Recalled/Assigned: Frank Corrado (AHL), Zach Hamill (AHL), and Brendan Gaunce (OHL) sent down

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Last edited:

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
It says Gaunce was sent to Utica. Is it still training camp there or was that a mistake? Is he back to junior?

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Right call for both. Corrado will get a chance to lead the Comets, and Gaunce will build on the work done here. Not concerned on either. Jensen on the other hand...

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Disgraceful.

The guy made the team. Badly outplayed the two established players ahead of him.

This comes after all the talk heading into camp about 'veterans losing jobs' and 'young guys needing to step up'. Alberts was just horrendous, as bad as he could possibly be. He should have lost his job. Awful player.

And the ridiculous thing is that we're sending down the one young player who looks ready to make an impact at this level, while we keep up two forwards who don't look remotely ready at all.

I've been a big Gillis supporter, but stuff like this makes you wonder if he's losing he plot. Reminds of the 2007 training camp where Edler was sent down after being the team's best player in preseason, while a hopelessly unready Mason Raymond was kept on the squad.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Let Corrado do wonders down in Utica, he'll be back for the playoffs imo. I thought they would keep Gaunce longer, but it seems Bo has jumped past him. I personally wouldn't have sent Corrado down, but I understand the decision

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
I don't get why we're keeping Horvat up over Gaunce. Gaunce has looked better of the two, is further along in his development, and has less to gain from another year in junior.

It's likely either one would be temporary anyways though, until Schroeder comes back, but still.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Disgraceful.

The guy made the team. Badly outplayed the two established players ahead of him.

This comes after all the talk heading into camp about 'veterans losing jobs' and 'young guys needing to step up'. Alberts was just horrendous, as bad as he could possibly be. He should have lost his job. Awful player.

And the ridiculous thing is that we're sending down the one young player who looks ready to make an impact at this level, while we keep up two forwards who don't look remotely ready at all.

I've been a big Gillis supporter, but stuff like this makes you wonder if he's losing he plot. Reminds of the 2007 training camp where Edler was sent down after being the team's best player in preseason, while a hopelessly unready Mason Raymond was kept on the squad.

The context is the pre-season. They have their book on Alberts via the games he played for them. Could it be that his bad pre-season showing doesn't really impact his standing here? Same for Weber, who also has a pro record?

I know we disagree with this, but it is the right move IMO. This also allows the team to better make moves now with an open roster spot, and not carrying 8 Dmen.

This is more about the organization rather than the team itself.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I think Horvat has looked better than Gaunce recently. No surprise they chose Horvat over him

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I don't get why we're keeping Horvat up over Gaunce. Gaunce has looked better of the two, is further along in his development, and has less to gain from another year in junior.

It's likely either one would be temporary anyways though, until Schroeder comes back, but still.

Looks like we disagree again, Horvat has shown better than Gaunce near the end of the pre-season.

Edit: LpH beats me to it.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Let's hope Corrado takes the news well, cause I know that I wouldn't.

Hey frank. You played great. Did better than our other guys fighting for the same spot. But the problem is that you're the only one who doesn't have to clear waivers.

So enjoy Utica.

What a joke

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
I think Horvat has looked better than Gaunce recently. No surprise they chose Horvat over him

I think Horvat looked better in Phoenix. San Jose was a wash, and all the prior games Gaunce was better. I think Gaunce deserved at least as many games as Horvat has had before making the decision to cut him.

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
Gaunce still needs to work on working with pace. He'll be able to do that in the OHL better than in the NHL.

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
Hey frank. You played great. Did better than our other guys fighting for the same spot. But the problem is that you're the only one who doesn't have to clear waivers.

So enjoy Utica.

What a joke

Or how about you're 20 years old and have only 16 professional hockey games under your belt and we want to send you to Utica to get seasoned playing top pairing minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad