Proposal: Fowler, Trouba, or other

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Wonder if ANA is feeling any pressure to get the Lindholm situation resolved? Lost last night to NJ and they are the only winless team that has played 4 games already. Maybe not though because the Ducks were awful last year early on and were able to recover just fine.

WPG is 1-2 through three games without Trouba.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Wonder if ANA is feeling any pressure to get the Lindholm situation resolved? Lost last night to NJ and they are the only winless team that has played 4 games already. Maybe not though because the Ducks were awful last year early on and were able to recover just fine.

Ducks started 1-7-2 last year and that was scoring 6 goals in 9 of those games. The Pacific still looks pretty bad.

Winnepeg is probably seeing this as a development year with all the youth they have. They lost Little real early too.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Ducks started 1-7-2 last year and that was scoring 6 goals in 9 of those games. The Pacific still looks pretty bad.

Winnepeg is probably seeing this as a development year with all the youth they have. They lost Little real early too.

while the Ducks started off poorly last year as well yet made the playoffs, not at all a good recipe to follow this season. Not having Lindholm hurts, hurts real bad and something has to give soon on that situation

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

All the reports I've read, if taken at face-value, is Chevy has the complete support of ownership to wait this thing out until another team meets their price on Trouba, regardless of the performance (or lack thereof) of the current group.

Will ownership be singing the same tune on Nov. 30 and Winnipeg is in the basement staring at another season without a playoff game?

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Let's hope that the Jets don't take off at the start of this year and Chevy is a grounded in his thinking of what Trouba is worth.
Right now he is talking big about letting Trouba sit, but in a month he will be sweating and needing to make a trade. Trouba's value continues to drop the longer he sits.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Trouba a bit overrated I think. Oozes potential but thus far hasn't lived up to the hype in my opinion. Is he really worth what Chevy is asking? Obviously rival GM's don't think so. A young RH shot dman drafted where he was would be scooped up by now, no?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Trouba a bit overrated I think. Oozes potential but thus far hasn't lived up to the hype in my opinion. Is he really worth what Chevy is asking? Obviously rival GM's don't think so. A young RH shot dman drafted where he was would be scooped up by now, no?

Well he's asking for other teams left-handed version of Jacob Trouba in terms of age and caliber.

As on NHL Exec told Friedman, who the heck would make that deal?

Personally I think Chevy's expectations are over the top for a player with no contract demanding a trade.

But hey if Winnipeg ownership are prepared to risk another season of no playoff revenue by letting Trouba sit out the entire season, more power to them I guess.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

he is worth what they are asking... yes... but can anyone pay it?

the list of young lh shot dmen that qualify as being comparable... is extremely short. most of the guys that qualify are either untradeable themselves or still on cheap contracts.

cap space is almost non-existient on half the teams in the league... so even after you make a move for trouba, theres still a problem to sign him.

if trouba lowers his asking price on a contract from a new team he will definitely be dealt. in the meantime theres only a handful of teams that could afford to sign him to the monster contract and none of them have a young lh shot dman to put into the deal.

we are the closest with krug... and krug has a huge contract too so it would clear up enough cap space to sign trouba. so either we don't want to move krug, or we don't want trouba, or they don't want krug.

if anything... I think trouba is underrated based on a lot of the posts I see. I'm not sure he would immediately be a dominant top pairing guy but he is at least a passable one. he has alreay been getting first pair icetime at even strength with Winnipeg.

if I'm reading behind the lines of trouba... his concern is he isn't getting the big money offer from the team. the reason why... no offense numbers. on Winnipeg hes trapped behind byfuglin and myers when it comes to offensive zone starts and pp time. they are the favored children and both are long term contacts.

even if trouba were to sign a bridge deal in Winnipeg, he still doesn't believe he will get time on the pp there. he still thinks he will not be able to get the big contract on the new team.

when a guy is denied the chance to put up points... it costs him millions of dollars.

to me, this is a close example to boychuck here in boston. I think trouba and boychuk are similar types of players except trouba has more raw skill. when boychuk didn't get pp time, he couldn't produce points. once in NY he got some time on the pp and with the Tavares line and suddenly produced enough points to get himself a 6 million dollar contract

honestly id have a hard time going much higher than 6 mill for trouba at this point. I'm not sure Winnipeg has let other teams talk to trouba yet. probably not... but trading for him when you don't know his contract demands would be very risky.

if Winnipeg doesn't feel any need to hurry... then they probably aren't willing to let teams talk to trouba... and combind with no one having the lh shot dman that Winnipeg is supposedly looking for, this makes the whole deal difficult.

there is precedence in the past... teams that let players sit out an entire season to send a message. Winnipeg might need to do this as a warning to other rfa in the future. its a tough pill to swallow, but it might be prudent on their part to establish the precedence

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
he is worth what they are asking... yes... but can anyone pay it?

the list of young lh shot dmen that qualify as being comparable... is extremely short. most of the guys that qualify are either untradeable themselves or still on cheap contracts.

cap space is almost non-existient on half the teams in the league... so even after you make a move for trouba, theres still a problem to sign him.

if trouba lowers his asking price on a contract from a new team he will definitely be dealt. in the meantime theres only a handful of teams that could afford to sign him to the monster contract and none of them have a young lh shot dman to put into the deal.

we are the closest with krug... and krug has a huge contract too so it would clear up enough cap space to sign trouba. so either we don't want to move krug, or we don't want trouba, or they don't want krug.

if anything... I think trouba is underrated based on a lot of the posts I see. I'm not sure he would immediately be a dominant top pairing guy but he is at least a passable one. he has alreay been getting first pair icetime at even strength with Winnipeg.

if I'm reading behind the lines of trouba... his concern is he isn't getting the big money offer from the team. the reason why... no offense numbers. on Winnipeg hes trapped behind byfuglin and myers when it comes to offensive zone starts and pp time. they are the favored children and both are long term contacts.

even if trouba were to sign a bridge deal in Winnipeg, he still doesn't believe he will get time on the pp there. he still thinks he will not be able to get the big contract on the new team.

when a guy is denied the chance to put up points... it costs him millions of dollars.

to me, this is a close example to boychuck here in boston. I think trouba and boychuk are similar types of players except trouba has more raw skill. when boychuk didn't get pp time, he couldn't produce points. once in NY he got some time on the pp and with the Tavares line and suddenly produced enough points to get himself a 6 million dollar contract

honestly id have a hard time going much higher than 6 mill for trouba at this point. I'm not sure Winnipeg has let other teams talk to trouba yet. probably not... but trading for him when you don't know his contract demands would be very risky.

if Winnipeg doesn't feel any need to hurry... then they probably aren't willing to let teams talk to trouba... and combind with no one having the lh shot dman that Winnipeg is supposedly looking for, this makes the whole deal difficult.

there is precedence in the past... teams that let players sit out an entire season to send a message. Winnipeg might need to do this as a warning to other rfa in the future. its a tough pill to swallow, but it might be prudent on their part to establish the precedence

I like your stuff AOR but as an RFA, any team can talk to Trouba and his agent. His agent has been talking to other teams, working to try and facilitate a solution to the situation that benefits all parties.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Very good Trouba trade idea (and also add some scoring)

To Jets: Torey Krug, Ryan Spooner, Colin Miller, Jimmy Hayes, 2017 1st

To Bruins: Jacob Trouba, Drew Stafford, Ben Chiarot, Brendan Lemieux

*Trouba sign and trade (5.5 million a year for 4 years)

Bruins roster (at 100 percent health)

Marchand Bergeron Pasta
Vatrano Krejci Backes
Stafford Heinen Czarnik
Beleksky Moore Acciari
Schaller Nash

Chara Carlo
Morrow Trouba
Liles K. Miller
O'gara Mcquaid

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Good for who? Most certainly not very good for the Bruins. I can't wait for Trouba to sign or be traded so the Krug for Trouba trades stop.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Very good Trouba trade idea (and also add some scoring)

To Jets: Torey Krug, Ryan Spooner, Colin Miller, Jimmy Hayes, 2017 1st

To Bruins: Jacob Trouba, Drew Stafford, Ben Chiarot, Brendan Lemieux

*Trouba sign and trade (5.5 million a year for 4 years)

Bruins roster (at 100 percent health)

Marchand Bergeron Pasta
Vatrano Krejci Backes
Stafford Heinen Czarnik
Beleksky Moore Acciari
Schaller Nash

Chara Carlo
Morrow Trouba
Liles K. Miller
O'gara Mcquaid

There should be no way that we are actively paying Kevan Miller or Adam McQuaid to be 7 or 8th defenseman. I'd say take out C.Miller and throw ONE of them into the deal... or hell, just throw one of them in there FOR NOTHING.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
There should be no way that we are actively paying Kevan Miller or Adam McQuaid to be 7 or 8th defenseman. I'd say take out C.Miller and throw ONE of them into the deal... or hell, just throw one of them in there FOR NOTHING.

Salary wont match then and they prob want less commitment

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

You need to keep one just for expansion requirements, even if one is traded and the other stays, regardless of what they make or if their in the press-box every night.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

Is a Tesla worth what they're asking? Is a Mercedes worth what they are asking?
Of course! But, if nobody has the cap money or and/or the players that Winnipeg wants it stops the conversation right there.
I love Krug, and I like Spooner and would gladly give them and a first rounder or two for Trouba but the problem is that between what Chevy is asking for and whatever it is that Trouba is looking for money-wise they've set the price so high that it makes it difficult for any team to make a deal IMO.
Trouba will have to be able to negotiate a contract, and Winnipeg will have to widen their requirements, be more open minded to what they would accept. Will they? It's probably going to take a month of losing for Chevy to loosen up his demands. If they have a great month or two all bets are off.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Maybe I just haven't watched Trouba enough? I just don't see it. I don't mean to bash the kid, but I just don't see "future stud dman". He looks ok to me. Mid pairing guy at the moment. Not great offensively, good defensively. Nothing special just yet. Certainly not worth Krug Spooner + a 1st. Maybe I'm wrong but nothing stands out to me about his game. To be quite honest I wouldn't trade Carlo for Trouba right now 1 for 1

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Maybe I just haven't watched Trouba enough? I just don't see it. I don't mean to bash the kid, but I just don't see "future stud dman". He looks ok to me. Mid pairing guy at the moment. Not great offensively, good defensively. Nothing special just yet. Certainly not worth Krug Spooner + a 1st. Maybe I'm wrong but nothing stands out to me about his game. To be quite honest I wouldn't trade Carlo for Trouba right now 1 for 1

I like Trouba, best case to me is he becomes a very solid No.2 guy.

And it's only early, but based on what we've seen of Carlo so far, and that you have Carlo for 3 seasons on an ELC, while you would have to give Trouba mucho dinero right off the bat, I think if given the choice in a straight up deal Trouba for Carlo, I'd keep Carlo.

A week from now I could easily change my stance on this.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I like Trouba, best case to me is he becomes a very solid No.2 guy.

And it's only early, but based on what we've seen of Carlo so far, and that you have Carlo for 3 seasons on an ELC, while you would have to give Trouba mucho dinero right off the bat, I think if given the choice in a straight up deal Trouba for Carlo, I'd keep Carlo.

A week from now I could easily change my stance on this.

This is where I am.

On the other hand, I would be more than happy to ship Spooner and a pick to ANA for Fowler, if it could be done.

Have Fowler play the right side with Chara (until he retires), then you can sign him and put him at LD going forward. If you bring Fowler in now, it allows you to move Carlo back a pair and play him with Krug.

I see Krug-Carlo as an outstanding 2nd pair.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
This is where I am.

On the other hand, I would be more than happy to ship Spooner and a pick to ANA for Fowler, if it could be done.

Have Fowler play the right side with Chara (until he retires), then you can sign him and put him at LD going forward. If you bring Fowler in now, it allows you to move Carlo back a pair and play him with Krug.

Honestly I don't want to break up the first pair.

And you play Fowler on his off side until his contract expires in 2 years.

When I look in 2 years I expect the top 2 RH D men to be McAvoy and Carlo. You are moving him to his off side to keep him away from Krug I suspect because you don't like that pairing. So who plays with McAvoy in 2 years? Is Fowler the right guy to play with him? Or do we have 2 #3 LH defenseman, but no one to pair with our future #1

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
This is where I am.

Same.

I'd possibly even include a bit more in the Spooner package if it meant getting it done. Maybe add in a NCAA prospect like a Bjork or Donato who are nice prospects but likely several years away from contributing.

Funny how the emergence of Carlo and the promise of McAvoy suddenly shifts priorities from RD like Shattenkirk and Trouba, to LD like Fowler, who in the short-term is a better fit contract wise, and long-term is a better fit as a LD.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

When I look in 2 years I expect the top 2 RH D men to be McAvoy and Carlo. You are moving him to his off side to keep him away from Krug I suspect because you don't like that pairing. So who plays with McAvoy in 2 years? Is Fowler the right guy to play with him? Or do we have 2 #3 LH defenseman, but no one to pair with our future #1

If they got Fowler I could see the Top 4 becoming kinda fluid.

We seen Krug play his off-side last night and looked OK doing it.

You could mix and match Chara-Fowler-Krug-Carlo depending on the situation.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I am not opposed to Fowler, but what I like about him is we might be able to get him at a discount price because Anaheim's GM has boxed himself into a corner. I don't have interest in paying full value for him

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

While I like Chara/Carlo, I think pairings of Z/Fowler and Krug/Carlo strengthens the Top 4 overall.

In two years I see:

Fowler/McAvoy
Krug Carlo

Also, if one/both of Zboril and Lauzon develop like Carlo seems to be doing, you can let Fowler walk and go with one of them:

Zboril/Lauzon, Krug, Carlo, McAvoy would be the Top 4 (in no particular order).

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

I think he is highly valuable player, he's just had an awfull partner to play with, who he has been carrying.

He's played 22mins per game, he can play physical game, he can skate and pass. I'd have no problems seeing him on Bostons top pairing.
The problem is Jets easily biggest need is a high end defensive defenseman, someone who replaces Enstrom, he only has this+ next year left on his contract.
With Trouba their core was pretty much set, if they trade him for something else than Trouba clone they'll be chasing someone like him for who knows how long.

I am not opposed to Fowler, but what I like about him is we might be able to get him at a discount price because Anaheim's GM has boxed himself into a corner. I don't have interest in paying full value for him

Fowler has been playing very well, Anaheim fans would hate to lose him rigth now.
He's been playing 23.30- 26.40min games this season, with 4 points in 5 games.
I definitely feel he's very underrated player around HF.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad