Recalled/Assigned: Frank Corrado (AHL), Zach Hamill (AHL), and Brendan Gaunce (OHL) sent down

Waveburner

Sep 22, 2002
Agreed with MS on this.

Especially about Alberts. Bringing him back again was just stupid. He's been terrible for almost his entire Canucks career. There are few D-men in the NHL who give up the type of time and space to the opposition that Alberts does. He's a D-man built for the old hooking and holding NHL. Somehow Gillis just seems oblivious.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
if he's playing the bottom pairing 8 minutes a night, by my math that's an average of 26 minutes for each top 4 guy. I don't see that.
I think the more likely scenario is that the bottom pairing plays 16 minutes leaving 22 minutes for each of the top 4. I think 16 minutes a night is an ideal situation for Corrado. I shudder at the thought of either Alberts or Weber playing that much.
In my mind, Torts' statement was more of an attempt to justify a move that was made for keeping both Alberts and Weber rather than for hockey reasons. A s a pure hockey decision the kid was by far the better of the three guys fighting for the last position and is ready for the NHL.

Pairings aren't static though, and special teams can have a big effect on a player's overall minutes. Just looking at NYR last year they had:

4 guys at 23+ minutes
1 guy at 18 minutes
a collection of guys who ranged from 5-13 minutes

Given all the special teams minutes and in-game switching of pairs, it's quite possible to have the #5 guy get nearly twice the minutes of the #6 guy.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
The summer of horrible decisions continue. I've been a huge fan and watched every single Canucks game since AV took over but last week I cancelled my GCL and I'm not planning to watch that many games nor pay that much attention this season. Not sure how that will go, but that's the plan anyway.

It's been just a disappointment after another this summer, and the way they handled this defenceman issue only reinforces that point. I'm a rational fan and I understand the way things sometimes go and I'm not going to kneejerk anything, but recently I've been completely on a different page with Gillis regarding a lot of decisions he has made to the point it makes me too angry to follow what happens to the team.

I mean, in the past there's been times when I've questioned moves but I can still see where the team is coming from and fundamentally agree with the decision even if it's not the ideal situation from my POV (like keeping Bieksa instead of Ehrhoff and the Hodgson case). This summer however, it's been different. Right now it's impossible for me to see these things the way they see them.

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
The summer of horrible decisions continue. I've been a huge fan and watched every single Canucks game since AV took over but last week I cancelled my GCL and I'm not planning to watch that many games nor pay that much attention this season. Not sure how that will go, but that's the plan anyway.

It's been just a disappointment after another this summer, and the way they handled this defenceman issue only reinforces that point. I'm a rational fan and I understand the way things sometimes go and I'm not going to kneejerk anything, but recently I've been completely on a different page with Gillis regarding a lot of decisions he has made to the point it makes me too angry to follow what happens to the team.

I mean, in the past there's been times when I've questioned moves but I can still see where the team is coming from and fundamentally agree with the decision even if it's not the ideal situation from my POV. This summer however, it's been different. Right now it's impossible for me to see these things the way they see them.

Still going to see how they do this season though...Yes?

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Pairings aren't static though, and special teams can have a big effect on a player's overall minutes. Just looking at NYR last year they had:

4 guys at 23+ minutes
1 guy at 18 minutes
a collection of guys who ranged from 5-13 minutes

Given all the special teams minutes and in-game switching of pairs, it's quite possible to have the #5 guy get nearly twice the minutes of the #6 guy.

I've been guessing this for a few months -- since the hiring of Tortorella -- and earlier in this thread. I'm glad to see he's somewhat confirmed that (Gillis, too). That's just how Tortorella plays.

The good news is Corrado looks like he can step in and be a #4/#5 if injuries require it.

I'm a bit perplexed at the overreaction to this. Where did people expect Corrado to play? Unless Tortorella tried to run three balanced pairings, I guess, but then I think you're not using Hamhuis/Garrison enough (in my opinion, anyway). Let the horses run.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Still going to see how they do this season though...Yes?

Sure. Just not paying as much as attention as in the past. I mean this is only personal stuff and I expect no one to care but I just feel like all this "feeling bad" about the team's decisions that I follow and love has become too much of a burden to me and I need to take some time off.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I think a big part of the problem here is that people think Corrado played better than he actually did. He wasn't terribad or anything, but he had games where he looked passive and tentative, passes were going right through him, he was getting knocked down in puck battles and his indecisiveness with the puck lead to him getting stripped a fair bit, frequently in his own zone. Tanev, as a point of reference, was heads and shoulders above Frankie. Really, imo, the biggest difference between FC and Weber was the quality of their partners, which is why I agree completely with sending FC down.

The way I see it, AA + Weber will platoon with Bieksa on the third pairing, then when there's an injury Frankie will get called up and inserted in the line up. Imo both tanev and Edler benefitted from their extra AHL time, and Frankie will to.

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
Sure. Just not paying as much as attention as in the past. I mean this is only personal stuff and I expect no one to care but I just feel like all this "feeling bad" about the team's decisions that I follow and love has become too much of a burden to me and I need to take some time off.

Oh I don't think you are alone on this.

There is no doubt that fan support is wavering for the Canucks.

I was working seven nights a week last season and so I PVR'd most games and watched them when I came home. And started fast forwarding...a lot. The brand of hockey, even winning hockey became boring. There seemed to be a lack of passion on the team, and again, that was even when we were winning.

I've watched these guys from the beginning and I always head into each season with a sense of optimism.

But this season will be a challenge, no matter how much optimism I or anyone has. I think there is going to be a noticeable adjustment period as Torts works to get his system in place. And I don't see a lot of patience within this fanbase.

But the character and the talent is there. I think they'll stay close until they get it. And if they get it, then I believe that after Christmas these guys are going to start performing at the elite level again.

And then we'll see.

Alexistheman

Jun 28, 2007
Surrey
Canucks can bury Alberts in the minors, Weber too. If they can find someone on the waiver wire to replace them, that will be great, if not thats fine too. Corrado needs to be playing big minutes.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Although extremely unlikely, who knows, maybe they offer Tom Gilbert a contract. Apparently he has looked good in Florida's pre-season games.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He also said he didn't want Corrado playing 8-9 minutes a night which is probably a good indication of how he plans to structure the defense's minutes. If true, I'm not sure I buy the idea that his development would be better served in the NHL. If we see Alberts/Weber playing 15+ minutes a night then I'll agree that this was a mistake, but if the #6 guy ends up sitting on the bench most of the night I think this is probably the right decision.

People keep bringing this up.

But I'd argue that there's some sort of fundamental disconnect happening here, if on one hand you're stressing over and over again to the media how important it is to be integrating young players into your roster and developing them at the NHL level, and on the other hand coaches/management have decided to structure their defensive group in such a way so that actually doing that is impossible.

There's no reason that Corrado couldn't average 17-18 minutes/game as the #6 defender. They've just decided not to do it that way. So yet again, their words and actions aren't aligning.

Tanevian*

Hate that Corrado is sent down and the biggest plug on our team gets to stay up.

Pathetic management by Gillis.

Actually, it's not pathetic mgmt at all. Someone will be watching a lot of games rather than playing and better that be Alberts here and Corrado playing 25 a night in the A.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
There is no reason Corrado would not be playing 15+ every night here as the #5/6 guy, especially when injuries become a factor. I would take that over the 25 inferior minutes he would get in Utica when it comes to his development.

I understand the practical reason behind it, but it's still a slap in the face and a reversal on their word.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Canucks can bury Alberts in the minors, Weber too. If they can find someone on the waiver wire to replace them, that will be great, if not thats fine too. Corrado needs to be playing big minutes.

Its often not that simple plus by keeping them its actually virtually no risk. If they find someone BETTER than they can easily send them down and bury them later and have that new player take their spot.

Also like i said earlier, remember we have 2 forwards (ZK and JS) that are hurt/suspended right now. Makes more sense to carry an extra forward for now. The roster right now will not be the same 5 games from now and without a doubt different than the roster at the end of the season/start of the playoff (assuming we get in). Its more important for Corrado to progress during the season than having the best possible line-up at the very start. If the extra playing time helps Corrado advance his game, then give him the minutes then call him up when there's an injury or when its time. He proved last season that he could come up and jump straight into the playoff without looking out of place. We should try to take advantage of that.

Plus like i said earlier, right now there are 2 forwards (BH and HS) that cannot be called back up if we send them down. To make a roster spot for them (temp), it makes more sense to send down a non-core player that doesn't need to clear waiver than risk losing a depth player (like Alberts who i assume is #7). Lets be honest, at the moment, as good/bad as it is, our primary depth will be playing in Jr as BH/BG/HS has shown this pre-season, they are clearly ahead of Jensen in terms of being ready and well ahead of any other forward "prospect" we have. If we send both BH and HS down, our forward depth pool will likely consist of Jensen, Archibald, and Hamill... none of which better than BH/HS so at least while we can (in terms of asset management), we might as well take advantage of that 9 game window where we can play them pretty much for free (i.e. not costing 1 year of their ELC).

Hopefully this also buys time for Jensen to discover some consistency and focus a bit more on offense without being a defensive liability (from what i saw, he was clearly focus on not being too big of a liability defensively but at the cost of basically all his offense aka making his useless/non-asset since we really drafted him to be an offensive player not a shutdown player and he isn't even all that great defensively when he tries). I hope Corrado plays with Andersson or Tommernes since i think either pairing could be good in the AHL level and who knows could be a pairing in the future for us.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
My first reaction to Corrado's demotion was negative, but on reflection I don't think it matters that much. I still think he'll get more games in with the Canucks than Weber or Alberts. There will be injuries. Corrado will be called up, and when he is I guess he'll play. By the end of the season, I think he'll be up for good.

My prediction: If he stays healthy Corrado plays more than 40 games with the Canucks during the regular season and sticks in the playoffs.

Last edited:

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I want a better #6 than Weber/Alberts brought in if Corrado is sent down. That's what I want to see, if that can't be done bring him back up. As it stands now though we need a better vet at #6/7.

Pretty much this. I just want someone to replace Alberts and get him the hell off this team.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009

But I'd argue that there's some sort of fundamental disconnect happening here, if on one hand you're stressing over and over again to the media how important it is to be integrating young players into your roster and developing them at the NHL level, and on the other hand coaches/management have decided to structure their defensive group in such a way so that actually doing that is impossible.

There's no reason that Corrado couldn't average 17-18 minutes/game as the #6 defender. They've just decided not to do it that way. So yet again, their words and actions aren't aligning.

And it basically boils down to this. Very strange indeed.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
There is no reason Corrado would not be playing 15+ every night here as the #5/6 guy, especially when injuries become a factor. I would take that over the 25 inferior minutes he would get in Utica when it comes to his development.

I understand the practical reason behind it, but it's still a slap in the face and a reversal on their word.

"When injuries become a factor" he will be called up.

knoxdown

Apr 3, 2012
An organization doesn't burn a year off of an ELC contract for no reason.

Corrado played exceptionally well, both in a playoff environment last year as well as in a preseason competitive atmosphere, I also read somewhere about how high Torts and Gillis were on the kid and his conditioning.

A burned year off his ELC and outplaying a few D men is enough reason for him to play in the NHL and he will. I see things going like this.

- He plays in Utica for a month or two.
- Roster management happens after 9 games with shink and Horvat
- One of Bieksa, Tanev, or Weber more than likely get a minor injury in this stretch, Corrado comes in to play RHD. When that injured player returns. Corrado sticks.
- At that point Torts has already realized the advantage carrying 8D has over 14F.

Edler 23min
Hamhuis-21min
Garrison and Bieksa 20min
Tanev 19min
corrado 17min

cup

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
An organization doesn't burn a year off of an ELC contract for no reason.

This doesn't affect his ELC. First, he played enough last year to start his ELC (only 2 years left), and second, he's not going back to junior, where it would be pushed back. Even if he hadn't burned a year last year, and never played in the NHL this year, a year of his contract is used up.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

But this way, they can make sure that all of their important defencemen are completely worn down by the time playoffs roll around. Lean on the big-4 in the NHL, and get Frankie playing huge minutes in Utica so everyone can be tired and worn out in the spring. :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad