GDT: Frans returns to Brooklyn; 6 PM EST

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Out of position on all 3 goals. Completely lost on 2 of them

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Yeah. Watching and chasing the puck too much.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I tracked Pittsburgh's ES Quality scoring chances against and team-high -7 was against Kronwall and Sproul.

Coreau didn't let some softies in...

1st goal, 2 on 1 attack, perfect pass from Malkin to Kessel
2nd one, he was screened
3rd goal, he was double screened, both for the slap-pass and for the one-timer
4th one, back-post one-timer on empty-net
5th empty netter

Which one was the softy?

Pittsburgh had 19 Quality scoring chances (team-high I've tracked against us at this season), and usually 1/4 of them goes in. So letting 4 goals per 19 chances was kind of "in-line game" for the goaltender. He wasn't bad but wasn't good either. Stanley Cup winners did just play like winners play. Outplaying the opponent.

None was soft. He could be a bit deep in the net, but allowing 4 goals to pens is not terrible though.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
So when you're screened there's no obligation to stop the puck? That Schultz goal was soft as hell. Bonino's wrister shouldn't be going in from that far out either.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I tracked Pittsburgh's ES Quality scoring chances against and team-high -7 was against Kronwall and Sproul.

Coreau didn't let some softies in...

1st goal, 2 on 1 attack, perfect pass from Malkin to Kessel
2nd one, he was screened
3rd goal, he was double screened, both for the slap-pass and for the one-timer
4th one, back-post one-timer on empty-net
5th empty netter

Which one was the softy?

Pittsburgh had 19 Quality scoring chances (team-high I've tracked against us at this season), and usually 1/4 of them goes in. So letting 4 goals per 19 chances was kind of "in-line game" for the goaltender. He wasn't bad but wasn't good either. Stanley Cup winners did just play like winners play. Outplaying the opponent.
2nd and 3rd were pretty soft. He was hardly screened that bad. 2nd goal basically goes in straight through him, and the 3rd he's just slow.

Not saying Sproul had a great game but other than maybe the cross-crease pass he wasn't really doing much wrong on those goals. And even that is more on Jurco completely losing his man. You could use those gifs to make an argument against pretty much any Red Wing on the ice. Larkin is floating in no-man's land instead of pressuring the d-man in the 1st gif. Entire team collapses way too low on the 2nd. And what is Kronner, Glendening and Jurco doing on the 3rd?

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I'd say the first gif was his worst play chased hard and at one point you can tell by his reaction that he's lost, should've been saved for sure though. The second he cheated and left that lane wide open with 2 pens right there so even if it was saved there was an ample second chance opportunity on a rebound.

The third gif his defensive partner was DDK, not Kronwall.

Like I said, I was not in favor of the benching but when I heard it at the time I wasn't surprised.

I wanted to get the other angles for the gifs but I was at work and just used the highlight video for all of them.

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
Lol you guys are funny, Sproul loses the game against Florida in OT then is a minus 3 IN THE THIRD PERIOD of the Pitt game and somehow it's ****ing insane that Blash gives Lashoff a look.

Relax, Sproul will be given plenty of time. You guys act like he's been infallible because of what he brings offensively. I wouldn't have personally given Lashoff a look over Sproul but you had to expect him to get in there at some point.

I tend to disagree a bit on Sproul/d. So far he has shown me nothing but some serious mistakes defensively. Any offense is more than offset by inadequate d. I would rather see some d at this stage from Lashoff than a -7 in 14 games from him. I know somebody is going to bring up the first period goal . In the rest of the game,Lash's rotation, position, outlet passing and decision making was much better than I ordinarily see from our -7 offensive defenseman's average game. Lashoff makes better decisions with the puck in his own end imo. Somebody has to play d at this stage.

Last edited:

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I tend to disagree a bit on Sproul/d. So far he has shown me nothing but AHL level mistakes defensively. Any offense is more than offset by bad d. I would rather see some d at this stage from Lashoff than a -7 in 14 games Sproul. I know somebody is going to bring up the first goal . In the rest of the game,Lash's rotation, position, outlet passing and decision making was much better than I ordinarily see from our -7 offensive defenseman's average game. Lashoff makes better decisions with the puck in his own end imo. Somebody has to play d at this stage.

Sproul has to learn. Sitting him for a game or 2 is not the end of the world.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Sproul has to learn. Sitting him for a game or 2 is not the end of the world.

Yep, I think it was good move to put him on te pressbox and give orders to watch how Lashoff plays real defence. Lashoff and Kronwall had least ES Quality Scoring chances against in the Islanders-game.

DeKeyser -6
Green -6
Ouellet -4
Ericsson -3
Lashoff -2
Kronwall -2

I have collected my own scoring chance data the whole season and Sproul has had 2 Quality Scoring chances by himself and Created 4 for a teammate in 14 games. He has mostly been thriwing on the Power-Play. If he takes 7 scoring chances against in a single hockey game, I think it's pretty bad ratio.

Sproul has the handness, nice size, nice shot, everything nice tools, but he also will need brains. Learn learn learn.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad