TV: Frasier getting a Reboot, Kelsey Grammer returning

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
I'm always skeptical of revivals like this, especially those shows that are closely linked with a particular era. They tried it with The X-Files and it didn't work. They tried it with Murphy Brown and it didn't work. I think they are supposed to try it with Mad About You (which may or may not work) and now they are trying it with Frasier. I just don't see it.

Mad About You did come back last year or maybe the year before. I didn't watch any of it. It probably didn't work because if it had we would know more about it.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Mad About You did come back last year or maybe the year before. I didn't watch any of it. It probably didn't work because if it had we would know more about it.
What is considered the right term when saying Reboot?

Is it the concept of the series with brand new actors using the same storyline, like Beverly Hills 90210 that was redone as 90210? Or like the upcoming Walker series that uses new actors playing the characters that were on the original series.

They are also reviving Punky Brewster with the original actress reprising her role, this time as a 40 something year old mother. So, it's more in line with Frasier in that the original actors are reprising their roles. Fuller House lasted 2 or 3 seasons?

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
What is considered the right term when saying Reboot?

Is it the concept of the series with brand new actors using the same storyline, like Beverly Hills 90210 that was redone as 90210? Or like the upcoming Walker series that uses new actors playing the characters that were on the original series.

They are also reviving Punky Brewster with the original actress reprising her role, this time as a 40 something year old mother. So, it's more in line with Frasier in that the original actors are reprising their roles. Fuller House lasted 2 or 3 seasons?

I don't know. I would probably use reboot for same actors and remake for different actors. But then again reboot is kind of like restarting something too so that would go against my first instinct of what a reboot is.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012

You know earlier this year when AI chatbots went viral and people speculated what it would do for the future of media? Here you go. Make a Frasier reboot and put Rodney from Only Fools and Horses in it. Horrid.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013

You know earlier this year when AI chatbots went viral and people speculated what it would do for the future of media? Here you go. Make a Frasier reboot and put Rodney from Only Fools and Horses in it. Horrid.

Was not aware Daphne, Roz, and Niles were not going to be back. This is gonna bomb. Also Kelsey Grammer looks terrible.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
I guessed either he returned to Seattle or it would be set to where he moved to jn the final episode, Chicago. The fact that it's Boston makes me wonder if their are going to feature recurring Cheers characters.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I guessed either he returned to Seattle or it would be set to where he moved to jn the final episode, Chicago. The fact that it's Boston makes me wonder if their are going to feature recurring Cheers characters.
most have reportedly said no. (dalphne and miles from the fraser series have also said no)

What amuses me is that reportedly, only Grammer knew who Nicholas Lyndhurst was. For those who do not recognize the name. He starred in "Only fools and horses", "Goodnight Sweetheart" "New Tricks" and a long line of british tv series since the late 70's

Reactions: End on a Hinote

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
most have reportedly said no. (dalphne and miles from the fraser series have also said no)

What amuses me is that reportedly, only Grammer knew who Nicholas Lyndhurst was. For those who do not recognize the name. He starred in "Only fools and horses", "Goodnight Sweetheart" "New Tricks" and a long line of british tv series since the late 70's

I cannot emphasis how popular this show was in the UK. Think Seinfeld but more!

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I'm actually really glad they're not bringing back most of the old cast. That's the problem with all of these reboots: they attempt to rekindle that old feeling and inevitably fail. All the familiar faces look old and tired.

I think they have the right idea here. Rebuild the whole thing from scratch, from bottom-up. Less like a sequel, more like a spin-off. Make it a completely different Frasier.

After all, that's pretty much what happened with the first Frasier. Instead of making it like Cheers, Kelsey Grammer and his writers gave the show a new vibe and added characters who did not exist in the Cheers universe. It worked.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'm actually really glad they're not bringing back most of the old cast. That's the problem with all of these reboots: they attempt to rekindle that old feeling and inevitably fail. All the familiar faces look old and tired.

I think they have the right idea here. Rebuild the whole thing from scratch, from bottom-up. Less like a sequel, more like a spin-off. Make it a completely different Frasier.

After all, that's pretty much what happened with the first Frasier. Instead of making it like Cheers, Kelsey Grammer and his writers gave the show a new vibe and added characters who did not exist in the Cheers universe. It worked.
I agree. Ice for the occasional callback like when a couple of the cheers cast did a cameo but I think we hope that Nils and Daphne are settled in as parents and enjoying Seattle.

The actor who played Martin has passed, so I’d just hope they mention that in the new show.

Ros, I mean no offence and I think it also goes along with Frasier’s character that most are not interested in her and his love life at the character’s age given the 20 year time frame.

Hopefully if they do, that they keep in realistic since Grammer is 68 in real life and his character would be well into his 60’s on the show. Like close to his dad’s age in the original series.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Hopefully if they do, that they keep in realistic since Grammer is 68 in real life and his character would be well into his 60’s on the show. Like close to his dad’s age in the original series.
He's 4 years older now than John Mahoney was when the show ended lol.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
I'm always skeptical of revivals like this, especially those shows that are closely linked with a particular era. They tried it with The X-Files and it didn't work. They tried it with Murphy Brown and it didn't work. I think they are supposed to try it with Mad About You (which may or may not work) and now they are trying it with Frasier. I just don't see it.

I didn't even know Mad About You was popular enough for a reboot

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Was not aware Daphne, Roz, and Niles were not going to be back. This is gonna bomb. Also Kelsey Grammer looks terrible.
This show is set back in Boston. Last we saw of Frasier he was jetting off to Chicago after a woman.
Nils/Daphne, their life is in Seattle. Why would they move to Boston.
Ros, her daughter will have been all grown up. I doubt they want to do stories of her love life at 60.

Sounds like they will have Nils/Daphne's kid in the series. That will be like a 14/15 year age gap between Freddy and the young adult.

Sounds like season 1 is mostly about Frasier reconnecting with Freddy since he spent most of his life away from him when he was young.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I cannot emphasis how popular this show was in the UK. Think Seinfeld but more!
many people thought Lyndhurst had retired after the death of this son. But it sounds like his former co start David Jason spent a lot if time with him over the past few years to get him over his mourning
period and got him back to work

I like how they made the son a fireman and not a police officer like Marty

Reactions: I am not exposed

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Yeah so it's not really Frasier then, it's a Frasier spin-off.

I assume the reviews are going to be poor. I never re-watched the show but I love the melancholic feeling from 90s nostalgia so I feel like just re-watching the better episodes from the original run would be a better time investment than the new one if the reviews are as shit as I'm expecting them to be.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yeah so it's not really Frasier then, it's a Frasier spin-off.

I assume the reviews are going to be poor. I never re-watched the show but I love the melancholic feeling from 90s nostalgia so I feel like just re-watching the better episodes from the original run would be a better time investment than the new one if the reviews are as shit as I'm expecting them to be.
It's a spinoff. Frasier re-booted almost puts him into Martin's perspective as the dad who is retired reconnecting with his son after many years with limited contact.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I get the negative predictions for this reboot... spin-off... um.... comeback show, but most people had the same low expectations for the original Frasier. It looked like a cheap spin-off of Cheers, but ended up going in a totally different direction, with some of the best writing on TV outside of Seinfeld. Maybe I'm biased, but the old episodes still work beautifully.

The safe bet is they won't come close to the magic of the original Frasier, but Grammer is a terrific comedic lead and Lyndhurst could be a great foil.

The real challenge isn't whether the new show will be good, but whether people have time for a sitcom today with so many other things happening on so many screens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad