Proposal: Fowler, Trouba, or other

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Which would you prefer. Both Fowler and Trouba shoot lefty but it;s reported Trouba want to play RD. For myself I vote "other" but would be satisfied with Fowler.

Trouba is a RH shot... hence him wanting to play the right side.

I want Fowler, likely cheaper and wouldnt have to give up Pasta.

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
Trouba is a RH shot... hence him wanting to play the right side.

I want Fowler, likely cheaper and wouldnt have to give up Pasta.

I agree. For me, it's about having talent for the future on the right side (Colin, McAvoy, Carlo) and less on the left side. Trouba is probably the better player, but the cost at this point is prohibitive.

I think I would consider Shattenkirk first again based on cost.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
I agree. For me, it's about having talent for the future on the right side (Colin, McAvoy, Carlo) and less on the left side. Trouba is probably the better player, but the cost at this point is prohibitive.

I think I would consider Shattenkirk first again based on cost.

To me its basically wanting to trade Spooner for Fowler over Pasta+ for Trouba. The RH side has our two best D prospects on it already and I don't want to pay a prohibitive price.

I'd also do Spooner for Shattenkirk but I doubt thats an option.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
To me its basically wanting to trade Spooner for Fowler over Pasta+ for Trouba. The RH side has our two best D prospects on it already and I don't want to pay a prohibitive price.

I'd also do Spooner for Shattenkirk but I doubt thats an option.

It seems crazy to me that it's not an option (though it probably isn't at this point). St Louis can get a bonafide NHL player in return for Shattenkirk now, and utilize him all season, or hold on to Shattenkirk and get futures for him at the trade deadline. Seems like the STL GM is painting himself into a corner unnecessarily.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Which would you prefer. Both Fowler and Trouba shoot lefty but it;s reported Trouba want to play RD. For myself I vote "other" but would be satisfied with Fowler.

Trouba is a Bruins type to me and shoots right

Fowler is a stronger offensive player than defensive but not a seive

Trouba would be my choice but Boston has 2 of their best handful of prospects on that side so unless you think a meteor is hitting earth in the next 12-18 months I would pass

Fowler I've always liked but you have Krug and aren't paying Fowler to be a bottom pair so you ask yourself- with all those kids like Zboril & Lauzon and the others that shoot left and won't cost much for 3-5 years do you go after Fowler

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Shattenkirk is likely a one year rental as he's a UFA at year's end. Likely headed to the Metro Division. It would cost a bundle to re-up him.

BruinsFan1990

Mar 29, 2016
Winthrop, MA
WPG wants too much for Trouba imo. I'd be okay with getting Fowler or seeing what the youngsters can do first. I'm going into this season with great optimism lol.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Trouba is a Bruins type to me and shoots right

Fowler is a stronger offensive player than defensive but not a seive

Trouba would be my choice but Boston has 2 of their best handful of prospects on that side so unless you think a meteor is hitting earth in the next 12-18 months I would pass

Fowler I've always liked but you have Krug and aren't paying Fowler to be a bottom pair so you ask yourself- with all those kids like Zboril & Lauzon and the others that shoot left and won't cost much for 3-5 years do you go after Fowler

Who says you have to re-up Fowler in two years. I'd be more concerned long term if he was already signed to a big extension in the 6 million range.

Maybe him or Krug could move to the right side.

Zboril/Lauzon/O'Gara/etc. still have to prove they can play in the NHL.

I like planning ahead but this seems like a lot of micromanaging and over-thinking going into the acquisition of 1 mid-tier player (Fowler), who no team is going to have to sell the farm to acquire from a Ducks team fairly desperate to shed some money.

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
I'd prefer Trouba but I think the price for him may be a little high. I think Fowler may come cheaper since Anaheim is desperate to move salary to resign Lindholm. In the end I'd be very happy with either player as long as we don't pay out the derriere.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
Operating with a mentality based on an assumption of prospect success that disqualifies an option of improving now with proven talent is.....just really, really short-sighted.

Bearcrap

Jan 29, 2004
Pembroke
It seems crazy to me that it's not an option (though it probably isn't at this point). St Louis can get a bonafide NHL player in return for Shattenkirk now, and utilize him all season, or hold on to Shattenkirk and get futures for him at the trade deadline. Seems like the STL GM is painting himself into a corner unnecessarily.

So I guess that St. Louis should be trading Shattenkirk for Fowler or Trouba then.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
My options would be:
Trouba > Fowler > stay pat

If the Bruins believe Trouba is a 1st-pairing defenseman who can be an anchor on their 1st-pairing for a very long time, they should trade for him. I've been on the fence as to what I would offer for Trouba, but I think the Bruins should offer McAvoy+. Why do the Bruins do this? The Bruins' plan is to compete while retooling on the fly with the help of their prospects developing and filling in holes in the lineup when they are ready. Carlo may win a spot on the roster and if not, he could be back in Boston after playing some games in the AHL, Trouba would be that 1st-pairing RHD they've been looking a while for, and the left side consists of Chara and Krug. After Chara retires, we'll have to see if someone like Zboril, Lauzon, or Lindgren can fill that void, but a top 4 of Trouba, Krug, and Carlo moving forward is a good place to be in my opinion. Yes, I know it would be hard to trade McAvoy, I don't even want to, but trading an 18 year old future 1st-pairing defenseman for a 22 year old 1st-pairing defenseman helps the Bruins now and in the future.

For Fowler, the most I would offer is Spooner+. I don't think the plus would be too much, probably a Griffith-type prospect and maybe a mid-round pick. If we don't get Trouba or Fowler, it would hurt, but it won't be the end of the world in my opinion.

The last option, staying pat, is an option I don't think is ideal for some fans this season because everyone wants the Bruins to ice a competitive team, but in my opinion is a good option for the future of this team. The Bruins have McAvoy who can potentially make the jump next season, Carlo is NHL-ready/close to NHL-ready, O'Gara has shown that he can play, and Zboril, Lindgren, and Lauzon are developing nicely with their respective clubs. I don't think it would be a long wait, but it will require patience.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
I think Fowler is what this team needs, a guy to fill in the top 4 for the next two years. Maybe Chiller or Carlo can be that guy but expecting Chara to spend a little time injured Fowler seems like the safest option, assuming he isn't going to cost us much beyond what Boychuck got us when we traded him. I voted for one of debrusk/seny in the other thread with my preference being Senyshun, but I really don't want to get rid of any of our prospects, I simply believe we have a lot of forward prospects both about ready and coming up in the next few years, while our D is a couple of years behind, both on the team and prospect wise. I will say if Carlo can step up into a top 4 role by the end of the year and Chiller finds his comfort next to Chara than this is all for naught. Playing it safe Fowler or comparable would solidify our blue line as we transition from Chara and into the next generation.

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
Fowler and Trouba

To Boston: Fowler
To Anaheim: Vatrano, K. Miller, Bostons 1st 2017

To Boston: Trouba
To Winnipeg: Spooner, Krug, C. Miller

Our D lines:
Fowler - Trouba
Chara - Carlo
Morrow - McQuaid
7th Liles, O'Gara

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
To Boston: Fowler
To Anaheim: Vatrano, K. Miller, Bostons 1st 2017

To Boston: Trouba
To Winnipeg: Spooner, Krug, C. Miller

Our D lines:
Fowler - Trouba
Chara - Carlo
Morrow - McQuaid
7th Liles, O'Gara

anaheim isnt looking for a 2.5 mill salary coming back...

other than that im tempted to give your plan the thumbs up

it probably doesnt improve us this year, but it does set us up nicely for several years if fowler will resign

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Choice 1 - Acquire Fowler for the right price (preferably 1st and 2nd rd picks and mid-tier NCAA prospects). Don't sign Ehrhoff, trade McQuaid for whatever you can get.

Choice 2 - Sign Ehrhoff, trade McQuaid for whatever you can get, stand pat and see how it shakes out.

Choice 3 - Overpay to get Trouba, don't sign Ehrhoff unless a young D like Carlo/O'Gara/Colin Miller is going back the other way, trade McQuaid for whatever you can get.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Choice 1 - Acquire Fowler for the right price (preferably 1st and 2nd rd picks and mid-tier NCAA prospects). Don't sign Ehrhoff, trade McQuaid for whatever you can get.

Choice 2 - Sign Ehrhoff, trade McQuaid for whatever you can get, stand pat and see how it shakes out.

Choice 3 - Overpay to get Trouba, don't sign Ehrhoff unless a young D like Carlo/O'Gara/Colin Miller is going back the other way, trade McQuaid for whatever you can get.

I think Carlo makes 2 a real possibility. 1 if it looks like a good deal. No to 3.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I think Carlo makes 2 a real possibility. 1 if it looks like a good deal. No to 3.

I should note Choice 3 is a distant 3rd. I like Trouba but he's been severely overvalued by many parties, management and fans alike.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad