GDT: Frans returns to Brooklyn; 6 PM EST

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I went to the game tonight. Here's my thoughts.

Z still doesn't look good. He's slow and much weaker than he used to be. THAT being said he's using his smarts and IQ to get it done. It's blowing my mind how this guy keeps getting it done.

Tatar really, really sucks. Bench his ****ing ass. He misses on a breakaway 2 minutes in to set the tone against possibly the streakiest goalie in NHL history. And he didn't just miss by an inch. I'm done with him. He wasn't rushed by anybody either. The closest defender was at the blue line.

Ericsson was probably our best D-man. I know he's sheltered against weaker opponents but seriously, if we could add another d-man and have him as our "sheltered" guy, he'd be one of the best if not the best 3rd pairing guys out there right now.

Barclays didn't even play the replay of the goal as it was being challenged. My mind was blown. My buddy with me was an Isles fan and he had no idea what was going on. From up top that was as innocent as they come. I'd LOVE to see a replay.

Jurco missed a big fat stinking goal in the third again. Idk what it looked like on TV but my god in person that looked like an open net. GTFO. FINISH THAT.

I still hate DDK. I don't get why he is on the ice for overtime.

Ott still do you. I don't care if he gets beat up. Taking a good run at JT was the **** and vinegar this team needed. We need more **** and vinegar. Ott shouldn't have gotten a penalty on the play. Miller should have. That shoulda been even strength 4 v 4.

LAST but not least. Blashill really pisses me off. Last night his excuse for the third period was "oh simplify things" and "oh we need to just get the puck out more." No, you idiot. THIS IS ON YOU. You love shell hockey. You love a ONE MAN forecheck. You love just flipping it out, to have it dumped back in our zone 5 seconds later. Stop saying the player are "overdoing it." They aren't doing ****. It is 1111110000000% on YOU playing shell hockey.

:handclap: Thanks for your impressions from the game!

A couple comments- about Zetter I've tried to say the cruelest things possible this season but the man is a warlord. It is a wonder what he makes happen on the ice I've got to accept Z as the most talented player on the Wings.

DeKeyser- after reading in his thread got me paying closer attention the last few games. He's another enigma- at times he's chasing like a winded, uncoordinated teenager. Then he can be very professional. He is growing immensely stronger this season, he has to.

Wild, Green is our #1 and Danny D #2. We are blessed Illich got Green (after 3 years(?) of rumors) and what luck for DeKeyser to be under his wing. I'm very much liking these two right now. They aren't perfect. On ice for 2 goals against, they were spent. After a good days rest I believe they'll be stronger.

Sunday games are weird. What the hell, Sundays themselves are weird. I'm really glad I caught this one and reading comments. This was more entertaining than 60 minutes. :laugh:

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Is anyone else pissed that Blash didn't challenge their last goal? It was borderline but what did he have to lose? When he started he was challenging goals left and right but it seems like now he just doesn't give a **** and wants to get home faster. ..

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Is anyone else pissed that Blash didn't challenge their last goal? It was borderline but what did he have to lose? When he started he was challenging goals left and right but it seems like now he just doesn't give a **** and wants to get home faster. ..

In the grand scheme of things, I would have thought they he would have challenged it. Looking back, he did conserve his time-out, which was needed at the end of the game - there was an icing charged on the Wings and with 56 secs (I think), he took a much needed time-out. It probably saved the game, the Isles were really pounding it on at that point.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Tatar was great tonight. He had several great set-ups and probably even more solid defensive plays. He was smarter and steadier with the puck than he usually is. I thought it was one of his best games in the past 1.5 seasons. He was much, much calmer with the puck and seemed to have abandoned his "do-it-all-on-my-own" attitude. You can harp on a missed opportunity, but all players have those, and it seems to have given you a badly biased viewing of him as a result.

Agree with this. Tatar was good. He has had worse games but tonight he was nothing but solid. Better oveeall game. He has a lot of worse in the past where he scored a goal but didn't help the team in any other way.

BTW, NHLrs usually finish 33% of their beakaways, so missing one is just one missed. But if you miss 3/3, then there's some reason to blame.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
That goalie interference call was absolute *********!! Robbed Green of a hatrick. Glendening never touched him. Even Halak didn't complain to the refs. Is it because it's the Homer rule and we're the Red Wings?

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
That goalie interference call was absolute *********!! Robbed Green of a hatrick. Glendening never touched him. Even Halak didn't complain to the refs. Is it because it's the Homer rule and we're the Red Wings?

I had the same reaction, Halak chose to push Glendening instead of going for the puck (which he did not see coming). Kind of a weird call.

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
Mantha looks so comfortable out there. Doing all the little things right consistently while being the teams go-to offensive line. This is exactly what you'd like to see out of Mantha. He's a clear cut quality top six winger already at his age. Very impressed

Larkin on the other hand is skating around like his heads cut off. His game is based on his speed and not much else. No control, bad passes, making bad decisions but he's still working hard. It's frustrating watching him sometimes

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
The team has found some sort of level. It's not a very good level, but still, it'll keep them around in the wild card race. The goalscoring from our forwards really is a joke. Do we get a 25 goal scorer this season?

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

Meh, to me Glendening was deep in the blue paint and completely by his own doing. Touched or not Halak has a right to that space.

Frustrating call but I can understand why it was called back.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Pretty harsh to call it back. Quite the joke to consider this being interference. Glenny should have stayed out of the crease & it would have counted though.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I love Marthas game. He is our best forchecker.
Good WIN , btb games.
Green had the hat trick . That was not a goalie interference. Glendening was pushed in, then Halak pushed/hit glendening. The right decision was to call the goal off but give halak 2 min for roughing.
Z and Frans have been hot lately. Now if we could get back AA and Tatar and Nyquist going, we could get some wins.
Why was lashoff in and what happened to Sproul?

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I'm guessing Lashoff was in just to get a look, much like I'd imagine Nosek will be getting in for a look too- probably tomorrow.

I think the Glendening call was unfortunate but correctly called by the rule. Glendening was in the crease in a space that could arguably have prevented Halak from getting over to make the save. But Halak played Glendening instead of the puck and Luke was also getting some business from a defender. Weak call in the end and Mrazek was interfered on the game tying goal, not so sure that would've stood if challenged.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Mantha looks so comfortable out there. Doing all the little things right consistently while being the teams go-to offensive line. This is exactly what you'd like to see out of Mantha. He's a clear cut quality top six winger already at his age. Very impressed

Larkin on the other hand is skating around like his heads cut off. His game is based on his speed and not much else. No control, bad passes, making bad decisions but he's still working hard. It's frustrating watching him sometimes
Mantha could have had so many more points by now. He's averaged nearly 3 shots per game, only Larkin is close to that mark, and he's been setting up so many nice plays. His ability to break up plays and win pucks was evident on the Z goal, but he's doing it every shift. Really impressive.

I don't think Larkin has been bad lately actually. For some reason he played on the 4th line last night which didn't help, but in the recent 5-10 games he has started playing a lot more like we want him to. He leads the team in goals and SOG which is a good sign considering he's been far from at his best this year.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
The team has found some sort of level. It's not a very good level, but still, it'll keep them around in the wild card race

It feels like the inverse of the usual DRW hockey - we're beating the bad teams and losing to the good teams. Which ensures the worst possible outcome *sigh*

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Mantha is just a stark contrast to most of the team by not falling over as soon as a defenseman touches him.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Lol you guys are funny, Sproul loses the game against Florida in OT then is a minus 3 IN THE THIRD PERIOD of the Pitt game and somehow it's ****ing insane that Blash gives Lashoff a look.

Relax, Sproul will be given plenty of time. You guys act like he's been infallible because of what he brings offensively. I wouldn't have personally given Lashoff a look over Sproul - but you had to expect him to get in there at some point.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
I love Marthas game. He is our best forchecker.
Good WIN , btb games.
Green had the hat trick . That was not a goalie interference. Glendening was pushed in, then Halak pushed/hit glendening. The right decision was to call the goal off but give halak 2 min for roughing.
Z and Frans have been hot lately. Now if we could get back AA and Tatar and Nyquist going, we could get some wins.
Why was lashoff in and what happened to Sproul?

I was saying last night he never loses a puck battle on the boards either. He uses his reach and size very well

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Lol you guys are funny, Sproul loses the game against Florida in OT then is a minus 3 IN THE THIRD PERIOD of the Pitt game and somehow it's ****ing insane that Blash gives Lashoff a look.

Relax, Sproul will be given plenty of time. You guys act like he's been infallible because of what he brings offensively. I wouldn't have personally given Lashoff a look over Sproul - but you had to expect him to get in there at some point.
I wouldn't have reacted at all if it was Russo/Ouellet or even Jensen getting a look... but Lashoff? The guy has had his chance in the NHL. Scratching Sproul for someone like that is a typical Blashill move. Sproul was -3? Yeah but how many goals were his fault? Coreau let some soft ones in and most skaters were bad in the 3rd.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I wouldn't have reacted at all if it was Russo/Ouellet or even Jensen getting a look... but Lashoff? The guy has had his chance in the NHL. Scratching Sproul for someone like that is a typical Blashill move. Sproul was -3? Yeah but how many goals were his fault? Coreau let some soft ones in and most skaters were bad in the 3rd.

Out of position on all 3 goals. Completely lost on 2 of them

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

I tracked Pittsburgh's ES Quality scoring chances against and team-high -7 was against Kronwall and Sproul.

Coreau didn't let some softies in...

1st goal, 2 on 1 attack, perfect pass from Malkin to Kessel
2nd one, he was screened
3rd goal, he was double screened, both for the slap-pass and for the one-timer
4th one, back-post one-timer on empty-net
5th empty netter

Which one was the softy?

Pittsburgh had 19 Quality scoring chances (team-high I've tracked against us at this season), and usually 1/4 of them goes in. So letting 4 goals per 19 chances was kind of "in-line game" for the goaltender. He wasn't bad but wasn't good either. Stanley Cup winners did just play like winners play. Outplaying the opponent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad