Confirmed with Link: Frank Vatrano to NYR for a 4th round pick

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Good post from the Trade Forum on him from a Panthers fan. Copied and pasted below...

"Depending on how you count it, Vatrano was the fifth longest tenured Panther. Huberdeau, Barkov, Ekblad, and Weegar came before him, and Tippett/Mamin both debuted as Panthers in Fall 2017 (Vatrano was acquired around the 2017-18 deadline), both of those guys went back to their development teams for several years before coming back. Vatrano has been part of the roster for a full four years.

I'll give my NY bros a scouting report:

Pros
  • Great straight-line speed
  • Gives 110% like 90% of the time
  • Physical along the boards
  • Absolute rifle of a snap shot and slap shot
  • Has a long stick and poke-checks the point-man well
  • Is effective on both the LW/RW
  • Is an overtime beast (at least in 3v3)
  • Teammates adored him
Cons
  • Some of the worst tunnel vision I've ever seen
  • Can't complete a pass
  • Makes his linemates worse
  • If he isn't scoring, he's doing absolutely nothing
  • Can be careless and is prone to stick penalties
The Skinny
  • Frank is the quintessential north-south player. He's fast, he's physical, and he can snipe with the best of them. When he's on a hot streak, you can plug him in as the third wheel in any of the eight wing spots. When he's not hot, he's still a useful fourth liner with significant finishing capabilities and is a good option for the PP2 and 3v3 OT. Unfortunately, his inability to compliment his linemates and his proclivity for penalties means that this guy who can produce like a middle 6er really belongs on the fourth line with the energy players."
So he’s Gauthier but can actually finish?!

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
This guy single handedly won the game for Florida on Tuesday vs Sharks. Scored the game tying goal late in the 3rd, then wins it in OT with his 2nd goal of the night. How great is that? Coming to us hours after this performance. This guy is a 20 goal scorer playing a full season. Great depth pick up for practically nothing. I bet you he scores tonight in his first game.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Was he injured? If not 11 scratches in 60 games is quite a bit, more than Reaves
Don't forget the Panthers have a very strong team with good depth. He was probably the Gauthier of that team.

Over here, he'll be a regular in the line up.

I love this pick up. A fast north, south guy, who can shoot with the best of them. Check out his two goals last game. Both one-time rockets.

In one AHL season he had 36 goals in 36 games.

Last edited:

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Good post from the Trade Forum on him from a Panthers fan. Copied and pasted below...

"Depending on how you count it, Vatrano was the fifth longest tenured Panther. Huberdeau, Barkov, Ekblad, and Weegar came before him, and Tippett/Mamin both debuted as Panthers in Fall 2017 (Vatrano was acquired around the 2017-18 deadline), both of those guys went back to their development teams for several years before coming back. Vatrano has been part of the roster for a full four years.

I'll give my NY bros a scouting report:

Pros
  • Great straight-line speed
  • Gives 110% like 90% of the time
  • Physical along the boards
  • Absolute rifle of a snap shot and slap shot
  • Has a long stick and poke-checks the point-man well
  • Is effective on both the LW/RW
  • Is an overtime beast (at least in 3v3)
  • Teammates adored him
Cons
  • Some of the worst tunnel vision I've ever seen
  • Can't complete a pass
  • Makes his linemates worse
  • If he isn't scoring, he's doing absolutely nothing
  • Can be careless and is prone to stick penalties
The Skinny
  • Frank is the quintessential north-south player. He's fast, he's physical, and he can snipe with the best of them. When he's on a hot streak, you can plug him in as the third wheel in any of the eight wing spots. When he's not hot, he's still a useful fourth liner with significant finishing capabilities and is a good option for the PP2 and 3v3 OT. Unfortunately, his inability to compliment his linemates and his proclivity for penalties means that this guy who can produce like a middle 6er really belongs on the fourth line with the energy players."
He fits Gallant's/NYR system better than Florida's current system IMO

Florida might need some gamesense/vision/IQ. We can have cavemen play our hockey

I'm hoping he takes off with Panarin. Get puck. Get Open. Shoot.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
He is a center on the Rangers roster. Do the Rangers project him as a center and move Chytil to wing where he belongs??

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Is this the first time ever on this forum that everyone agrees this was a good trade?!
I think when we moved Nash it was pretty universally seen as a home run. The Gomez trade was possibly the most lauded deal in decades. But yeah usually there's some loud, strong dissent with every deal. Hard to find anything wrong with this one.

Reactions: Fireonk

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Nice player. Looks to be a good fit in the lockerroom and on the ice. If this continues I wonder if he comes back next season. Gallant saying this is a “good opportunity” for Vatrano could be read as ‘here’s a chance to show other teams what you can do before UFA’. Which is fine, a win-win situation. But just wondering if others see it the same.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I hope Vatrano can share some tips from the panthers on how to play fast and as a five man unit.

9darter

Kreider is underpaid
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2007
Göteborg
I think when we moved Nash it was pretty universally seen as a home run. The Gomez trade was possibly the most lauded deal in decades. But yeah usually there's some loud, strong dissent with every deal. Hard to find anything wrong with this one.
In hindsight, yes.
As always, there were some loud, strong dissenters at the time absolutely hating on Chris Higgins and Ryan Spooner who were the apparent centerpieces in the return for Gomez and Nash respectively. Not everyone could see the value in college prospects like McDonagh and Lindgren.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
He looked good last night. I thought his north-south skaitng fit pretty well with the Bread line.

He likes to sit up in the high slot looking for shots and that will work with the other two who are usually on the walls or behind the net on the permiter.

He also made a couple blocks and threw the body which was good to see. I dont think he will help out too much defensively in-zone, but theres a lot of compete in his game and the Rangers could use another strong backchecker, especially on that line.

I'd leave him there for a few games and see how he does. Cant be nearly as bad as Hunt or Goodrow there. Frank can shoot it.

Reactions: Riche16

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I liked what I saw... came as advertised... good straight-line speed... likes to shoot... was physical when needed and when he laughed at Mayfield for taking a dumb penalty it seemed like he fit right into the NYR v Isles rivalry. Seemed to do well w Strome / Bread

I hope he forces Drury to keep him after this season.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I liked what I saw... came as advertised... good straight-line speed... likes to shoot... was physical when needed and when he laughed at Mayfield for taking a dumb penalty it seemed like he fit right into the NYR v Isles rivalry. Seemed to do well w Strome / Bread

I hope he forces Drury to keep him after this season.
I hope he gets resigned depending how he does in the playoffs and the last regular season games here

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad