Speculation: Forsberg to the LEAFS

Joel Ward

Sep 24, 2012
Toronto
Cuz when I think leafs I think u know what they need... Not D or goaltending nope but another overpaid offensive forward.

Of all the guys that could be available this fan thinks another offensive forward is needed? Ekholm makes sense... Another forward? Why.

I don't know how Forsberg at $6M is overpaid. Also, the Leafs defense and goaltending have been relatively solid so far and I think the organization is as happy with its defense as they have been in the past decade (or more). I think there is a desire to add a forward due to injuries but also the relative top-heaviness of the forward group which even when healthy doesn't offer consistent contributions from the bottom six.

All this Forsberg speculation is originating from a tweet from a random Oilers fan who misquoted Friedman as saying the Leafs had made "multiple offers". In reality Friedman just briefly mentioned that Nashville had received an offer from an unspecified team in his podcast.

I've been a huge fan of Forsberg since his D-1 and lost my mind when he fell to the Caps at 10, and again a year later when he was dealt for he who shall not be named. If it wasn't for the impending expansion draft, I would be all for adding him as a Leafs fan but the high acquisition cost + the fact that it ensures Seattle gets Holl rather than Dermott/Kerfoot makes it too expensive in my opinion.

Reactions: BLNY

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Glancing at the trade board it seems they extended the roster size of Toronto to 80 players.

bh53

Sep 18, 2017
Victoria
What a terrible site. They think this is realistic:

TOR gets: LW Filip Forsberg with $2.5M retention (1.5 years, $3.5M cap hit).
NSH gets: 2021 first round pick, C Alex Kerfoot (2.5 years, $3.5M cap hit), RD Topi Niemela, RW Joey Anderson.

That would get you laughed off HFBoards.

If you go down farther into the article they discuss adding Haula or Granlund to this deal in case Leafs are giving up too much. Just hilarious

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I don't know how Forsberg at $6M is overpaid.

Completely agree. The injuries in recent seasons are a bit of a concern, but he's money for 30 plus goals per 82 games. That's on a team with a pretty rancid history of centers. On an uptempo team with a couple of good ones, who knows what he might do.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I imagine the Leafs send a first-rounder to Nashville a prospect and maybe small cap dump to land Forsberg.

Wouldn't be a bad landing spot for him though. Don't know Forsberg fits because he would be solid for a contending team but none of them seem to have the cap space, unless Nashville retains.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I imagine the Leafs send a first-rounder to Nashville a prospect and maybe small cap dump to land Forsberg.

Wouldn't be a bad landing spot for him though. Don't know Forsberg fits because he would be solid for a contending team but none of them seem to have the cap space, unless Nashville retains.
Considering how late the 1st will be, it better be a hell of a prospect if we're going to take a cap dump back AND retain.

Marmoset

Apr 4, 2015
GTA
This doesn't make any sense. It seems like a lateral move. You can make a case Forsberg is a little better, but is the difference a first round pick as some are suggesting? If the Leafs trade their first, it's to add a piece that will make a difference without subtracting another core piece at the same time, because that defeats the whole purpose. (For example, the Muzzin trade).

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Cuz when I think leafs I think u know what they need... Not D or goaltending nope but another overpaid offensive forward.

Of all the guys that could be available this fan thinks another offensive forward is needed? Ekholm makes sense... Another forward? Why.

I am not a Leaf fan but I think they have a pretty quality D group now. Anderson and Campbell is a good pair when healthy as well.

If they are adding a D it would be a 5/6 guy for injury depth come playoff time. As a Canadian I have been worried about what media would be like here if Leafs win the cup....I am concerned with this year.

NK94

Feb 5, 2019
Not really. Apart from having a true #1(which isn't available or affordable) their defense is solid. They could use an upgrade on bottom 6 forwards

They could use a consistent second line left winger too seeing as there's already been six different players in that spot. Not at the expense of Nylander, mind you.

Marner4Life

Feb 12, 2019

I would think Nylander would go the other way with a pick or young player. People will say this is a lateral move. No it’s not. Forsberg is good defensively and will throw a check and battle for the puck. Nylander well I know he won’t!

NK94

Feb 5, 2019
Why does everyone in Toronto have a hard on to get rid of Nylander?

Because they eat up everything idiots like Simmons say, believe that preconceived notions and the objective eye test trump facts and verifiable data, and are still upset he held out 2 seasons ago.

At 6.9M, he's an absolute bargain.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad