Confirmed with Link: Four Rangers filed for salary arbitration(Confirmed hearing dates)

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Who will McIlrath use as a comparable to command more than his QO?

Jessiman?

giphy.gif

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yes I think everyone completely understands that. What is so hard to understand that $660k is a lame offer and wanting more? And there are many reason's listed above why McIlrath thinks $660k is a lame offer from a team he might not have a place on thanks to his coach.

Everyone understands wanting more. Everyone doesn't understand why he and his agent think he'll get more. That's the point here.

I don't get what's "lame" about the offer. It's his QO. It's not some number the Rangers came up with on their own.

Good luck to him. Of course he wants more. I just don't know that he'll get it through arbitration.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
660 is not 660 when 18% go into escrow and half is gone in taxes.

BooHoo, my heart bleeds. Most people with no education and no real world skills would be thrilled to earn the NHL minimum.

In any case, electing arbitration is actually the safer strategy--McIlrath will have an NHL contract signed well before training camp starts. And it might even be a better one than his qualifying offer.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Everyone understands wanting more. Everyone doesn't understand why he and his agent think he'll get more. That's the point here.

I don't get what's "lame" about the offer. It's his QO. It's not some number the Rangers came up with on their own.

Good luck to him. Of course he wants more. I just don't know that he'll get it through arbitration.

Honestly the only thing I can think of that even makes a bit of sense, he and the Rangers already have had talks and the basic terms of a contract is in place, but the Rangers or his party just are not there yet in terms of ready to do the details, so instead of the beat writers crucifying either or both sides in the media, this way it just looks like normal operating procedure and we don't have to read about how the Rangers are being bad cheap guys or that McIlrath does or does not deserve some hypothetical "sources have learned" possible contract.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Honestly the only thing I can think of that even makes a bit of sense, he and the Rangers already have had talks and the basic terms of a contract is in place, but the Rangers or his party just are not there yet in terms of ready to do the details, so instead of the beat writers crucifying either or both sides in the media, this way it just looks like normal operating procedure and we don't have to read about how the Rangers are being bad cheap guys or that McIlrath does or does not deserve some hypothetical "sources have learned" possible contract.

I think you nailed it in bold. I think it is probably much adu about nothing.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
It's the summer, I don't think there is anything wrong with trying to figure out why things happen or do not.

In this case it just seems like a "why not" move on the players part rather than one that has any barring on changing much of anything.

Normal operating procedure would also be defined, maybe even more so by him just signing the qualifying offer.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Much Ado About Nothing :P

Also, I agree. This is just normal operating procedure.

Did I spell it wrong? For some reason that is how I always thought it was spelled in the Shakespeare writing. Thanks for letting me know. :)

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Did I spell it wrong? For some reason that is how I always thought it was spelled in the Shakespeare writing. Thanks for letting me know. :)

Technically, I think it was originally written as "Adoe", but I wasn't alive back in the day when the original came out.

But it's been rewritten and a lot of places have it as just "Ado"

I've never seen "Adu" in any production/playbill/etc. Unless you were thinking of "Adieu," which is French for "goodbye"

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO

Remember that last year the Rangers didn't qualify him (was on $703k elc deal) and then signed him to the current lower one way $600k deal. They needed every bit of cap savings so you can say he took a discount to stay in the organization.

I can't imagine he's looking for anything more than $700-900k, at this time he is in the top 6 pending any other acquisitions. Nothing wrong with trying to make a little bit more, at least higher than the bubble players like Bodie, Graves, Paliotta, Summers etc.

I definitely believe the rangers purposefully keep these signings for the last minute, deal in place or not, the longer they hold off the more time they buy themselves with potential trades.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Remember that last year the Rangers didn't qualify him (was on $703k elc deal) and then signed him to the current lower one way $600k deal. They needed every bit of cap savings so you can say he took a discount to stay in the organization.

I can't imagine he's looking for anything more than $700-900k, at this time he is in the top 6 pending any other acquisitions. Nothing wrong with trying to make a little bit more, at least higher than the bubble players like Bodie, Graves, Paliotta, Summers etc.

I definitely believe the rangers purposefully keep these signings for the last minute, deal in place or not, the longer they hold off the more time they buy themselves with potential trades.

The Rangers did qualify Dylan. The QO was a two way offer. The Rangers signed him $600K one way. The Rangers keep these signings at the last minute because they are one of the few remaining clubs which don't hand out long term contracts like candy at Halloween. They always have arbitration cases and it's a process.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
The Rangers did qualify Dylan. The QO was a two way offer. The Rangers signed him $600K one way. The Rangers keep these signings at the last minute because they are one of the few remaining clubs which don't hand out long term contracts like candy at Halloween. They always have arbitration cases and it's a process.
So they did send him a qo but he did take a cut on one way deal.

on another note, they do historically sign guys last minute but they don't always have arbitration cases, last one was who Avery?

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
It's the summer, I don't think there is anything wrong with trying to figure out why things happen or do not.

In this case it just seems like a "why not" move on the players part rather than one that has any barring on changing much of anything.

Normal operating procedure would also be defined, maybe even more so by him just signing the qualifying offer.

This is a "why not" get the contract done by the end of July move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad