Confirmed with Link: Four Rangers filed for salary arbitration(Confirmed hearing dates)

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Curious to know what the Rangers offer and what McIlrath thinks he'll get in arbitration.

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
I got to be honest- I hate the way the NHL handles RFA's. It's such a drawn out and legally complicated system. I wish it was simpler and RFA's were treated just like UFA's. I can't honestly believe the players like this insanely drawn out process either and if they could( see next CBA) they will probably want to see it go.

That being said, Rangers have got to re-sign JT, and Krieder and if there is money left Hayes.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I got to be honest- I hate the way the NHL handles RFA's. It's such a drawn out and legally complicated system. I wish it was simpler and RFA's were treated just like UFA's. I can't honestly believe the players like this insanely drawn out process either and if they could( see next CBA) they will probably want to see it go.

That being said, Rangers have got to re-sign JT, and Krieder and if there is money left Hayes.

its a long drawn out process cause the guys aren't signed by july 5th? what about the UFAs that won't sign till August or September?

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach

I can't envision a scenario where they don't resign all 4, it won't be about having money left for Hayes or Dylan.

This comes as no surprise, curious what each are looking for. Kreider will likely seek long term, Miller may as well and I think we would be smart to give him more than just a bridge. Hayes should be interesting.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
At the very least this is good news. Barring a sign and trade I'd expect these players all to be Rangers next season.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
No Hrivik is interesting. Wonder if they got a deal with him almost nailed down.

No leverage. A team would simply let him walk than go through the arbitration process. A hassle that no team would deal with just in terms of respect.

Make the NHL, Contribute, then lay a claim.

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
its a long drawn out process cause the guys aren't signed by july 5th? what about the UFAs that won't sign till August or September?

It's long and drawn out because the RFA's have to file for arbitration almost always and then go through the stress of what an arbitrator decides. That's not fair to them or the team.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
It's long and drawn out because the RFA's have to file for arbitration almost always and then go through the stress of what an arbitrator decides. That's not fair to them or the team.

Very few arbitration cases actually go to a hearing.

Arbitration is something the players want. It's negotiated in the CBA. The NHL can't just do away with it because they don't like it.

Last edited:

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
What happens with Hrivik since he didn't file? How does that work.

It's the same as for any non-arbitration eligible RFA. The Rangers retained his rights by offering him a Qualifying Offer prior to July 1st. I think he has until July 15th to sign it if it wants, but he doesn't have to. No doubt the Rangers are negotiating with him. He may trade less money for more years.

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
Very few arbitration cases actually go to a hearing.

Arbitration is something the players want. It's negotiated in the CBA. The NHL can't just do away with it because they don't like it.

I get all that and I get why te players want it but, in a sense, if the RFA's were not bound by salary arbitration, teams would be able to bid for their services just like UFA's and any RFA would likely make out better. My understanding is this system has only existed since 2005 and, in all honesty, if I were a 26 year old NHL player-- UFA's don't start till 27, I'd be confused about why and arbitrary number dictates that I must go through this convoluted process.

We've drifted a bit from the thread's objective but I've always been interested in this if detente between RFA's and UFA's.

Last edited:

emodwarf

Oct 12, 2009
Boston. Sucks.
It's the same as for any non-arbitration eligible RFA. The Rangers retained his rights by offering him a Qualifying Offer prior to July 1st. I think he has until July 15th to sign it if it wants, but he doesn't have to. No doubt the Rangers are negotiating with him. He may trade less money for more years.

If I were Hrivik, I'd be angling for a 1-way contract. Insurance against him not making the roster, so even if he's sent down to the AHL he still makes that money. Though it seems like he's ready for 4th line or 13th forward responsibilities so maybe he's more concerned with getting NHL playing time.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY

What if he doesn't sign or they don't come to agreement by the 15th?

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
What if he doesn't sign or they don't come to agreement by the 15th?

Then the QO is off the table, but the Rangers still hold his rights. Since neither side elected arbitration, he can be offer-sheeted, but no team is going to do that for Hrivik.

The Rangers will negotiate a deal with him or he'll decide to go back to Europe and play there.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
If I were Hrivik, I'd be angling for a 1-way contract. Insurance against him not making the roster, so even if he's sent down to the AHL he still makes that money. Though it seems like he's ready for 4th line or 13th forward responsibilities so maybe he's more concerned with getting NHL playing time.

He probably deserves a 1-way deal. He could easily go back to Europe and make more than AHL money. It's **** or get off the pot time for the Rangers as to whether or not they're going to give him a real shot in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad