Speculation: Freddy Andersens worth in trade?

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Not sure why people are so high on Bennett, not great offensively, good, but not great defensively, not overly physical. I'd rather just go for picks.
He would allow one of Johnsson or Kerfoot to be traded, thus saving more cap. And he's a nasty piece of work to play against, along with putting up 8 points in 10 playoff games including 5 goals.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
The 1M in base salary helps. However, he'd still potentially be in his walk year. Not sure how that balances out in terms of trade value. I suppose the market would be contenders looking for a starter.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
He’s a rental. But gives a team who needs to cut budget a savings of 4m real dollars while keeping them competitive.

Gotta be a first right?

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Maybe a 1st + if his new team gets to negotiate an extension before the deal is completed. Otherwise a 2nd, 4th plus a legit NHL prospect with a lower ceiling.

Reactions: saffronleaf

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Freddy has a modified NTC, with a 10-team blacklist (teams he can’t be traded to). Does anyone know what this list is?

He’s worth the most for teams meeting these criteria:
  • Needs a goalie
  • Don’t spend to the cap, limited by real money
  • Don’t think they can sign a top UFA goalie, or think the UFAs will be too pricey/long-term/risky. Worth noting that this is a pretty strong year for UFA goalies - Lehner, Markstrom, Holtby, Khudobin, Crawford, Greiss, etc.
For teams like that, he’s easily worth a mid-to-late 1st. The question is, are there any such teams who aren’t on his blacklist?

Furthermore, I’d be uncomfortable going into the season with Jack Campbell as our clear #1. I’d only deal Freddy if we can sign a new #1, or at least someone who can be part of a tandem with Campbell.

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Based on rumours, a good 1st round pick (i.e. 19th overall from Calgary). He is immensely valuable under the current circumstances, and teams would love to be able to add a quality starter for 1 mill, even if it is only for one year.

Bennett and the rights to Talbot from Calgary?

Bennett is not worth that much. You can probably get him for spare parts just for Calgary to dump the cap hit. He had a good playoffs, but I think they would take pretty much anything they can get at this point, because he is a black hole offensively and he is not really anything special defensively either.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
He's worth way more to us than in a trade.

With Holtby and Kuemper available in trade, teams will be reluctant to give up assets for him until after the draft and maybe even after how free agency shapes up.

We should keep him because without him, I highly doubt we even make the playoffs.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
He's worth way more to us than in a trade.

With Holtby and Kuemper available in trade, teams will be reluctant to give up assets for him until after the draft and maybe even after how free agency shapes up.

We should keep him because without him, I highly doubt we even make the playoffs.
Holtby is a UFA. Teams are looking to cut costs, and there isn't a better goalie out there for $1 million in actual money.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Based on rumours, a good 1st round pick (i.e. 19th overall from Calgary). He is immensely valuable under the current circumstances, and teams would love to be able to add a quality starter for 1 mill, even if it is only for one year.

Bennett is not worth that much. You can probably get him for spare parts just for Calgary to dump the cap hit. He had a good playoffs, but I think they would take pretty much anything they can get at this point, because he is a black hole offensively and he is not really anything special defensively either.
Well, Bennett has 15 points in 19 games over the last 3 playoffs for the Flames. And he's cheaper and younger than both Kerfoot and Johnsson.

Reactions: Leafin

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Holtby is a UFA. Teams are looking to cut costs, and there isn't a better goalie out there for $1 million in actual money.

Apologies. Yes, I know, Holtby is a FA. Hence, the reference to free agency.

I just don't think a team will give up enough to entice the Leafs. If we go with Campbell as a number 1, that's a huge risk.

Reactions: kb

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Apologies. Yes, I know, Holtby is a FA. Hence, the reference to free agency.

I just don't think a team will give up enough to entice the Leafs. If we go with Campbell as a number 1, that's a huge risk.
Oh it's definitely a risk. It will all depend who is in front of him though. But I suspect there will be a much lower cost tandem.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Freddy has a modified NTC, with a 10-team blacklist (teams he can’t be traded to). Does anyone know what this list is?

He’s worth the most for teams meeting these criteria:
  • Needs a goalie
  • Don’t spend to the cap, limited by real money
  • Don’t think they can sign a top UFA goalie, or think the UFAs will be too pricey/long-term/risky. Worth noting that this is a pretty strong year for UFA goalies - Lehner, Markstrom, Holtby, Khudobin, Crawford, Greiss, etc.
For teams like that, he’s easily worth a mid-to-late 1st. The question is, are there any such teams who aren’t on his blacklist?

Furthermore, I’d be uncomfortable going into the season with Jack Campbell as our clear #1. I’d only deal Freddy if we can sign a new #1, or at least someone who can be part of a tandem with Campbell.

I think if the Leafs do end up trading him theyll sign a guy to platoon with Camlbell in a tandem rather than havjng a clear cut starter and backup. So they can just ride whomever gets hot for a time

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
The 1M in base salary helps. However, he'd still potentially be in his walk year. Not sure how that balances out in terms of trade value. I suppose the market would be contenders looking for a starter.
It’s teams under self imposed cap at a lower limit that can get a starter of high quality at a million bucks but a cap hit of 5 million. Lots will be interested.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad