News Article: Francesco Aquilini wanted players to meet Tom Brady during road trip last year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Look, I'm a coach. The single greatest piece of advice can be applied to anything. Never stop listening and learning. Because even if what you learn is something you will never use, it's one less thing that you could do wrong.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Aquaman wants to bring in one of the biggest sports athletes in the world to simply talk to the guys about health, sports science and fitness. Aquaman also agree's to donate money to a chairty for his time...and somehow that's a negative?

Some of you need to give your heads a shake or start cheering for another team. The wicked negativity thrown around about EVERYTHING is sickening. I fully agree with constructive criticism and discussing weaknesses with the team but in the past 3-4 years it's just BS after BS after BS, negative negative negative. Give it a rest, the guy was trying to do something positive.

/rant

Tom Brady is one of the most successful athletes of this generation, if our owner can arrange a few minutes for him to talk to the team I think that's fine.

And yes, this happens in other sports. Frankie Edgar did something similar in front of the the NY Jets a couple years back, and he's nowhere near the level of Brady.

Last edited by a moderator:

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Look, I'm a coach. The single greatest piece of advice can be applied to anything. Never stop listening and learning. Because even if what you learn is something you will never use, it's one less thing that you could do wrong.

Didn't know we had a professional coach here, this is very helpful.

I'm kidding, before you get so offended per usual.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Honestly, I don't see a big issue. The thing that pisses me off the most is that, IMO, this means Aqua has a big voice in what goes on regarding hockey decisions. Not a fan of that at all.

Also, I lol'd at him basically fanboying at Brady with the dinner comments early on.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010

Have you coached a team where your top players are getting paid over $5 million a year?

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
I don't really have an issue at all with Brady meeting some players on the team. I think the tone of his email -- like he was lecturing schoolchildren on making sure they were ready to learn -- is galling. It just seems typical of his level of micromanagement. He's a wannabe Jerry Jones/Make Cuban, without Cuban's ability to actually get things done.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
I don't really have an issue at all with Brady meeting some players on the team. I think the tone of his email -- like he was lecturing schoolchildren on making sure they were ready to learn -- is galling. It just seems typical of his level of micromanagement. He's a wannabe Jerry Jones/Make Cuban, without Cuban's ability to actually get things done.

This precisely.

TheWolf*

May 3, 2015
This precisely.

Seems like yet another ridiculous thing for the boys in the forum to get all up in arms about.

The tone of an email he sent in private to Tom Brady is now being critiqued. Wow. What next?

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012

I guess it really is true, we read into things what we want. :dunno:

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Seems like yet another ridiculous thing for the boys in the forum to get all up in arms about.

The tone of an email he sent in private to Tom Brady is now being critiqued. Wow. What next?

Maybe if you'd come to this forum ready to learn from your peers, instead of being so defensive, you would have learned a thing or two ;)

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Aquaman wants to bring in one of the biggest sports athletes in the world to simply talk to the guys about health, sports science and fitness. Aquaman also agree's to donate money to a chairty for his time...and somehow that's a negative?
Read the exchange. The players were an afterthought or an excuse at best -- he wanted to do it without them. He basically made a donation to hang out with Tom Brady for 2 hours.

I assume the core leadership group that attended were Dorsett, Vey and Sbisa. :sarcasm:

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010

It's about as ridiculous as talking to anonymous strangers about hockey on the internet.

What's next? Probably another poorly thought out management decision by Benning and Weisbrod.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
i'm with you jammyrft....

it's too bad other posters can't see the positives of such a great networking opportunity.

sure, the sports are different and conditioning is probably different, but i'd leap at the chance to have a sit down with tom brady because who knows what it might bring me in the future.

i'm really impressed francesco has brady's personal email and can set up a dinner so easily. i'm also impressed brady squeezed a donation out of it. two perfect examples of how people can help each other through networking.

i don't expect everyone to understand this because they probably don't have to do it in their everyday lives.

i do, so i appreciate stories like this.

treated like schoolchildren...LOL. it's called life and how to get ahead. try it sometime.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Aquilini has been one of the most generous Canuck owners of all time. Maxes out the salary cap if necessary. Allows Gillis to spend 3x the budget to upgrade facilities. Spends money on 'sport science research', Sports psychologists. It's night and day with Orca bay.

When times were good? John McCaw was actually very generous until the tens of millions of dollars he kept losing started taking a toll. Similarly there have been reports of Aquilini tightening up the purse strings lately.

arsmaster*

You could tell even Brady didn't see the value in it by the tone of the emails. Surprised this "story" has it's own thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad