Speculation: Freddy Andersens worth in trade?

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
I think there's a strong market out there for his services.

Hes coming off an "All-star" season and there's certainly enough people that believe he was a victim of Keefes new system in this fanbase let alone outside it that a first+ isn't outside the realm of possibilities.

I echo others here that we woukd need a solid replacement going forward though.

Campbell isn't going to be that guy. He just looked decent compared to how badly Andersen was struggling around the same time.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
2nd

Tons of goalies on the market. You know how we love to say that we'll just sign a guy for free? Lots of teams thinking that instead of trading a premium asset like a 1st for Freddy. One year left on his deal and the $5m cap hit are also negatives towards his value. Not to mention he was brutal in the regular season.

The wild card is his low $1m in actual salary. That could get a team to bite and even drive the value up significantly. It's really the only thing going for us in a Freddy trade.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
If the Leafs need cap money for Petro, Brodie, etc. I think will be the biggest reason Andersen finds a new home.

A deal that makes sense is:

Freddie to Carolina (5M cap hit with 1M real dollars)

for

Mryzak 50% retained (1.5625 cap hit after retention)

Before roasting this trade consider the upgrade we could afford to the D group with an extra 3.5M, Mrazek is 28 and has been a very good platoon the last two years and that Freddie has been outplayed every playoff series as a Leaf.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Kangal

Feb 21, 2017
There are too many Quality free agent goalies on the Market that would prevent us from trading Freddie for a 1st round pick. After free agency when the dust settles, you might get a 2nd round for him. At this point no one will give you a 1st especially with the year that Freddie had

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
There are too many Quality free agent goalies on the Market that would prevent us from trading Freddie for a 1st round pick. After free agency when the dust settles, you might get a 2nd round for him. At this point no one will give you a 1st especially with the year that Freddie had
Are you considering the intangible Freddy brings in that he is a Starter at $1,000,000. He’s the only one so far that brings that variable of pushing goaltending costs a year down the road in hard revenues times. There might be a buyout that changes that. Right now there isn’t. I would rather him moving in a package actually. He could most definitely bring a quality return without the first rounder. G.M’s are stingy with 1st rounders i know.

Reactions: Kangal and kb

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Depends if they are going for Pietrangelo or not. Can't do both Kuemper and AP without moving one of Marner or Nylander.
I prefer Kuemper ha. Signing A.P scares the crap out of me. I don’t think he will drop off much over the term. The hit will cause to much instability. I expect some instability in a cap ceiling quality team. Nice to have money for deadline opportunities and occurrences that pop up too

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Well, Bennett has 15 points in 19 games over the last 3 playoffs for the Flames. And he's cheaper and younger than both Kerfoot and Johnsson.

Thats great. He has been hot for two runs. He has been far worse over large sample sizes which suggests he is unlikely going to continue that trend.

He is nowhere near Kerfoot and Johnsson. He is a 4th liner at best right now and he makes 2.5 mill. That is not worth much, and especially not worth Andersen.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
He's worth way more to us than in a trade.

With Holtby and Kuemper available in trade, teams will be reluctant to give up assets for him until after the draft and maybe even after how free agency shapes up.

We should keep him because without him, I highly doubt we even make the playoffs.

Kuemper and Holtby cost a lot more in real dollars. Holtby likely has more cap dollars too.

Kuemper does not have a huge sample size in his favor. He has had a lot of good years as a high end backup, but only one as a legit starter plus this playoff run. Andersen is pretty much the same age and has had like 5 years as being a legit starter, including multiple great playoff performances.

Andersen gets a 1st or equivalent value or he is likely not moved. Andersen is not a guy the Leafs must move, and they are not going to do it for anything less than what Dubas is asking. There are other guys on the market, but the next cheapest option will cost 3x the salary... and in this climate, that low salary is inflating his value big time.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
I could see the Avalanche making a very good offer if Lehner and Markstrom are taken off the board quickly.
They are in win now mode and have a decent assortment of prospects/picks.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
If the Leafs need cap money for Petro, Brodie, etc. I think will be the biggest reason Andersen finds a new home.

A deal that makes sense is:

Freddie to Carolina (5M cap hit with 1M real dollars)

for

Mryzak 50% retained (1.5625 cap hit after retention)

Before roasting this trade consider the upgrade we could afford to the D group with an extra 3.5M, Mrazek is 28 and has been a very good platoon the last two years and that Freddie has been outplayed every playoff series as a Leaf.

Mrazek is not a starting goalie. He's not even a "very good" platoon goalie. He's a mediocre platoon goalie behind a great defense who has generally been a major reason why Carolina can't get anywhere.

He has like mid-round pick value at best, and I could care less about his retention because I can find better goalies making slightly more than that retention in Free Agency for no assets.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I could see the Avalanche making a very good offer if Lehner and Markstrom are taken off the board quickly.
Seems like they're confident in Grubauer

KMNRB

Jul 4, 2015

I think so too. If Hutchison could win a few playoff games with the Avs, imagine what Andersen could do for them.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Detroit just took A 2nd round pick,Marc Staal and his $5,700,000 1 year cap hit from the rangers for nothing. Future considerations! Thats a strange one. They had to give Staal away and add a second round pick to do i
Freddy is the complete opposite value. He’s a #1 goalie plus the cheapest one on the Markets

Last edited:

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I think if you're trading Andersen, it's more about findign the right piece, rather than pursuing a pick.

Some ideas:

Andersen and Johnsson to Arizona for Kuemper & Crouse

- Leafs get grittiness, a player that will probably benefit from playing in a more-high skill environment. Kuemper would be an ideal tandem goalie, and both have 2 years of cap hit security.
- Coyotes get a better offensive player, and true #1 goalie. Obviously they miss out futures for Kuemper, but acquiring Andersen allows them to run with him & Hill, meaning they should have a really solid 1-2 punch in goal for $1.8m; and they can trade Raanta for futures.

The biggest question for me is -- would the Coyotes be better served trying to sign a veteran, and would any veteran want to sign there without making a ton of money?

Andersen to Washington for their 1st round pick
- Washington has no idea what they're gonna get in Ilya Samsonov, especially coming off the injury. Andersen can bear a huge workload if required, and if not, they buy another year to see what they have in Samsonov.

Calgary for something around Bennett
I think the Leafs would love to add Bennett, only being under contract for 1 year is a challenge in how much value you can attribute to him though.

Maybe Kerfoot & Andersen for Bennett + picks & prospects

(The Blockbuster Pipe Dream) Carolina
Andersen, Johnsson, Liljegren, 2nd Round Pick for Pesce & Mrazek

Mar 26, 2010
Not much. He is not a #1 goalie. He straight up sucks.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Late first or a 2nd and a very good prospect.

If we look at what Lehner got at the deadline for a handful of games and then a playoff run, that’s what we should be roughly targeting.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Management is shopping him hard.

They don't want to sign him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad