News Article: Francesco Aquilini wanted players to meet Tom Brady during road trip last year

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Part of the email:
tom: Any looking forward to seeing you and gisele on monday for dinner. Do you have a place in mind? On the player note, i spoke to my guys about meeting with you and how they felt about it. I told them that they would need to be open to listen to different ideas otherwise their is no point in meeting. They were thrilled and really honoured that you would make the time for them and said they would love hear your preparation and body maintenance for games. (don’t let a small problem become a big problem!). They are really looking forward to meeting you. Just from my conversation with you last summer it was amazing how far advanced you are in sports science. They will only benefit from someone like you that is actually doing it as opposed to theory. I’ve spent a lot of time on sports science, you are by far the most advanced i terms of its application. They are really interested in what you have to say on a lot of topics especially someone who has had a long successful career in pro sports and winning so many championships. If your still open to the idea we can meet for an hour before dinner somewhere and then go to dinner from there. There will be 6 guys from our leadership group and trevor linden our president and myself. It can be a round table discussion very casual. Cheers!

I guess it's encouraging and troubling at the same time how involved he is. Definitely wants to win though.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Aquilini has been one of the most generous Canuck owners of all time. Maxes out the salary cap if necessary. Allows Gillis to spend 3x the budget to upgrade facilities. Spends money on 'sport science research', Sports psychologists. It's night and day with Orca bay.

Well done!

jimmythescot

Jul 28, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
With added fanboi-ism, I would say.

C'mon, Francesco, you should be a Seahawks fan.

And yes, both he and Kraft wrote pretty poorly for professionals.
Yeah, it's like when your failed artist teacher would arrange a trip to meet one of his idols and spend the first few minutes of the field trip gushing over how his entirely bored and disinterested class was so excited to meet him.

I'm cringing imagining this totally no pressure informal dinner date between his honour roll students, the senior faculty members, and Mr Brady. I really hope it didn't happen.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Aquilini has been one of the most generous Canuck owners of all time. Maxes out the salary cap if necessary. Allows Gillis to spend 3x the budget to upgrade facilities. Spends money on 'sport science research', Sports psychologists. It's night and day with Orca bay.

Well done!

All true but to be fair, he's gotten pretty rich (not that he exactly shopped at Value Village before) owning the Canucks (a cash cow when he's owned it).

Will be interested to read how people will twist this as a negative. ..

Good on Brady to give up his time like that as well.
Could give pointers on how to cheat.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Will be interested to read how people will twist this as a negative. ..

Good on Brady to give up his time like that as well.

Fantastic leader and character is Tom Brady. Let's ignore he'll be spending a good chunk of time not playing football this year for cheating. And his destroying of his phone when he knew he was going to get caught. Strong moral fiber for the canucks leadership group to learn from. Fits right along side a recently announced hire that used racial slurs all the way back in 1989 I guess.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver

Well done!
Agreed. Love how he's raised ticket prices every single year save for the last 2.

Had the 3rd most expensive ticket on average in the NHL this past season.

Mandates making the playoffs over building a good team.

And those are just off the top of my head.

Perhaps Francesco should look down the road at a team like the Seahawks who built a champion through drafting.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010

Well done!

*eyes explode out of head, twist around the nerves and pop*

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Fantastic leader and character is Tom Brady. Let's ignore he'll be spending a good chunk of time not playing football this year for cheating. And his destroying of his phone when he knew he was going to get caught. Strong moral fiber for the canucks leadership group to learn from. Fits right along side a recently announced hire that used racial slurs all the way back in 1989 I guess.

Oh.. I missed the part he emailed him after deflategate.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Sounds like Aquaman just wants to go out for a night of fun with Mr. and Mrs. Brady :laugh:

"Tom: Let’s just skip the whole talk to the players thing and just go to dinner. We will just have fun. Cheers Francesco"

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Sounds like Aquaman just wants to go out for a night of fun with Mr. and Mrs. Brady :laugh:

"Tom: Let’s just skip the whole talk to the players thing and just go to dinner. We will just have fun. Cheers Francesco"

Pretty much. And then oh yeah, you're meeting with my players or something right? But about that dinner though...

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Oh.. I missed the part he emailed him after deflategate.

Ah so he was a fantastic man of character before he cheated. Gotcha. Probably just a moment of weakness where he conspired to cheat. This one time only. Honest.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Ah so he was a fantastic man of character before he cheated. Gotcha. Probably just a moment of weakness where he conspired to cheat. This one time only. Honest.

Your horse is mighty high today.

Brady was... ahhh.. you're right...

I'm with you... typical Aqualini thing to do... pathetic.

lush

@jasonlush
Sep 9, 2008
Vancouver
Lots more emails exchanged between the two of them in the deadspin article for those who want more. Great read, can't fault Aquilini here for anything, it's all just about conditioning and body maintenance from what I can tell

He is most certainly "hands on" just as we all feared and knew

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
I'd say it's more discouraging that we have an owner who doesn't know the difference between "your" and "you're"

This e-mail is kindergarten level. Sending this kind of crap out to clients would be a fire-able offense in most professional firms.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
How ludicrous is it that he talked to the players about it to make sure they would be sufficiently impressed with Brady? Lol.

I wonder who he considers "our leadership group" to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad