Confirmed with Link: Four Rangers filed for salary arbitration(Confirmed hearing dates)

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
If I were Hrivik, I'd be angling for a 1-way contract. Insurance against him not making the roster, so even if he's sent down to the AHL he still makes that money. Though it seems like he's ready for 4th line or 13th forward responsibilities so maybe he's more concerned with getting NHL playing time.

Even if not a 1-way deal, he can negotiate a better AHL salary.
i believe the QO comes with a set, low AHL salary.
Recall that Summers is getting about $300k at ahl level. 1/2 of that probably well exceeds the AHL amount of the QO.

I exoect that, like Jensen and Bodie, Hrivik deal will only be for 1 year. Hughes, too.

After that, if dont break thru, its AHL deals or Europe.
Ol' pal Ryan Bourque signed AHL deal (elsewhere) this week

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I get all that and I get why te players want it but, in a sense, if the RFA's were not bound by salary arbitration, teams would be able to bid for their services just like UFA's and any RFA would likely make out better. My understanding is this system has only existed since 2005 and, in all honesty, if I were a 26 year old NHL player-- UFA's don't start till 27, I'd be confused about why and arbitrary number dictates that I must go through this convoluted process.

We've drifted a bit from the thread's objective but I've always been interested in this if detente between RFA's and UFA's.

I agree, it's an interesting study in labor and economics.

The entire RFA system is really only intended to help lower-budget teams retain their young talent for more than just three years. Arbitration is one of the two protections RFAs have against being low-balled by the team that holds their rights (the other being offer sheets). I actually like the system as a whole, but do think UFA age should be lowered (say, 25) because today players as a whole are breaking into the league much younger than they used to and peak well before 27.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Recall that Summers is getting about $300k at ahl level. 1/2 of that probably well exceeds the AHL amount of the QO.

I exoect that, like Jensen and Bodie, Hrivik deal will only be for 1 year. Hughes, too.

That was my idea as well,

His NHL qualifier is 632.5K but I do not know what the AHL portion is.

AHL (from cap friendly)
Summers 375K
Bodie 125K
Jensen 150K

Last year Hrivik 80K

If the AHL salary used the same 10% more rule for qualifiers as the NHL portion uses, than it's only 88K

I kind of have the feeling though if he does not make the NHL team, he probably wants out anyway, probably to another NHL team that may actually use him on their roster instead of adding a Paille.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
Then the QO is off the table, but the Rangers still hold his rights. Since neither side elected arbitration, he can be offer-sheeted, but no team is going to do that for Hrivik.

The Rangers will negotiate a deal with him or he'll decide to go back to Europe and play there.

Thank you. This is great!

emodwarf

Oct 12, 2009
Boston. Sucks.

Ah, thanks - good point about negotiating a better AHL salary even if it's a 2-way contract. According to cap friendly, his AHL salary this past season was 80k.

Based on reports of his Wolfpack play and his cup of coffee, I figure he's banging on the door for more NHL playing time. Whether it's with the Rangers or not, we'll see. He could go back to Europe for more money than even a more than modest raise in AHL salary, which is why I figured the Rangers could offer him significantly more AHL money as a way to minimize that flight risk while still keeping that NHL ice time door open.

But if his main goal is NHL playing time, I think the current state of the 4th line is a good sign. Especially if Gorton trades away Glass, which is unlikely but one can hope.

JHS

Oct 11, 2013

The entire RFA system is really only intended to help lower-budget teams retain their young talent for more than just three years. Arbitration is one of the two protections RFAs have against being low-balled by the team that holds their rights (the other being offer sheets). I actually like the system as a whole, but do think UFA age should be lowered (say, 25) because today players as a whole are breaking into the league much younger than they used to and peak well before 27.

Good point. I agree lowering the age has to happen and is gurantee it will for the next CBA. 27 is only about 8 years from the end of a players career.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Does anyone know when the schedule for arbitration hearing dates will be released?

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

The rule is 7 years or age 27. Players who break into the league at age 18 are UFAs at age 25. It is rare that any player actually reaches UFA status at age 25 simply because teams avoid giving out contracts that end when RFA status ends. That's why Kreider won't get a 2 year deal, and neither Hayes, Miller nor McIlrath will get a 3 year deal.

Considering that the age for UFA used to be 31, I think the current rule works fine.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The rule is 7 years or age 27. Players who break into the league at age 18 are UFAs at age 25. It is rare that any player actually reaches UFA status at age 25 simply because teams avoid giving out contracts that end when RFA status ends. That's why Kreider won't get a 2 year deal, and neither Hayes, Miller nor McIlrath will get a 3 year deal.

Considering that the age for UFA used to be 31, I think the current rule works fine.

Plus, I hate the idea of someone spending 4 years in college, signing with the team that drafted him, and becoming a UFA 3 years later.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
I guess it's good Kreider goes first of the big 3, if any of them go to hearings/ 11th hour negotiations, so we're not negotiating with Hayes and Miller with the uncertainty of what impact Kreiders contract will have on our cap situation.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
If the team walks away from the arbitrators decision, the player is now a UFA, correct?

What would it take for the Rangers to walk away from McIlrath? Six years of investment into this kid finally pays off last season when the coach uses him correctly.

If the Rangers walk away, I wouldn't be surprised if Florida steps in.

Richter35

Oct 30, 2006
If the team walks away from the arbitrators decision, the player is now a UFA, correct?

What would it take for the Rangers to walk away from McIlrath? Six years of investment into this kid finally pays off last season when the coach uses him correctly.

If the Rangers walk away, I wouldn't be surprised if Florida steps in.

I think under this CBA you need to be awarded more than 3.5m for the team to be able to walk away. That's why a ton or Arbitration eligible players were not qualified but subsequently signed to a lower number (see beau Bennett). I can't see Dylan getting awarded anything over 800k. I'm sure the Rangers will take the two year option there and have him signed for cheap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad