Speculation: Frank Servalli says Laine/Ehlers could be trade bait for Winnipeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Nobody brought up ovy....

I did. It's a point to make some understand Laine does not have Ovechkin value. Why? Cause I feel they are asking for Ovechkin trade value. I actually think you are falling in that trap too.

Am am being crazy saying Laine has 70 pts and 40 goal trade value? If you disagree, what trade value do you have it at? pt/game and 50 goals?

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Laine's 109 assist sticks out like a score thumb. All the other guys on that list are more complete hockey players. Laine lives on his shot and that is reality. His goal scoring talent is insane but after that, there is nothing to brag about in his game. My point? He has very good trade value but all the guys on that list are better all around players.

I don't feel like I am off like some Jets fans think I am when I say he has 70 pts and 40 goal trade potential.

So what is the trade value of a 40+ goal and 70+ point player at 22 then? If Laine was 26 and a soon to be UFA he'd still be worth a 1st and a very good prospect at least. Hell, Trouba returned a 1st and a second pair D man, and he was only going to 1 city.

So at 22 with years more control, you need to add a tonne more.

Reactions: Nedarb

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
I think we - fans of canadian teams - should be more humble indeed. None of our teams has won a SC in close to thirty years.
While this is true MTL had a bad year, it was only 3 points in 18/19 below WPG the year before in the regular season. WPG despite their talent upfront did not manage to beat the Flames who did not perform well against Dallas.

Trying to be fair, Danault would of course be 2C on the Jets if traded there. He has not the offensive upside of Ehlers that is for sure though. I agree about your point regarding the contract but age is irrelevant here, we should stop thinking that qvalue decreases so quickly. Giving too much money to young players is not working (TOR WPG EDM), they have potential they score points but I prefer having O Reilly with 70 points and a SC rather than Marner scoring 100 points at 23.
Danault might be a 2C here, but he is far from a perfect fit. Danault is a less offensively talented Bryan Little. Little has averaged 51 points a season and most Jet fans think he is a terrible fit at 2C because he isn't a big scorer. Danault playing 1C minutes in Montreal has averaged 42 points a season, so after the "shiny new toy" effect wears off, I think Jet fans will be pretty disappointed.

So, Danault just like Domi, isn't high end enough to move any of our top five for.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
Well if this was true, Domi's age 20-22 seasons don't matter as much either then. And his low point being bounced all over the line-up was a prorated 51 pts and 20 goals. And some have the nerve to say that 72 pts season and 28 goals was a fluke? A fluke? Only 15% of his production came on the PP and he played with Shaw full time and sometimes Drouin. And people say this don't matter? His age 23 season? Come on man.

Even with Laine rebounding this year... it prorates to 76 pts and 34 goals. Don't think I'm far off with 70 pts and 40 goals am I? I think Laine at 22 is very close to who he is. Don't think he becomes a better skater and playing physical don't appear to be his style. He has good size and hard to push around but his value is his shot.

Both suck in their own end and have to be sheltered. Realty. Laine > Domi. Not saying they are equals. But if you can try to double down on Domi's low point this past year as his flaw, you can certainly do that with Laine last year too.

Laine is not a complete forward.

Here's Domi:

upload_2020-8-31_15-59-15.png

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
So what is the trade value of a 40+ goal and 70+ point player at 22 then? If Laine was 26 and a soon to be UFA he'd still be worth a 1st and a very good prospect at least. Hell, Trouba returned a 1st and a second pair D man, and he was only going to 1 city.

So at 22 with years more control, you need to add a tonne more.

It's his curve and talent he plays with which indicates to me he is not on a steep rise up. I know you know what I am saying but you won't admit it cause you want the max trade return for Laine but you also would not sign him for $9M or $10M either. Somethings up bud and it's about his talent beyond his shot. It's no secrete. He don't suck as a hockey player but he's not a complete forward and we all understand why the Jets are concerned about paying him a max deal.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Danault might be a 2C here, but he is far from a perfect fit. Danault is a less offensively talented Bryan Little. Little has averaged 51 points a season and most Jet fans think he is a terrible fit at 2C because he isn't a big scorer. Danault playing 1C minutes in Montreal has averaged 42 points a season, so after the "shiny new toy" effect wears off, I think Jet fans will be pretty disappointed.

So, Danault just like Domi, isn't high end enough to move any of our top five for.

I am also not sure he would be worth moving one of the top 5 but in my opinion WPG could use this type of player to be effective at shutdown (and depth and defense). I was just commenting on Danault being garbage. :)

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
I did. It's a point to make some understand Laine does not have Ovechkin value. Why? Cause I feel they are asking for Ovechkin trade value. I actually think you are falling in that trap too.

Am am being crazy saying Laine has 70 pts and 40 goal trade value? If you disagree, what trade value do you have it at? pt/game and 50 goals?
Hes a growth asset not a stagnated one. Value him base on potential

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Well if this was true, Domi's age 20-22 seasons don't matter as much either then. And his low point being bounced all over the line-up was a prorated 51 pts and 20 goals. And some have the nerve to say that 72 pts season and 28 goals was a fluke? A fluke? Only 15% of his production came on the PP and he played with Shaw full time and sometimes Drouin. And people say this don't matter? His age 23 season? Come on man.

Even with Laine rebounding this year... it prorates to 76 pts and 34 goals. Don't think I'm far off with 70 pts and 40 goals am I? I think Laine at 22 is very close to who he is. Don't think he becomes a better skater and playing physical don't appear to be his style. He has good size and hard to push around but his value is his shot.

Both suck in their own end and have to be sheltered. Realty. Laine > Domi. Not saying they are equals. But if you can try to double down on Domi's low point this past year as his flaw, you can certainly do that with Laine last year too.

Laine is not a complete forward.

With Laine we are talking of 1 down season and 3 elite seasons for u23 player, Domi doesn't fit that bill at all. Laine kept breaking records for the 1st few seasons entering the league.
Laine was 21y this past season, which is incredible young and a still developing player, especially with his size.

They've worked on Laines skating for years in Turku and it should improve atleast some, they made mistakes which I hate but they are doing work for it constantly.

21y(22y right now) 70+ point player with one of the best shots in the league is incredible valuable on the market.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
It's his curve and talent he plays with which indicates to me he is not on a steep rise up. I know you know what I am saying but you won't admit it cause you want the max trade return for Laine but you also would not sign him for $9M or $10M either. Somethings up bud and it's about his talent beyond his shot. It's no secrete. He don't suck as a hockey player but he's not a complete forward and we all understand why the Jets are concerned about paying him a max deal.

I'd sign him for something around Rantanen for sure. If he's looking for stupid Marner money that's something different possibly, but there is nothing out there at all on his next contract yet.

If the Jets are thinking about moving him, or Ehlers (which I hope they don't), it's a hockey trade to improve the team and redistribute the cap to other positions. Not because they don't think he's worth it, or he's on dimensional, etc.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Yeah and what top 6 talent has Domi played with in his career so far? Night and day difference vs Laine. Since coming to the Habs, Domi has the same pt/game stats as Laine and Laine has a 8 goal per season advantage. Not saying they have the same value but Domi playing with better talent with the Habs is an indicator that he has more to give. This past season was a rough one for him and Julien bounced him all over the line-up cause our coach wanted to send a message about defensive assignments. Something Laine went through last season.

Laine > Domi. However, if the Habs add Caufield on top? I think the Jets can win this trade and I do feel Domi gets back to 60-70 pts and 25+ goals with the Jets and a more stable spot. It's just my opinion and not trying to force Domi on the Jets. More talking about Value.

If Domi puts up 70 pts and 25 goals and Caufield turns into a 30+ goal guy and 60 pts. Jets win this trade unless Laine has 100 pts and 50 goals with the Habs and I doubt that. There are risk to both sides and my point is only this.... both Domi and Laine have defensive zone flaws.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
With Laine we are talking of 1 down season and 3 elite seasons for u23 player, Domi doesn't fit that bill at all. Laine kept breaking records for the 1st few seasons entering the league.
Laine was 21y this past season, which is incredible young and a still developing player, especially with his size.

They've worked on Laines skating for years in Turku and it should improve atleast some, they made mistakes which I hate but they are doing work for it constantly.

21y(22y right now) 70+ point player with one of the best shots in the league is incredible valuable on the market.

Laine also plays with much better talent then Domi with the Coyotes and Habs. Fair is fair. And I have to repeat myself cause it's HF boards... Laine > Domi. Habs add Caufield and I feel he bridges the gap. Domi is not just some 40-50 pts player. His age 23 season with 72 pts and 28 goals playing with Shaw full time and Drouin (50% of the time) was not a fluke. This past year, he was rag dolled all over the line-up cause Julien wanted him to focus on D more. He still managed a pro rated season of 51 pts and 20 goals.

Jets actually shelter Laine more than Domi with offensive zone starts. Laine is close to 70% and Domi is around 60%. Domi's struggles this season are overblown as well.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Remember when you said the offer of Domi, Caufield, Mete, 1st wasn't close to landing Laine and then fans from other teams called you insane?

And you're calling others biased?
Try reading the thread again.Most other fans are saying f Domi, Caufield, Mete, 1st is an overpayment or they are saying the Jets would easily accept that offer. Not hard to check. Only 4 pages. Hey wait i think only one fan said not a chance to the Habs offer.That was a Jet fan called snowman.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Laine also plays with much better talent then Domi with the Coyotes and Habs. Fair is fair. And I have to repeat myself cause it's HF boards... Laine > Domi. Habs add Caufield and I feel he bridges the gap. Domi is not just some 40-50 pts player. His age 23 season with 72 pts and 28 goals playing with Shaw full time and Drouin (50% of the time) was not a fluke. This past year, he was rag dolled all over the line-up cause Julien wanted him to focus on D more.

No matter how you spin it Laine has been superior to Domi in his 1st 4 seasons post draft, and Laine has shown development in his game.

You get Laine and you are going to play him with someone better than Little, they are just a garbage fit for each other.

Again no matter where he goes go somewhere where the chains are off, and he can be a sniper without a mjehh C next to him.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
I wonder if the Canes or Islanders could trade from their plethora of defensemen in order to nab Laine or Ehlers. Hell, Columbus might be another team to look at there as well.

It'd be exciting to see another hockey trade a la Weber for Subban or Jones for Johansen.

the paisanos guy

the hell do i know about cooking a shirt?
Dec 6, 2010
Try reading the thread again.Most other fans are saying f Domi, Caufield, Mete, 1st is an overpayment or they are saying the Jets would easily accept that offer. Not hard to check. Only 4 pages. Hey wait i think only one fan said not a chance to the Habs offer.That was a Jet fan called snowman.

I don't think you read my post correctly, that's what I'm saying.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No matter how you spin it Laine has been superior to Domi in his 1st 4 seasons post draft, and Laine has shown development in his game.

You get Laine and you are going to play him with someone better than Little, they are just a garbage fit for each other.

Again no matter where he goes go somewhere where the chains are off, and he can be a sniper without a mjehh C next to him.

Not spinning it cause I've said Laine > Domi multiple times. You are the one spinning things. I'm saying both have flaws... not just Domi.

- Laine's trade value is 70 pts and 40 goals (+/-)
* Career totals after 4 seasons is 66 pts and 37 goals

- Domi's trade value is 60 pts and 25 goals (+/-)
* Career totals after 5 seasons are 55 pts and 18 goals.

Habs offering Caufield on top of Domi bridges this gap. Caufield is not just some average grade a prospect. He's not blue chip but as close as they come to it! Habs are prepared to go deeper than that and offer the Blues 2nd and a RD prospect in Fleury. It's a solid offer. Jets think they can get a potential #1C already playing in the NHL. Well, that's not coming from the Habs and doubt any team offers that.

Now, please spin it into another direction cause this post has a lot of logic to it and you won't be willing to acknowledged it

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I’m curious what Laine’s flaws are at this point.

I think Laine's biggest issue is his personality. He's not an "alpha." I'm not saying he doesn't have drive but he's more of a passenger and that creates uncertainty around his game. As long as Wheeler and to an extent Scheifele run the Jets it's going to be a challenge for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad