Confirmed with Link: Francois Allaire named goalie coach with Avalanche

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
So, does Allaire think Varly wants a fresh start or does varly actually want one? This guy sounds like bad news to be honest.
He's pretty obviously saying Varly is open to everything because he didn't like the direction his game was going. Varly has already met with the guy in Switzerland and is flying to Montreal next month to meet him again.

This is a make or break year for Varly. He needs to step up and he should be open to looking at ways to get better.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
So, does Allaire think Varly wants a fresh start or does varly actually want one? This guy sounds like bad news to be honest.

That is unclear in the article simply because they didn't interview Varly. I doubt Allaire would say that unless it has been discussed internally.

What makes you say that? Allaire's track record speaks for itself.

Actually this quote gives me optimism:
"After that, I want him to understand I'm not coming from a different planet. It's the same stuff. We don't want him to change everything. I've met with him a few times already. One of my trademarks is I try to make sure guys are feeling good and keep it simple, create good routine, make sure the guy is happy coming to the rink. Then after that, look at the tape and then find their best strength and build around it. I'm not there yet with Varly, but I expect that to come."

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
He's pretty obviously saying Varly is open to everything because he didn't like the direction his game was going. Varly has already met with the guy in Switzerland and is flying to Montreal next month to meet him again.

This is a make or break year for Varly. He needs to step up and he should be open to looking at ways to get better.

You don't get as far as varly then completely change your style of game. It's a recipe for disaster.

That is unclear in the article simply because they didn't interview Varly. I doubt Allaire would say that unless it has been discussed internally.

What makes you say that? Allaire's track record speaks for itself.

Actually this quote gives me optimism:
"After that, I want him to understand I'm not coming from a different planet. It's the same stuff. We don't want him to change everything. I've met with him a few times already. One of my trademarks is I try to make sure guys are feeling good and keep it simple, create good routine, make sure the guy is happy coming to the rink. Then after that, look at the tape and then find their best strength and build around it. I'm not there yet with Varly, but I expect that to come."

Yeah, that quote is encouraging but if he tries to change varly like he did with Reimer, then this will get messy.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Yeah, that quote is encouraging but if he tries to change varly like he did with Reimer, then this will get messy.

Allaire has mentored more athletic goalies as well, his coaching style is more versatile than it is given credit for. Bryzgalov, Hiller, Luongo, etc.

Reimer has come out and said that he doesn't think he would have made the NHL without Allaire.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
You don't get as far as varly then completely change your style of game. It's a recipe for disaster.

I don't think that there is anything to worry about as long as other members of the staff don't try to interfere like they did in Toronto. For Varly, I think fining that routine, and working on the fundamentals will be huge for his game. We have already seen him absolutely steal some games. What he needs now is some defensive help and consistency/confidence.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Lake Erie has hired their own goaltending coach in Jean-Ian Filiatrault. After doing some research, it appears he's an Allaire guy, so the Avs are at least trying to develop goalies.

Last edited:

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
That is Allaire's main AHL guy. Helped out for the Toronto and Anaheim organizations when Allaire had stints there.

That is excellent news.

I am really excited to have Allaire on this team. Especially with his 2 most successful pupils also on the team. Varly couldn't be in better hands IMO.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Don't listen to Toronto fans and media.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
i don't think it's Allaire trying to throw everything Varly does out the window. i think it's him tinkering with his mechanics and refining things.
similar to a QB with a ton of talent who wants to get better and changes certain mechanical flaws to do so.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
One thing people have to remember when it comes to Varly and Allaire, is that Roy is Varly's idol.

I highly doubt that Varly is going to even remotely doubt or fight anything Allaire tells him to do. Between Roy, Giguere, Luongo, and other goalies hes helped to successful careers. He has the credibility, and mentored his idol. I'm sure Varlamov is absolutely ecstatic about the opportunity to work with him.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
So not only do we have a goalie coach that is already working with our goalies face to face rather then on the phone every once and a while. We also have a goalie coach that we so desperately needed for our prospects down in Lake Erie. Yet we're still being negative about the whole thing?

Allaire is the best thing that happened to Reimer. Allaire has helped out so many goalies achieve high levels of play. He doesn't want Varly to turn into some robot that closes his eyes and hopes for the best. He's trying to get him to calm down and simplify his game which is what Varly needs to do. Obviously the high tempo, jump all over the crease style of play Varly was doing isn't working. Too much energy being wasted and he's relying on his reflex's a bit too much. Allaire will provide structure to his game that Varly needs.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
So not only do we have a goalie coach that is already working with our goalies face to face rather then on the phone every once and a while. We also have a goalie coach that we so desperately needed for our prospects down in Lake Erie. Yet we're still being negative about the whole thing?

Allaire is the best thing that happened to Reimer. Allaire has helped out so many goalies achieve high levels of play. He doesn't want Varly to turn into some robot that closes his eyes and hopes for the best. He's trying to get him to calm down and simplify his game which is what Varly needs to do. Obviously the high tempo, jump all over the crease style of play Varly was doing isn't working. Too much energy being wasted and he's relying on his reflex's a bit too much. Allaire will provide structure to his game that Varly needs.

it's HFboards.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
One thing people have to remember when it comes to Varly and Allaire, is that Roy is Varly's idol.

I highly doubt that Varly is going to even remotely doubt or fight anything Allaire tells him to do. Between Roy, Giguere, Luongo, and other goalies hes helped to successful careers. He has the credibility, and mentored his idol. I'm sure Varlamov is absolutely ecstatic about the opportunity to work with him.

This. I'm very happy about Allaire. He's great coach and I think Varlamov will take some huge steps forward.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
That is Allaire's main AHL guy. Helped out for the Toronto and Anaheim organizations when Allaire had stints there.

I wonder if Filiatrault is the "assistant" that was rumored to help Allaire. There hasn't been any talk of Allaire working with assistants at the NHL level in the sense it was originally rumored, and he didn't say anything in the interview. Didn't appear to be asked about either though, so who knows. :shakehead

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Tweet I saw this afternoon phrases it this way: so, yes?

@TheGoalieGuild: Francois Allaire has found his assistant. Lake Erie has added Jean-Ian Filiatrault as their goalie coach. Both were in Toronto together.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
I wonder if Filiatrault is the "assistant" that was rumored to help Allaire. There hasn't been any talk of Allaire working with assistants at the NHL level in the sense it was originally rumored, and he didn't say anything in the interview. Didn't appear to be asked about either though, so who knows. :shakehead

There was some talk at one point that Alaire had a plan in mind. He wanted to have a Goalie coaching staff of his own , a new structure, something that hasn't been done before in the NHL , where he would be the boss and will surpervise people in charge of goalies in an organisation. He talked briefly about it on RDS ( antichambre ) a month ago, they asked him questions about it , but he didnt want to talk . I think he wants to have a goalie coach for each league or something like that . One for the AHL , another coach for the prospects in Juniors , another one for those in europe . Like i said idk yet , but i think that's the general idea , where he would be the head of all this and will have people working for him bringing him back reports from the players.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
There was some talk at one point that Alaire had a plan in mind. He wanted to have a Goalie coaching staff of his own , a new structure, something that hasn't been done before in the NHL , where he would be the boss and will surpervise people in charge of goalies in an organisation. He talked briefly about it on RDS ( antichambre ) a month ago, they asked him questions about it , but he didnt want to talk . I think he wants to have a goalie coach for each league or something like that . One for the AHL , another coach for the prospects in Juniors , another one for those in europe . Like i said idk yet , but i think that's the general idea , where he would be the head of all this and will have people working for him bringing him back reports from the players.

Wow sounds great and especially for Avalanche. We haven't been able to produce star goaltenders, so this could be huge boost for us. Great news! :handclap:

This organization is going right way in so many ways. Thank god for Roy&Sakic! GREAT JOB!

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL

God i wish this happens. goalie coaches working with prospects and developing specific areas of the game while an overseer-er keeps everything in check.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Yea that's the rumor I was referring to, but I didn't think we had heard any real talk about it. I was wondering if it's just gonna be like how he had it before, with Filiatrault in the AHL, and maybe that original plan wasn't gonna go down that way.

I hadn't heard about the separate guy for junior, and a separate guy for Europe strategy though. Was that your speculation, or what he talked about on RDS?

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
Yea that's the rumor I was referring to, but I didn't think we had heard any real talk about it. I was wondering if it's just gonna be like how he had it before, with Filiatrault in the AHL, and maybe that original plan wasn't gonna go down that way.

I hadn't heard about the separate guy for junior, and a separate guy for Europe strategy though. Was that your speculation, or what he talked about on RDS?

that was speculation on my part , Allaire briefly talk about it on RDS ( back then ) , he just said that he had a new sturture in mind. In this new structure he wanted to be the head Goalie coach and would have some other goalie coaches ( more than one ) working for him at different levels. But when he was ask to elaborate , he said that he didnt want to talk about it much , that it's something that he might present to Roy , and we'll see .

SlyAvs

smokin Joe
Mar 21, 2011

Yes I saw it, it does sound like he want to put a "Team's Allaire "

Plus with 4 goalies prospect Avs needs it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad