News Article: Francesco Aquilini wanted players to meet Tom Brady during road trip last year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Maybe if you'd come to this forum ready to learn from your peers, instead of being so defensive, you would have learned a thing or two ;)

I'm glad our owner set this up, and clearly paid money to do so (in the form of a donation to Brady's charity). Although I can't stand the Pats Brady is clearly doing something right. More interested to learn that Brady and Aqua are on such friendly terms, I wonder how they got to know one another.

Last edited by a moderator:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I actually don't know why this is news. Take away deflategate (or even include it)and Brady is considered a winner. I do find the sports science comment by Aquilini funny. Gillis was at the forefront of sports science but not so much Linden and Benning.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Did he ever even meet the players? Maybe I'm reading the order of the emails wrong but I thought the top would be the most recent and in the top one they basically say screw it lets go drink.

Sounds like Aqua just wants to go party with Brady. And yeah, he certainly didn't pass high school English by merit.

arsmaster*

When fans of other organizations "feel sorry" for us, that's laughing stock.

When fans of other teams are sending Flowers to thank our GM, that's laughing stock.

When fans are pleased our team took on guys they couldn't wait to get rid of, that's laughing stock.

When we're paying the 4th line more than Tampa's 1st line, that's laughing stock (this shouldn't last long, will be an expensive top line soon).

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
Just deleted a bunch of garbage, if I have to do it again I'll hand out infractions and thread bans if necessary.

1) Flaming: Do not post any messages that harass, insult (name calling), belittle, threaten or mock other members. Debates are fine, but critique the opinion, not the person. Personal attacks are not permitted. Do not call other posters trolls. Do not use sweeping generalizations and plural pronouns to cloak personal attacks. For example if a poster(s) states that he thinks 'x' is a good idea, replying that "Anyone who supports 'x' is an idiot" is a personal attack. Do not start threads to call out and embarrass other members; or make posts about ignore lists.

Again, if this is too difficult for you, report the post and use your ignore list.

Jabba The Hutton

Nucks STH
Jul 28, 2009
UBC
I too don't really understand the overwhelming hatred/disapproval about this. I believe they talked to the Spurs the year before about conditioning and the Canucks leadership group should be happy to sit down with everyone they can about it.

1. We are one of the teams with the most travelling miles in the whole league, if not #1.
2. We play an incredibly hard 82 game season.
3. One of the keys to winning in the playoffs is conditioning and avoiding injuries (2011 we didn't do so well in that regard)
4. We have one of the oldest cores in the league (similar to the Patriots and Spurs, except we haven't won anything)

Ergo, having the leadership team (i.e. Sedins, Hamhuis, Edler, Higgins, etc) speaking with great athletes in other sports who are around the same age can't hurt.

I feel like we are projecting the other management mistakes or narratives into this one, such as the fact that Aquilini is too involved in the team or these meetings about conditioning are pointless. If we treat this story in a vacuum, I like that Aquilini is doing this. It was probably part of the Canucks strategy to reach out to these players/teams and only Aquilini has that pull to be able to get these numbers.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
I'm glad our owner set this up, and clearly paid money to do so (in the form of a donation to Brady's charity). Although I can't stand the Pats Brady is clearly doing something right. More interested to learn that Brady and Aqua are on such friendly terms, I wonder how they got to know one another.

I was adopting the same stance Aquilini took in his e-mail (suggesting he told them they better be open to learning or there'd be no point!) to illustrate how grating that tone can be.

My comment itself was not in any way seriously directed towards the other poster -- hence the wink. It was an ironic jest, if you will.

Last edited by a moderator:

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
So we had a game @ Bos on Feb 24th.. obviously this went down during that trip.

Has it been confirmed they followed thru on the meeting?

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Much ado about nothing.

As usual, an excuse to dump on Canucks ownership or management for every little thing.

I despise the Patriots, but Tom Brady is a winner in every sense of the word and as a great leader of a pro sports team as there is out there. Why not reach out to people of this ilk and see what can be learned?

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
If anything came out of this meeting I don't see why they wouldn't release it publicly? I remember when Gillis met with the Spurs to talk about these kind of things, that was released publicly, and it made sense. Just leads me to believe that Aqua was more interested in hanging with Brady than anything else.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
When fans of other organizations "feel sorry" for us, that's laughing stock.

When fans of other teams are sending Flowers to thank our GM, that's laughing stock.

When fans are pleased our team took on guys they couldn't wait to get rid of, that's laughing stock.

When we're paying the 4th line more than Tampa's 1st line, that's laughing stock (this shouldn't last long, will be an expensive top line soon).
Some examples would be helpful.

If you want to base your thoughts of your hockey team on the actions of 1 cheeky Flames fan then be my guest. Then again they've had several seasons as bad or worse in recent years than our worst season in like 15 years.

Fans often turn on players after their traded, it's pretty common. Not really anything to bank on.

What will our 4th line make, anyways? Assuming Prust/Dorsett/Vey. That's 6 mil. Johnson/Palat alone make 6.666 so not sure what your getting at.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
If anything came out of this meeting I don't see why they wouldn't release it publicly? I remember when Gillis met with the Spurs to talk about these kind of things, that was released publicly, and it made sense. Just leads me to believe that Aqua was more interested in hanging with Brady than anything else.

I mean, this is literally the first email:

Tom: Let’s just skip the whole talk to the players thing and just go to dinner. We will just have fun. Cheers Francesco

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Much ado about nothing.

As usual, an excuse to dump on Canucks ownership or management for every little thing.

I despise the Patriots, but Tom Brady is a winner in every sense of the word and as a great leader of a pro sports team as there is out there. Why not reach out to people of this ilk and see what can be learned?

Let's reach out to Brady and see how we can pull off our own #deflategate

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Maybe we can make the pucks smaller at GM place and score more goals. Or larger, considering we're going to see more red lights behind Miller than a certain district in Amsterdam this year.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Let's reach out to Brady and see how we can pull off our own #deflategate

Lol I like it... We should have nets an inch shorter...

FA... So any ideas you think would help us gain an edge...

TB... Do you have a hack saw handy?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Much ado about nothing.

You mean the cheat who should have been spsuspended from the Superbowl? Dat character, we want it for our boys. Cheats and racists, need more of those. Up next a trip to see Lance Armstrong and how they do it in the deep south.

Last edited:

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
You mean the cheat who should have been sicken suspended from the Superbowl? Dat character, we want it or boys. Cheats and racists, need more of those.

Seinfeld-Leaving.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad