Confirmed with Link: Four Rangers filed for salary arbitration(Confirmed hearing dates)

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
If the team walks away from the arbitrators decision, the player is now a UFA, correct?

What would it take for the Rangers to walk away from McIlrath? Six years of investment into this kid finally pays off last season when the coach uses him correctly.

If the Rangers walk away, I wouldn't be surprised if Florida steps in.

I can't imagine Mcilrath gets awarded much more than 1 mil and I can't imagine the Rangers walking away from him regardless of what he's rewarded if it goes that far. No way the organization has given up on him like many here have.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I think under this CBA you need to be awarded more than 3.5m for the team to be able to walk away. That's why a ton or Arbitration eligible players were not qualified but subsequently signed to a lower number (see beau Bennett). I can't see Dylan getting awarded anything over 800k. I'm sure the Rangers will take the two year option there and have him signed for cheap.

This, teams can not walk away from awards unless the award is for over ~3.5M, (~ because it goes up a little every year)

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
I think under this CBA you need to be awarded more than 3.5m for the team to be able to walk away. That's why a ton or Arbitration eligible players were not qualified but subsequently signed to a lower number (see beau Bennett). I can't see Dylan getting awarded anything over 800k. I'm sure the Rangers will take the two year option there and have him signed for cheap.

Dylan at 800k( an honest and very reasonable number) is a good gamble and I'd attempt to lock that up for 2 years. His upside is shut down defensive defenseman and if that materializes than you got a great bargain.

My cut off for him is a million. More Thant that and I walk away!

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Teams can not walk away from awards that are under ~3.5M

I'm not entirely sure why McIlrath even elected to take the team to arbitration? It's difficult for me to believe he can find comparable RFA contracts that contains more than, or close to what his qualifying offer is anyway.

Finding a player(s) who only have 37 NHL games played with a large RFA contract?

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I think this is mostly cover your bases agent/gm stuff. It is unlikely that the 4 of them reach arbitration. Hopefully none of them reach arbitration. Its been years since we had a guy actually go to arbitration.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Teams can not walk away from awards that are under ~3.5M

I'm not entirely sure why McIlrath even elected to take the team to arbitration? It's difficult for me to believe he can find comparable RFA contracts that contains more than, or close to what his qualifying offer is anyway.

Finding a player(s) who only have 37 NHL games played with a large RFA contract?

I'm sure it's what his agent advised him to do, so they must have a reason. Maybe they just want to make sure it gets done quick.

Since McIlrath elected arbitration, the Rangers get to choose (in their briefing to the arbitrator) whether the award will be for 1 or 2 years. If I'm the Rangers, I take him to arbitration and elect 2 years.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I'm sure it's what his agent advised him to do, so they must have a reason. Maybe they just want to make sure it gets done quick.

Since McIlrath elected arbitration, the Rangers get to choose (in their briefing to the arbitrator) whether the award will be for 1 or 2 years. If I'm the Rangers, I take him to arbitration and elect 2 years.

McIlrath is interesting

His qualifier would be 660K if he signed it, it would be a one year deal.

I see some players similar who have more like a 700k cap hit here and there but I just have a difficult time finding them to be all that comparable once I compare the actual NHL games played to this point.

If they tried to demote him to the AHL he'd likely get picked up off waivers anyway so I'm not sure his AHL salary would have anything to do with it.

Other than him taking the team rather than the team taking him I just can't figure it out.

Maybe he figured the team would not take him, but even then he'd still be able just to sign the qualifier.

If he asked for something like 1M at arbitration, and the team came back with League min, I have to think an arbitrator would side much closer to the team, maybe even below his qualifier.

Basically I feel as if I am missing something.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
McIlrath is interesting

I see some players similar who have more like a 700k cap hit here and there but I just have a difficult time finding them to be all that comparable once I compare the actual NHL games played to this point.

If they tried to demote him to the AHL he'd likely get picked up off waivers anyway so I'm not sure his AHL salary would have anything to do with it.

Other than him taking the team rather than the team taking him I just can't figure it out.

Maybe he figured the team would not take him, but even then he'd still be able just to sign the qualifier.

If he asked for something like 1M at arbitration, and the team came back with League min, I have to think an arbitrator would side much closer to the team, maybe even below his qualifier.

I think it's actually pretty simple, he wants to be a full time NHL player and at the least make NHL d-man money. Why should he settle for even $100k less when your window to cash in is so small, also NYC isn't exactly cheap to live in. The Rangers are trying to save $ everywhere, understandably too. $750-850k if a fair range for him. I guess we'll find out if he's seeking something in the $1m range though if it goes to arbitration.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I think it's actually pretty simple, he wants to be a full time NHL player and at the least make NHL d-man money. Why should he settle for even $100k less when your window to cash in is so small, also NYC isn't exactly cheap to live in. The Rangers are trying to save $ everywhere, understandably too. $750-850k if a fair range for him. I guess we'll find out if he's seeking something in the $1m range though if it goes to arbitration.

I understand what his motivation would be, I don't understand him choosing this vehicle to get him that. Arbitration has no mechanism in this case to give him what he wants, a large raise, as far as I can tell.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
I understand what his motivation would be, I don't understand him choosing this vehicle to get him that. Arbitration has no mechanism in this case to give him what he wants, a large raise, as far as I can tell.

To me it makes perfect sense and he'll at least be guaranteed some raise out of it, you either file for arbitration and meet somewhere in the middle or choose not to excercise that option and pretty much be forced to take the lowball offer from the team or don't play next season.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
McIlrath is interesting

His QO was probably a 2-way, so he may be hoping to use arbitration to get a 1-way deal. That's pretty much all I can come up with.

I'd be surprised if the Rangers don't give him a 1-way deal though. There's really no reason not to, since he's waiver eligible. We'll trade him before we send him to the AHL.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
To me it makes perfect sense and he'll at least be guaranteed some raise out of it, you either file for arbitration and meet somewhere in the middle or choose not to excercise that option and pretty much be forced to take the lowball offer from the team or don't play next season.

Arbitration does not guarantee a raise.

He already was qualified at 660K NHL

As far as I have seen, that is actually pretty average if not high for players in his position, coming off the entry level contracts, who have only played in 37-40 NHL games in their career to that point.

I am not saying this goes to arbitration, in fact doubtful, I just don't see how he could possible "win" a raise above that 660K if it did, so I don't understand the motivation unless he and the team just decided to go this way so people are not asking why he has not signed yet, or are worried he would not, or whatever.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
His QO was probably a 2-way, so he may be hoping to use arbitration to get a 1-way deal. That's pretty much all I can come up with.

I'd be surprised if the Rangers don't give him a 1-way deal though. There's really no reason not to, since he's waiver eligible. We'll trade him before we send him to the AHL.

I think you and I are on the same page, it just seems to me like if he wanted the best deal possible without the threat of actually going through the process, where the Rangers may actually win an award of less than his qualifier, he'd just sign his qualifier.

I guess it's possible he and the team already figured something out and are just using this process to avoid questions about what would be ongoing had he not elected.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
I think you and I are on the same page, it just seems to me like if he wanted the best deal possible without the threat of actually going through the process, where the Rangers may actually win an award of less than his qualifier, he'd just sign his qualifier.

I guess it's possible he and the team already figured something out and are just using this process to avoid questions about what would be ongoing had he not elected.
Keep in mind that not going to arbitration and team hypothetically not wanting to go higher than Qo would put him in limbo, meaning no deal and a hold out. Either sign or don't play at all.

He could get a higher award than Qo or the Rangers walk and he's free to sign elsewhere.

Considering he mostly played well and got sat for really no reason, he might as well be ok with a change if it came to that.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
As far as I have seen, that is actually pretty average if not high for players in his position, coming off the entry level contracts, who have only played in 37-40 NHL games in their career to that point.

He's not coming off his ELC though, which makes it even less in his favor.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I said on page one that I didn't uunderstand why McIlrath would elect arbitration and I still don't.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
I said on page one that I didn't uunderstand why McIlrath would elect arbitration and I still don't.
Why not ask for more $ than a lame $660k when he knows he's better than teammates making $5.5m. If they don't want to pay up, he can resume his career with another that will actually give him a chance. He already gave the team the home discount last year.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Why not ask for more $ than a lame $660k when he knows he's better than teammates making $5.5m. If they don't want to pay up, he can resume his career with another that will actually give him a chance. He already gave the team the home discount last year.

The arbitrator won't give him anything remotely close to 5.5 per year. What Girardi makes has zero bearing on what McIlrath will get.

The Rangers can't walk away if the award is less than 3.5 mil, and it absolutely, positively, without a doubt will be below 3.5 mil, so there is no chance McIlrath going elsewhere unless he is traded.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
The arbitrator won't give him anything remotely close to 5.5 per year. What Girardi makes has zero bearing on what McIlrath will get.

The Rangers can't walk away if the award is less than 3.5 mil, and it absolutely, positively, without a doubt will be below 3.5 mil, so there is no chance McIlrath going elsewhere unless he is traded.
I am not sure where you got the idea McIlrath will be asking for $5.5m. But if I was looking for a raise and someone above me made 8 times more but was terrible at his job, I would look to get a better deal than $660k. He already took a discount last year to come back.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I am not sure where you got the idea McIlrath will be asking for $5.5m. But if I was looking for a raise and someone above me made 8 times more but was terrible at his job, I would look to get a better deal than $660k. He already took a discount last year to come back.

The arbitration award is based on comparable players by age, contract status, games played, etc. Girardi has nothing to do with anything.

Who will McIlrath use as a comparable to command more than his QO?

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
The arbitration award is based on comparable players by age, contract status, games played, etc. Girardi has nothing to do with anything.
Yes I think everyone completely understands that. What is so hard to understand that $660k is a lame offer and wanting more? And there are many reason's listed above why McIlrath thinks $660k is a lame offer from a team he might not have a place on thanks to his coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad