Waived: Frank Corrado, Linden Vey, Alex Biega (UPDATE: Corrado claimed by TOR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Rather see sbisa gone but it is what it is. I thought Biega was good enough. Nice to see Benning hold true to his word and some youth integrated. Solid moves today.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Losing Corrado will suck if it happens but I'm OK with the decision. He hasn't earned it. More than that I'm so happy to see this organization finally follow through on the promise of injecting youth into the lineup after hearing the false promises the last two seasons.

Highly doubt he's claimed. Better defenceman such as Mark Barberio will be on waivers today.

Dissonance

Feb 27, 2002
Cabbage Patch
Visit site
Corrado will def clear now, biega maybe not.

I'm guessing Biega will clear pretty easily. Doubt other teams have been watching him closely and he "seems" like a career minor leaguer to people who haven't been paying attention.

Shame he's getting sent down after such an excellent preseason. In a just world we'd be waiving Sbisa instead. The good news is Biega will almost certainly get a chance to prove himself when injuries hit.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Cracknell is a decent 4th line centre option. Wouldn't mind the team keeping an eye on who goes on waivers among 4th line centre types though.

Keeping Hutton on the roster and waiving 3 players today gives us the flexibility to pick someone up off of waivers. If they decide to pick someone up tomorrow Hutton can be demoted immediately, whereas waiver eligible players need a day to clear which doesn't work with the roster deadline.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Too bad Benning couldn't go the final mile and have Biega ahead of Bartkowski or even Sbisa

Vey and Carrado should easily make it thru. Biega I'm not so sure.

Getting rid of Vey gives management a bit more credibility.

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
Keeping Hutton on the roster and waiving 3 players today gives us the flexibility to pick someone up off of waivers. If they decide to pick someone up tomorrow Hutton can be demoted immediately, whereas waiver eligible players need a day to clear which doesn't work with the roster deadline.

Calling a Max Talbot claim right now.

crazyforhockey

Jul 31, 2007
cracknell can be waived when higgins back.....if mgt is reluctant to waive prust(again all depends on how well everone plays)

postseason is in books....throw it away

cracknell can also sub out the wingers on the 4th line as needed

side note heard oilers send down drasietle....ahl

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
I don't think I can support the tank movement now that our best prospects are on the team. I would've liked to incubate them for one more year with Vey driving the tank. All Vey had to do was play mediocre hockey, and Benning probably wouldn't have waived him. He couldn't even do that.

This feels like we skipped ahead to the 2016/2017 season. I wasn't quite ready for all this. :laugh:

Michael Dal Swolle

Dec 15, 2013
Have to give credit where it is due- Benning kept his word (mostly) that young players would make the team if they earned it.

Maccas

Aug 26, 2010
England
Wow, I am genuinely shocked, The management finally made a decision I can 100% get behind.
Buzzing for the kids, they definitely deserved a shot after the pre-season they've put in and the three of them making the team not only gives the injection of youth that it desperately needs but on paper it looks stronger now.
A little disappointed for Biega but I would have been very surprised if he was kept up. Hutton can bring some much needed offense from our back end and realistically Sbisa, Bartowski, Weber were near enough untouchable. At least if he clears waivers then he'll be able to stabilise the D-core in Utica and should be able to help guys like Subban and Pedan.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
Im honestly a bit shocked. But they really made the right call here. Vey looked like a pile of crap. So good riddance. And Hutton earned his spot over Biega and Corrado. Im so excited to see these kids play. 3 rookies in the lineup and Bo & Bae too....wow

Scorevat53

Sep 16, 2015
Manitoba
I don't think I can support the tank movement now that our best prospects are on the team. I would've liked to incubate them for one more year with Vey driving the tank. All Vey had to do was play mediocre hockey, and Benning probably wouldn't have waived him. He couldn't even do that.

This feels like we skipped ahead to the 2016/2017 season. I wasn't quite ready for all this. :laugh:

I Know how you're feeling but if Virtanen and McCann make it through the first 9 games this could be a very exciting year of Hockey. Finally getting to watch our Young guns play

Can't wait to see what Baertschi can bring this year with a decent line

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
Will be shocked if any of those three are claimed. Correct call on all accounts. Canucks did exactly what they said they would.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

This for me too. I was all ready for a season of suck led by Sbisa, Prust, and another year of declining 30+ vets and was content with the prospect of a badly needed high draft pick. Even with Virtanen on the roster I figured he could handle the adversity of a loss-filled season.

But now I can't bear to see 3 kids plus Baertschi, Markstrom, and Horvat get crushed under the weight of that many losses, not to mention WD's likely decreasing their roles in an attempt to "right the ship" by playing the vets more.

Sigh, what a conundrum ...

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen

Burrows-McCann-Hansen

Higgins-Sutter-Dorsett

would be a helluva fun lineup to watch if the kids manage to stay up past nine games, and when Higgins comes back.

Don't be surprised when you see Burrows with the twins, Vrbata with Horvat and Baert, McCann/Higgins on the wing with Sutter and Hansen, Virtanen on the 4th line with Prust/Cracknell and Dorsett, or McCann in the middle on 4th when Higgins comes back. Then worst case scenario, McCann back to Jrs. when Higgins returns.

These are all groupings WD seems to be toying with rather than the obvious lines which were successful already.

I hope yours are correct, but I don't like Willie and haven't since game 1/2014.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad