TV: Frasier getting a Reboot, Kelsey Grammer returning

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
John Laroquette never should have gone back to Dan Fielding.
Yeah the reboot is awful. Not sure how they got him but I suspect the old Michael Caine quote I've never watched it and by all accounts it's terrible, but I've seen the house it built and it's terrific applies. Although tbf most of the original cast is dead. There are only 3 main cast members alive and 2 of them appeared in the reboot (Dan and the black baliff, Bull declined).

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I get the negative predictions for this reboot... spin-off... um.... comeback show, but most people had the same low expectations for the original Frasier. It looked like a cheap spin-off of Cheers, but ended up going in a totally different direction, with some of the best writing on TV outside of Seinfeld. Maybe I'm biased, but the old episodes still work beautifully.

The safe bet is they won't come close to the magic of the original Frasier, but Grammer is a terrific comedic lead and Lyndhurst could be a great foil.

The real challenge isn't whether the new show will be good, but whether people have time for a sitcom today with so many other things happening on so many screens.

Part of the challenge with sitcoms IMO is that very few of them hit their stride until the third season or so.

When it's a spin off, people automatically compare it with the original immediately and it's often found lacking.

Reactions: Lshap

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Part of the challenge with sitcoms IMO is that very few of them hit their stride until the third season or so.

When it's a spin off, people automatically compare it with the original immediately and it's often found lacking.
RIP Attention Spans...

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
pale version of the OG IMO. Big thing is the writing. Very generic.
I do wonder for these streaming shows, how much is rush due to an 8-10 episode runtime? They don't seem to have the same HBO quality writing that had shorter seasons than network tv shows.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Two episodes in and it's... good, not great. The characters are finding their grooves, with moments of real chemistry and other moments where you can see the actors acting. The big question relates to the younger cast, who waver between carving out a unique persona and riffing on John Mahoney and David Hyde Pierce. It's obvious they haven't nailed their characters yet, so we're forced to get to know them, sometimes awkwardly. Introducing new characters is a tricky stage every show goes through, but it's especially tough for an entirely dialogue-driven show like Frasier. There's nowhere for the acting and writing to hide. They were right up front in the original series, which had some of the best writing on TV and an amazing cast. It's a tough act (literally) to follow for the reboot, but I'll try not to judge until the actors finish introducing themselves and the show relaxes a bit.

If there was any doubt, Kelsey Grammer is a fantastic lead. His delivery and body language are perfection, and he toggles between pompous and earnest with total authenticity. He carries every scene and every actor in it. So far, the few scenes he's not in are weak. It remains to be seen if the rest of the cast can generate interest on their own, or if Frasier.2 is kept alive only through Grammer's charisma.

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I want to see more of how he sold his soul of tv fame---the old show would have made more of it with actual well thought out punch lines and end result. So far I am seeing very little in well thought out stuff in this show

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I do wonder for these streaming shows, how much is rush due to an 8-10 episode runtime? They don't seem to have the same HBO quality writing that had shorter seasons than network tv shows.

About the last thing I'd expect or want from a sitcom is "HBO quality writing." Just would like to see good network tv sitcom writing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad