Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - Part 2

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Been asked before but, any sort of update about eventually having a version of FHM on mobile devices (iphone/ipad)?

Would love to see something like we have with Football Manager and MLB Manager.

They said that they have plan to do it one day...no time table...

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
Anybody else play early NHL seasons? I’m having an issue in the 1920s era, where my prospects sign with WCHA/PCHL type teams and I can’t ever sign them. If I let them go unsigned after the draft I never get a second crack at them.

KnightAttack

Jan 3, 2017
Canada
Anybody else play early NHL seasons? I’m having an issue in the 1920s era, where my prospects sign with WCHA/PCHL type teams and I can’t ever sign them. If I let them go unsigned after the draft I never get a second crack at them.

I'm going to guess you posted this on our forums as well, but in case you happen to have the exact same issue as them, here's the answer:

The PCHA/WCHL/WHL and NHL respect each other's contracts, so you can't sign anyone away from the other league while he's under contract unless he happens to make it to free agency. Once the western league goes under in 1926, all its players will become free agents, and the ones you own the rights to won't be signable by other NHL teams.

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
I'm going to guess you posted this on our forums as well, but in case you happen to have the exact same issue as them, here's the answer:

The PCHA/WCHL/WHL and NHL respect each other's contracts, so you can't sign anyone away from the other league while he's under contract unless he happens to make it to free agency. Once the western league goes under in 1926, all its players will become free agents, and the ones you own the rights to won't be signable by other NHL teams.
Yes, that was me. Guilty as charged!

I understand about the leagues honoring each other’s contracts, but let me be more specific and see if I had any recourse here: I drafted a player (Joe Kocur) and did not sign him. WCHL team did, that contract expired in 1921. I hoped to sign him then, still owned NHL rights. When (if at all) would I have had a chance to sign him, as his contract now extends to 1923? I’m in the 21-22 season.

KnightAttack

Jan 3, 2017
Canada
Yes, that was me. Guilty as charged!

I understand about the leagues honoring each other’s contracts, but let me be more specific and see if I had any recourse here: I drafted a player (Joe Kocur) and did not sign him. WCHL team did, that contract expired in 1921. I hoped to sign him then, still owned NHL rights. When (if at all) would I have had a chance to sign him, as his contract now extends to 1923? I’m in the 21-22 season.

It can completely depend on that signing period. A player is not obligated to give you a chance to sign them. It's no different than right now when you deal with a player whose in the KHL and a team has NHL rights. If he continues to sign in the KHL, there's little recourse for you until he changes his mind. The only thing in historical is you know that league will collapse and you will still get his rights, albeit a few years down the road.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
Will I still get the fixes if I use opening night rosters? One of their updates this winter said the current rosters are their working database from here on out.

KnightAttack

Jan 3, 2017
Canada
Will I still get the fixes if I use opening night rosters? One of their updates this winter said the current rosters are their working database from here on out.

As long as your game is up to date, you'll be fine. Current game start options are rosters from opening night or post trade deadline.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
At last night twitch stream I heard something about "new licenses" for FHM 6 ?!

Matt UK

Mar 31, 2012
Wales, UK
Can't be too much longer before they announce FHM 6. Really hope they have worked on the user interface and in-game screen.

Reactions: Igoraj

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Never played this before.....is it just like Eastside? If i buy it will it have all the updated rosters and the 2019 results in?

KnightAttack

Jan 3, 2017
Canada
Can't be too much longer before they announce FHM 6. Really hope they have worked on the user interface and in-game screen.

We're really close. stay tuned.

But can you describe the User Interface part a little more? We've done a lot of work and now it's very similar to OOTP. If it's something I can bring back I will, but I need more information. As for in-game - we're continuing to tweak but there won't be a 2D or 3D engine in our next update. But we know it's a requested feature.

Never played this before.....is it just like Eastside? If i buy it will it have all the updated rosters and the 2019 results in?

Yes. Well, not 5. Our latest official roster update for 5 was Trade Deadline although some community members are working on QuickSaves. We keep everything up to date and usually release at least 3 Roster Updates (Beginning of the Year, around the Holiday Break and Trade Deadline). If you want to know more, check out our official YouTube page where our stream are archived (or come to our live show!) and you can see more about the game and some of the Mods that you can install as well.

ijif

Dec 20, 2018
Hey all, I have two questions, and I think this is probably the best place to get a potential answer. I just bought the game last night, so I am pretty much a complete noob.

First, I bought the game mainly for the Historical mode. The idea is, starting any time you want, incredible! I know drafts were not a thing in the early NHL. From my understanding, the game has drafts every year, which makes sense. If this was not the case, players in the early years would just join whatever team they actually played on. My question is, is the draft happening every year automatic, or is there a setting I have to click so the game knows to hold a draft every year, even if in real life there was no draft? I started a game with MTL in 1917-18, and I just don't want to get through a season and realize there is no draft.

Second, I bought the game for my computer, but I would still like to play on my laptop; however, the game screen is not fitted properly, and the error/suggestion on how to fix it pops up and disappears in about 0.1 seconds, so it is impossible to read. Does anyone know why this might be? I am assuming it has something to do with resolution, but I am not super savvy with computers.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any response!

Last edited:

KnightAttack

Jan 3, 2017
Canada
So, the mystery solved. It wasn't plural rather singular :)

As I said, he misspoke.

Hey all, I have two questions, and I think this is probably the best place to get a potential answer. I just bought the game last night, so I am pretty much a complete noob.

First, I bought the game mainly for the Historical mode. The idea is, starting any time you want, incredible! I know drafts were not a thing in the early NHL. From my understanding, the game has drafts every year, which makes sense. If this was not the case, players in the early years would just join whatever team they actually played on. My question is, is the draft happening every year automatic, or is there a setting I have to click so the game knows to hold a draft every year, even if in real life there was no draft? I started a game with MTL in 1917-18, and I just don't want to get through a season and realize there is no draft.

Second, I bought the game for my computer, but I would still like to play on my laptop; however, the game screen is not fitted properly, and the error/suggestion on how to fix it pops up and disappears in about 0.1 seconds, so it is impossible to read. Does anyone know why this might be? I am assuming it has something to do with resolution, but I am not super savvy with computers.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any response!

First thing - Open the Manual and have it beside you. It's very helpful to have open.

(1) When you start a Historical Game, there are several options to choose from. If you Draft Rookies/Generate Players at Age 17, you will have a draft every year. If you don't select this, players will be assigned to their real-life teams. It is a bit of a cheat to have a draft, but really it's the only functional way to make it fair.

(2) What resolution is your laptop? You need to be running in 1280 x 768 to have nothing cut off. Make sure to restart the game to have effect. If that's not it, try running in full screen. If that doesn't work, or you're still having cut off, are you running Windows 10? It could be default zooming in programs (something we've seen) and you need to change that setting on your end.

Reactions: ijif

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If FHM adopts the same format as OOTP, I'd definitely become very interested in getting it. I think I tried FHM 17 and it felt a little clunky, but I believe OOTP had a similar feel around that time.

Does FHM have the dynamic potential ability that OOTP has? That's one of my favorite features of OOTP and something I find EHM really lacking in. I love that players can become worse due to injury or that potential can go up or down based on performance in OOTP.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe

It's very different from Eastside. If you've ever played Out of The Park Baseball is the same company so the game resembles that. It's hard to compare the two because while they are both hockey manager sims they have a different vision, FHM has custom leagues for example and easy to expand existing leagues, also historical mode.

Yes you will be able to play with the most recent trades etc as of when its released

Reactions: Paul4587

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

It’s similar in that it’s a really good hockey management sim. But yeah they’re each their own game. I personally think FHM surpassed EHM when FHM4 came out.

EHM is probably better in terms of scouting, the draft and the user interface but FHM is far more realistic in terms of the simulation of games (the stats and results are pretty accurate to what you would expect), the development and aging process, contracts, and the ability to customise your own leagues or the NHL on the fly through expansion etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad