one of one thousand playing the right way. There will be another stinker or two before the year is done, it's inevitable, but they need to play hockey like that every game that they wear the Maple Leaf uniform. It's not a magical high, or a game of a lifetime. That needs to be what they strive for every single night. Find an identity in knowing that if they work their buns off, they're almost unbeatable. They worked their butts off and were fantastic defensively. They worked their butts off and generated a ton of extra time and space for their offense. They worked their butts off and they should be proud of themselves and satisfied. But complacency has been their downfall and what has held them back. That work ethic must become their new normal. Build on this, one game at a time until that identity is unshakable.

They've got the players to be a powerhouse. The will and ability is within them. This team can contend or they can pretend and the choice is in their hands. The GM can only do so much and the coach can only do so much. Don't let this be a high point of the season, let it be the beginning of a decade.

- post this in their locker room-

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad