Speculation: Forsberg to the LEAFS

Stuart Little

Nov 13, 2019
there has been a lot circulating around the past few days and usually where there is smoke - there is fire

https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2021...ospects-of-a-filip-forsberg-trade-to-toronto/

It seems as though the Leafs really like Forsberg and the Preds really like Nylander

- would seem logical that these be the major chips in a deal?

Forsberg
Granlund (retention)

for

Nylander
prospect(s)/Pick(s)

????

or something larger/blockbuster like?

Forsberg
Granlund (retention)
Ekholm

for

Nylander
Engvall
Dermott
Liljegren
Amirov
????

Stuart Little

Nov 13, 2019
A) Nylander has more cost control over a longer period of time

B) it would be an opportunity for Nashville to also acquire additional prospects/picks in a "revamp" rather than a rebuild

C) they can make a trade to a team in a different conference (so the likelihood of Forsberg burning the Preds regularly or Nylander the leafs will be less likely)

D) change of scenery for both players would serve them well possibly

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
What a terrible site. They think this is realistic:

TOR gets: LW Filip Forsberg with $2.5M retention (1.5 years, $3.5M cap hit).
NSH gets: 2021 first round pick, C Alex Kerfoot (2.5 years, $3.5M cap hit), RD Topi Niemela, RW Joey Anderson.

That would get you laughed off HFBoards.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Forsberg's contract is up in a year and a half and he is going to want a hefty raise. In other words we replace Nylander with a player who will probably get around the same amount of points but at a much higher cost.

I'm all for trading Nylander if the deal is right but I'm not sure this it.

Reactions: hmc1987

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
If Leafs wanted anything from Nashville, I'd have to think it would be on the blue line.
Nope. We signed a top4 defeseman in Brodie and developed one in Holl. Leafs blueline is fine and if we're shopping it's middle six forward depth or an upgrade at 3c. We don't need to go big game hunting on the blueline any more.

Reactions: hmc1987

Stuart Little

Nov 13, 2019
Forsberg's contract is up in a year and a half and he is going to want a hefty raise. In other words we replace Nylander with a player who will probably get around the same amount of points but at a much higher cost.

I'm all for trading Nylander if the deal is right but I'm not sure this it.

I think from the leafs perspective they would want to solidify their 2nd and 3rd lines

Forsberg would be the ideal fit for Tavares wing - and would also allow Kerfoot to stay up as a winger

and would allow Granlund to assume/take on the 3rd line centre role - which would form a very formidable 3rd line in Mikheyev, Granlund and Simmonds (when he returns)

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Why are we getting a more expensive winger back in Nylander? and why are we moving Ekholm and Granlund only to get Amirov Liljegren and a bunch of randoms?

Is that really a rumor? or is this some random Toronto blog. The ask would be some combination of your best forward prospect your best defense prospect, a great young contributing piece with great upside and 2 1sts.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
I think from the leafs perspective they would want to solidify their 2nd and 3rd lines

Forsberg would be the ideal fit for Tavares wing - and would also allow Kerfoot to stay up as a winger

and would allow Granlund to assume/take on the 3rd line centre role - which would form a very formidable 3rd line in Mikheyev, Granlund and Simmonds (when he returns)

For a year and a half? Doubt they want to lose Nylander to a player that will most likely be gone on that time.

Reactions: LeafSteel

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
What a terrible site. They think this is realistic:

TOR gets: LW Filip Forsberg with $2.5M retention (1.5 years, $3.5M cap hit).
NSH gets: 2021 first round pick, C Alex Kerfoot (2.5 years, $3.5M cap hit), RD Topi Niemela, RW Joey Anderson.

That would get you laughed off HFBoards.

It's the same for all of these fan blogs.

"My favourite team lands a difference maker for stuff I found in the GM's cupholder in his car, I think this is a really good and fair deal!!"

Laughable. For Forsberg with that much retention, Nashville would want pieces that would hurt. 1st and Sandin bare minimum, IMO.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
I don't doubt they are interested in Forsberg but they wouldn't be trading Nylander for him. They are looking to add to the roster, not take away.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Cuz when I think leafs I think u know what they need... Not D or goaltending nope but another overpaid offensive forward.

Of all the guys that could be available this fan thinks another offensive forward is needed? Ekholm makes sense... Another forward? Why.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
It's the same for all of these fan blogs.

"My favourite team lands a difference maker for stuff I found in the GM's cupholder in his car, I think this is a really good and fair deal!!"

Laughable. For Forsberg with that much retention, Nashville would want pieces that would hurt. 1st and Sandin bare minimum, IMO.

1st. Sandin plus Nylander likely. Silly salary cap

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad