Speculation: Frank Servalli says Laine/Ehlers could be trade bait for Winnipeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corky

Mar 21, 2008
Singapore
It's funny how Montreal fans think they have any pieces at all that would return Laine.
Habs definitely have the piece, just read the thread.

Domi + Caufield gets it done
Domi + Romanov gets it done

Both offers are fair but i think WPG prefers the Romanov one as it addresses two of their needs (2C and D).

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
Why? The Habs won more playoff games than Winnipeg, they must have some talent.
You really think 25th place in league play gets you in the playoffs? That's cute. That's like inviting the slow kid with the limp to play street hockey with you and you let him score a goal to see if he shits his pants and brags to his mother....

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Is 70 pts and 40 goals in trade value as a player undervaluing him? His career averages over 4 seasons so far is 37 goals and 66 pts? This playing on a stacked top 6 with the Jets?

The point I've been making all along is he is a very good talent with the shot he has but he does come with flaws and is not a complete forward. He's not Ovechkin. Ovi had 52 goals and 106 pts in his first season with the Caps and the next best on that team was Zubrus with 57 pts. :laugh:.

So yeah, I don't believe setting Laine's trade value at 70 pts and 40 goals is undervaluing him.
Now try to think of all the players that produce like that between the ages of 18 and 21.

Reactions: Nedarb and Snowman

Whileee

May 29, 2010
From a Jets perspective, I have very little interest in Domi. He couldn't cut it as a top 2C with the Habs, seems disgruntled, and is in a contract situation to either demand an overpay or play it out to UFA in 2 years via arbitration.

Caufield might be okay, but he's a tiny scoring winger that scored at the same level in college as Laine did in the NHL as an 18 year old.

16th overall pick... that's worth less than Kapanen.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Are Jets fans over here keeping Ehlers before Laine? Really?

From a Neutral perspective if I had to pick 2 players to keep it would be Connor and Ehlers. They are both young and locked in where as Wheeler is older and Liane has contract risks.

For clairity sake that I am sure will go well, I would have traded Marner as well when he had his contract demands. Its just almost impossible to have a winger be worth that level of money

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Jets are foolish. Fire Maurice and let Laine be the star of Winnipeg. He has done everything they’ve asked him to do and at some point Winnipeg has to look at the amount of young talent that has wanted out of the years and realize why.

It is going to be Selanne 2.0.
Do you ever know what you are talking about?

Reactions: jgimp and Snowman

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
From a Neutral perspective if I had to pick 2 players to keep it would be Connor and Ehlers. They are both young and locked in where as Wheeler is older and Liane has contract risks.

For clairity sake that I am sure will go well, I would have traded Marner as well when he had his contract demands. Its just almost impossible to have a winger be worth that level of money

But, Marner is worth that money and every comparable player to him is making like within a million of him besides Pasta..?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Do you ever know what you are talking about?

Yes. Do Jets fans really not realize how unique of a player Laine is because they have Connor?

Laine has the 7th most goals at his age in NHL history. Why would you trade that? And if you’re reason is because Ehlers or Wheeler, you’re just straight up wrong.

Laine very easily could put up 90-100 pts next year. NHL curving shows that the next couple years will be his prime.

Last edited:

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
About time they realize Kyle Conner is the best of the three
Which timeline did you just teleport from? The way I see it...

Connor: Exceptional NCAA numbers, nifty hands in tight, tucks a lot of goals in. Virtually stapled to Scheifele and Wheeler on the top line, doesn’t drive line with his play, and is often overrun defensively. Finishes on tons of plays set up by 55 and 26. Clearly has good chemistry with his line mates who happen to drive the bus in Winnipeg’s locker room.

Ehlers: Criminally underrated and underutilized. Zone entry wizard, exceptionally fast. Starting to gain favour with Paul Maurice by driving his line, looked to be the best Jet many nights this season and especially in the play-in round. Still never given PP1 time, despite deserving it. Oldest of the three.

Laine: Historic goalscorer given his age. When asked to change play style to be more holistic, did everything in his power to backcheck harder, focus on all 3 zones, throw big body around more often. Still relegated to 2nd line despite doing exactly as asked, and oftentimes taking control of games when opportunity presents itself to play 1st line minutes. Yes, he can be streaky when it comes to scoring, but his overall play this year was quite consistent. Will undoubtedly cost the team the most out of the three when his next contract is due.

I think TNSE is showing their hand far too much here by feeding Seravalli 29 and 27 are on the market. I’d be pissed to be other players on the team knowing that you’re safe so long as 55 and 26 say so. Not a good message to send when your other top wingers have done what was asked of them while the safe one is guaranteed 1st line minutes. Long term success needs to be considered - Wheeler won’t be here forever.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
But, Marner is worth that money and every comparable player to him is making like within a million of him besides Pasta..?

I think there are many methods that you could use to justify 'worth', and if you were so inclined you could certainly find one that would at least be compelling. So with that said, what are your criteria?

Personally I look at the cap structure of teams that have won the Cup in the current era and when looking for more sample size, the teams that made it to the finals. I would take a look at which players took up the largest % of the cap and if that player accounted for that % in the teams overall success. Then I would go past that and look at trends. For example a trend this year is that there is no a single team that made it to the 2nd round that had a player who was paid more than 10m AAV.

So with that clarity out of the way, what are your criteria for 'worth' ?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Which timeline did you just teleport from? The way I see it...

Connor: Exceptional NCAA numbers, nifty hands in tight, tucks a lot of goals in. Virtually stapled to Scheifele and Wheeler on the top line, doesn’t drive line with his play, and is often overrun defensively. Finishes on tons of plays set up by 55 and 26. Clearly has good chemistry with his line mates who happen to drive the bus in Winnipeg’s locker room.

Ehlers: Criminally underrated and underutilized. Zone entry wizard, exceptionally fast. Starting to gain favour with Paul Maurice by driving his line, looked to be the best Jet many nights this season and especially in the play-in round. Still never given PP1 time, despite deserving it. Oldest of the three.

Laine: Historic goalscorer given his age. When asked to change play style to be more holistic, did everything in his power to backcheck harder, focus on all 3 zones, throw big body around more often. Still relegated to 2nd line despite doing exactly as asked, and oftentimes taking control of games when opportunity presents itself to play 1st line minutes. Yes, he can be streaky when it comes to scoring, but his overall play this year was quite consistent. Will undoubtedly cost the team the most out of the three when his next contract is due.

I think TNSE is showing their hand far too much here by feeding Seravalli 29 and 27 are on the market. I’d be pissed to be other players on the team knowing that you’re safe so long as 55 and 26 say so. Not a good message to send when your other top wingers have done what was asked of them while the safe one is guaranteed 1st line minutes. Long term success needs to be considered - Wheeler won’t be here forever.
Seravalli made this rumour up out of thin air. He didn't even claim to have any sources. He simply said that if you look at the Jets roster it would make sense for them to move a winger like Ehlers or Laine for a D or a C. That's it. The Jets are one of the least leaky teams in the NHL, and certainly wouldn't leak their intentions on trading core players.

Just rumor-mongering by Seravalli.

Reactions: Huffer

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I did. It's a point to make some understand Laine does not have Ovechkin value. Why? Cause I feel they are asking for Ovechkin trade value. I actually think you are falling in that trap too.

Am am being crazy saying Laine has 70 pts and 40 goal trade value? If you disagree, what trade value do you have it at? pt/game and 50 goals?
I love how you are proud of your straw man.

Reactions: SI and Snowman

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Here's the problem with the Montreal proposals - even if you add up the pieces and the value is equal to Laine, the jets don't do the deal.

Would copp pionk and a 2nd get domi?

Value wise that's a middle six forward, a 2nd pair dman and a relatively high pick, in exchange for an inconsistent player 2 years away from UFA.

As a jets fan, I'd never insult habs fans with an offer like that, let alone spend a week trying to defend why the value adds up.

Laine is an A asset. We want an A asset back for him.

Reactions: Pongs21

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I think there are many methods that you could use to justify 'worth', and if you were so inclined you could certainly find one that would at least be compelling. So with that said, what are your criteria?

Personally I look at the cap structure of teams that have won the Cup in the current era and when looking for more sample size, the teams that made it to the finals. I would take a look at which players took up the largest % of the cap and if that player accounted for that % in the teams overall success. Then I would go past that and look at trends. For example a trend this year is that there is no a single team that made it to the 2nd round that had a player who was paid more than 10m AAV.

So with that clarity out of the way, what are your criteria for 'worth' ?

People made these same arguments about the Penguins before they did something no one else has done in the modern cap era.

No team ever fails when paying young elite players large cap percentages. The teams that struggle are ones that overpay cup winners in roles they regress from.

Rico Suave

Jan 30, 2019
Neither team is making this trade.
Winnipeg will want a young # 2 center .
Domi centered our 2nd line last season and hit 72points,nobody can really say if it will happen again but Max has talent hes just more of a playmaker so would need a shooter on hes line

Caufield is obviously our best prospect along with Romanov,Cole his a pure goalscorer/sniper only knock on him his hes size but Debrincat proved the little guys can hit 30/40goals so we can only hope for the best

Mete is still very young and very mobile hes skating is obviously hes best assest,descent defensively but can still work on hes offense

+ 16th overall

Its a good offer for the jets

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Name a 1st overall pick that has scored as many goals has Laine has before his 22nd birthday. I will wait.

Doesn't matter. The first overall pick is 18, has 3 years of ELC, and doesn't need to a big fat contract next year. And thats without considering that he's a good bet to be just as good or even better than Laine eventually.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
People made these same arguments about the Penguins before they did something no one else has done in the modern cap era.

Ignoring the questions and using a bs statement like "people say" is pretty weak sauce.

I'm always down to have interesting conversations on here but ain't no body has time for anyone with nothing to add but "do you even watch the games" and "people say" posts. Live your best life and do what makes ya happy, but if you wanna continue this conversation you're gunna need to be a hell of a lot better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad