Recalled/Assigned: Frank Corrado (AHL), Zach Hamill (AHL), and Brendan Gaunce (OHL) sent down

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
I think the thing to keep in mind is that Corrado and Weber play the right side and Alberts plays the left side. I think the Canucks would like to see what Weber does for the 2nd unit PP before they waive him in favour of Corrado.

I undestand MS's last point, but I only want young players on the team if they make complete sense. If Tortorella wants to play 4 defensemen 24 minutes a night, one 18, and one 8-9, then I don't think you radically re-design his intended icetime allotment just for Corrado. If Corrado is good enough, he'll be up as soon as one guy is injured I imagine.

I think Corrado is good -- more potential than Tanev -- but I don't think right now he's better than any of the Top 5. I wouldn't mind seeing him get a few games on the left side in Utica to see if he can handle it. The more flexibility the better.

Betamax*

I think the thing to keep in mind is that Corrado and Weber play the right side and Alberts plays the left side. I think the Canucks would like to see what Weber does for the 2nd unit PP before they waive him in favour of Corrado.

I undestand MS's last point, but I only want young players on the team if they make complete sense. If Tortorella wants to play 4 defensemen 24 minutes a night, one 18, and one 8-9, then I don't think you radically re-design his intended icetime allotment just for Corrado. If Corrado is good enough, he'll be up as soon as one guy is injured I imagine.

I think Corrado is good -- more potential than Tanev -- but I don't think right now he's better than any of the Top 5. I wouldn't mind seeing him get a few games on the left side in Utica to see if he can handle it. The more flexibility the better.

Torts during his last PC was asked a question on whether he believed was Corrado was their 6th best defensemen. He said no. I think that' a stretch to believe. I think anyone that is objective would slot him ahead of Weber and Alberts right now if you were going to ice a line-up in a crucial game ... say Playoffs. But I think the point you've raised on how Torts wants to allocate his ice time at least initially and have it top heavy on his top 4 and 5 d-men would be a plausible and rational reason to send Corrado down if the plan is to play the 6th guy around 10 minutes or so and have a vet with less upside like a Weber or Alberts play the limited minutes and if/when an injury occurs in the top 5, Corrado would be the guy that plays in the top 5 as a drop in replacement over a Weber or Alberts.

Hyack57

Aug 6, 2004
Airdrie, AB
Corrado's demotion is understandable when you consider the lack of NHL ready defenders on the farm.

Imagine a scenario where Frankie is kept up, and Alberts is waived and claimed. One injury to the defence would have Weber slotting in with likely Andersson or Tommernes called up. With two injuries to the defence, both Andersson and Tommernes would be on our roster. With three injuries, the next in line would likely be Sauve.

The Canucks simply have piss-poor defensive depth on the farm this year, and it would be awful assert management to lose an NHL proven defence man (however suspect Alberts' play had been this season) in such a circumstance.

You realize that corrado can just as easily get injured on the farm too so we'd be the same situation. If that's the case is imagine the Canucks going to the waiver wire to pick up a dman or a small trade.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
You realize that corrado can just as easily get injured on the farm too so we'd be the same situation. If that's the case is imagine the Canucks going to the waiver wire to pick up a dman or a small trade.

Huh? If Corrado was hurt, it wouldn't matter (in this scenario) because the team would still have seven NHL defensemen*

*Term used loosely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad