Post-Game Talk: FREDDY IS BACK! Leafs win 4-0

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
I actually think Tavares is the same way. Other than Hyman, no one works as hard for pucks than John. He's so robotic even in his gameplay, just relentless. He relies more on his stick but he has no problem gumming it up in the corners either.

Hyman, Tavares, Muzzin, Kerfoot - those are some players that have the right work ethic each night.

Add Kap to that list

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
That might have been one of the best overall games they have played this season. The Leafs were finishing their checks, passing well, grinding it out, and were very determined to get the puck back. They actually back-checked and were not lazy the entire game. I was very pleased with their effort. EFFORT and being hard to play against should not be a one game thing. They only proved that they can do it. The hard part is doing it EVERY game. Hard work is HARD to do consistently. That's what the winners do in all aspects of life.

Great, they played well. Now do it again and again and again straight into the playoffs. I don't know if they have it in them. The motivation this time was embarrassment, negative media coverage, and the recognition that time is running out on the regular season.

Playing this way takes a lot of energy and I'm sure many of them were dragging themselves out of bed this morning. The winners recover faster from the fatigue with better eating habits, proper rest, and elite conditioning. I don't know how many of the Leafs are in great 200' condition. I've said in the past ------> many of them save their energy for offense only. They probably feel that giving 100% effort on every shift will affect their offensive numbers.

This is why many hated Phil Kessel when he was in Toronto. He floated in his own zone, away from the puck, waiting for the breakaway pass. That's a selfish way to play. I don't know what happened in Pitt but they are a 'defense first' team and Crosby would not have accepted selfish, lazy play from anyone. Kessel relented to peer pressure and became a winner. That's the next step the Leafs must conquer if they want to be a legit contender.

Reactions: mclaren55

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
Our stars didn’t want to leave any money on the table so there’s no excuses for them not giving this kind of effort every night. Keep it up and this team can be unstoppable.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Pens fan here today,

What a difference.

The Leaf's were better along the boards and away from the puck, not great but good.

However, the Leaf's totally clogged the neutral zone and prevented the Penguins from having any speed. Unlike Tuesday you took away the wall and forced the play up the middle. The Penguins have had trouble since doumo and Marino went out with countering that tactic.

Defensively, your winger stayed high and your centers stayed low.

Let me repeat that....

Your wingers stayed high and your centers stayed low.

That made all the difference.

From the Penguins perspective there is a noticeable difference with Jarry and Murray in the ability of the goalie to handle the puck and start the breakout. Murry stays mostly in the net and the Leafs were able to come with speed and distrupt the Pens defender making that first pass.

In a playoff series against the Leafs the Pens will have to start Jarry because he is able to come out and play the puck giving Pens Defenders that extra second to make a play. The leafs forwards are soo fast fast fast.

Good game and good luck the rest of the year! Always welcome in the Burg!

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
The only question is when guys figure it out. No one knows. Why did Kappy come out and play like his life depended on it? If you can figure that one out every night you would be rich.

I would argue that they all have it figured out, but knowing what to do and actually doing it consistently are very different.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Eye Test

End the soft perimeter hockey.
Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
You don't trade this Kapanen, but he can't be the only one willing to do that.

Klifford and Kapanen, need another Killer out there.

Kapanen is no killer lol you could tell by the way he stood to fight last night. Kudos to him for standing up for himself though give him 100% credit more of our guys need to do that.

We need a big bruiser defenseman instead of marincin and need another “killer” in the bottom 6

Reactions: ULF_55

Eye Test

End the soft perimeter hockey.
Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
This is baffling. We are 60 games into the season and now they are talking about work ethic. I mean you should know this from the day you are drafted.

There’s a huge difference between being in highschool playing ohl puck and playing in the NHL in terms of work ethic. Then add Crosby Roberts etc level of work ethic to the mix and it adds a whole other level to the nhl compared to any other league. Hard to claim what you just did.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Look at that, you're getting "likes" today instead of being threatened with a banning. :sarcasm:

We're so much more welcoming when we win. :laugh:

I didn't take offense I am just too old to get caught up in the results much. I enjoy hockey, especially good hockey.

I catch a lot of Edmonton and Toronto games because I enjoy the way they play (And Matthews and McDavid and Drai respectively haha).

Believe it or not, the Leafs make some of the most beautiful and entertaining plays in the league on a regular basis. So skilled.

Enjoy it while it lasts. You'll make the playoffs and you'll do damage soon (maybe even this year).

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
Pens fan here today,

What a difference.

The Leaf's were better along the boards and away from the puck, not great but good.

However, the Leaf's totally clogged the neutral zone and prevented the Penguins from having any speed. Unlike Tuesday you took away the wall and forced the play up the middle. The Penguins have had trouble since doumo and Marino went out with countering that tactic.

Defensively, your winger stayed high and your centers stayed low.

Let me repeat that....

Your wingers stayed high and your centers stayed low.

That made all the difference.

From the Penguins perspective there is a noticeable difference with Jarry and Murray in the ability of the goalie to handle the puck and start the breakout. Murry stays mostly in the net and the Leafs were able to come with speed and distrupt the Pens defender making that first pass.

In a playoff series against the Leafs the Pens will have to start Jarry because he is able to come out and play the puck giving Pens Defenders that extra second to make a play. The leafs forwards are soo fast fast fast.

Good game and good luck the rest of the year! Always welcome in the Burg!

ive always wanted to travel to Pittsburgh and have a primanti brothers sandwich!

Reactions: Al14 and Richard

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
There’s a huge difference between being in highschool playing ohl puck and playing in the NHL in terms of work ethic. Then add Crosby Roberts etc level of work ethic to the mix and it adds a whole other level to the nhl compared to any other league. Hard to claim what you just did.

These guys have been in the league 4 years, there are no excuses at this point. Plus once they asked for elite money, they better well act like it every single day.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
The only question is when guys figure it out. No one knows. Why did Kappy come out and play like his life depended on it? If you can figure that one out every night you would be rich.

Maybe the trade made him feel he's on the way out and he wants to send a message?

I don't know. I suspect (and fear), after Mondays deadline everyone will relax and play weak again. This is why I say, if I am Dubas, I ignore any one game and address the need. It didn't change after one game. Find a grinding D man (or two). If it's a big high priced rental or two for cheap, with some guys with experience (even better if they have a history of winning), which we can eat for the next couple of months, do it.

Playoffs are tough to attain. Keep the momentum going as a franchise and find some answers that help them in the push. I don't care what anyone says, I don't care about stats. Get in and anything can happen. I've said, I feel Leafs don't match well against Boston or the Caps, I think they have the ability to beat anyone else. Even against the Caps and Bruins Leafs have taken both teams to 7 and 6 games.

This tweaking down the stretch is on Dubas. Unlike some, and for all my complaints about his past contract negotiations (I've liked all his trades); I have faith in him to figure it out.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Maybe the trade made him feel he's on the way out and he wants to send a message?

I don't know. I suspect (and fear), after Mondays deadline everyone will relax and play weak again. This is why I say, if I am Dubas, I ignore any one game and address the need. It didn't change after one game. Find a grinding D man (or two). If it's a big high priced rental or two for cheap, with some guys with experience (even better if they have a history of winning), which we can eat for the next couple of months, do it.

Playoffs are tough to attain. Keep the momentum going as a franchise and find some answers that help them in the push. I don't care what anyone says, I don't care about stats. Get in and anything can happen. I've said, I feel Leafs don't match well against Boston or the Caps, I think they have the ability to beat anyone else. Even against the Caps and Bruins Leafs have taken both teams to 7 and 6 games.

This tweaking down the stretch is on Dubas. Unlike some, and for all my complaints about his past contract negotiations (I've liked all his trades); I have faith in him to figure it out.
I think a lot of us fear Boston and Washington because they know how to grind you out in playoffs. But you have to admit to get 2 grind it out D men and another grind it out winger who can skate is a pretty tall order. Certainly can't do that with barrie only. So that means its using Kappy/Kerfoot plus picks/prospects. I don't want to trade Kappy I guess. I think guys like that are super rare. Even though I agree we need 2 more vet defenders to get through a playoff grind. Injuries will occur.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I have a good feeling that if the Leafs get in the playoffs playing like this or very close to this, they will upset TB or Boston. Just a gut feeling I have. I really like Keefe, specifically.

Play like we did last night and we`ll have a fighting chance against them. Sure we could win but it`s definitely not a given. What is almost certain though is if we don`t play like we can, we will get crushed by either of those teams.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Play like we did last night and we`ll have a fighting chance against them. Sure we could win but it`s definitely not a given. What is almost certain though is if we don`t play like we can, we will get crushed by either of those teams.

Fine, I'll take a close series that could go either way. I just always believed that this team has a switch they can just turn on and start playing like men. Sorry for being optimistic :nod:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Fine, I'll take a close series that could go either way. I just always believed that this team has a switch they can just turn on and start playing like men. Sorry for being optimistic :nod:

Yeah I`ll gladly take a close series against either one of those elite teams as well. I dunno if it`s as easy as flipping a switch though, it`s one thing to flip a switch and play a good game, it`s another thing entirely to flip a switch and play at an elite level for a month or two.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->