Confirmed with Link: Forsberg gets 1way/$775K

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I just don't understand this...both the award and why we would have let it come to this.

One-way probably means the Canes are shelling out $775k more than expected. Out of Reimer ($3.1 million in the AHL), Forsberg ($775k in the AHL), and Ned ($70k in the AHL) Ned might be the best backup option.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Simple, we felt he was only worth a two way deal and with Mrazek, Reimer, and Ned we felt no reason to give him a one way. And I'm in full agreement with that.
My point was that we should have avoided the risk of this result. Now we'll have to pay an NHL salary in the AHL AND he'll be tougher to move given his 1-way deal. Not sure that there was a negotiation to be had, but still this sucks for the cap.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
My point was that we should have avoided the risk of this result. Now we'll have to pay an NHL salary in the AHL AND he'll be tougher to move given his 1-way deal. Not sure that there was a negotiation to be had, but still this sucks for the cap.

It means nothing for the cap. If he's in the AHL, his entire salary is buried. This is all about cash out of Dundon's pocket.

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
congrats to Forsberg and Gerry Johansson are in order. they won an actual litigated fight. I'll be interested to hear if there are any actual bitter feelings following this process. Canes put on a face of "all business nothing personal" with the Ah'offre hostile, now is the time to put their money where their mouth is, with another fight with the same (very well established) agent.

Last edited:

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
No Waddell quote in the team’s official press release about Forsberg. Seems like they ain’t happy with the result...

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
What’s the rule on this? I thought you got some cap relief but not completely (see: Darling). Is it “relief up to $xxxx” and Forsberg’s salary is below $xxxx?

Solved it myself. From CapFriendly:

A19AAEF5-A86F-410B-AF56-A2A9A8241473.jpeg

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
What’s the rule on this? I thought you got some cap relief but not completely (see: Darling). Is it “relief up to $xxxx” and Forsberg’s salary is below $xxxx?
Million dollars is the limit, so we lose zero cap if he's sent down. He'll be this year's Mac/Pickard after camp anyway. In fact wouldn't surprise me if it's Toronto that snags him.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Nah, I don't think that this is a big deal. If Forsberg wins the #2 job out of camp, Reimer can clear waivers and be easily buried. If Reimer wins it, perhaps one of Toronto/Colorado/Columbus takes a shot at a waiver claim on Forsberg. I think that Forsling was the main piece in that CDH trade anyways, so if Forsberg surprises in camp, that'll just be a bonus.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

If Forsberg wanted a 1-way deal and Carolina wanted a 2-way deal, there's little they could have done to change this result. Try to split the difference and offer him a $350K or so guarantee on the 2-way or a higher AHL salary? Maybe, but that's still a big pay cut from his last 2 years of 1-way deal.

He went to arbitration trying to get a 1-way deal and won.

Will it make Forsberg harder to move? Maybe. It also makes him less likely to be picked up on waivers if he doesn't win the backup job.

It's not the result the Canes were hoping for, but they will figure it out. Even if that means an extra $500K-$600K in the budget for Charlotte for this year.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Somewhat interesting, although probably irrelevant, that a second buyout window is available to us starting in 48 hours. But since the player had to be on our reserve list at the trade deadline, I don't think it matters. Reimer would be the only candidate.

Reactions: DaveG

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
If Forsberg wanted a 1-way deal and Carolina wanted a 2-way deal, there's nothing they could have done to change this result. He went to arbitration trying to get a 1-way deal and won.

Will it make Forsberg harder to move? Maybe. It also makes him less likely to be picked up on waivers if he doesn't win the backup job.

It's not the result the Canes were hoping for, but they will figure it out. Even if that means an extra $500K-$600K in the budget for Charlotte for this year.

I think Dundon at this point has proven that he's not a cheapskate and is willing to spend on talent. They'll just accept this and use it for the best.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
If Forsberg wanted a 1-way deal and Carolina wanted a 2-way deal, there's nothing they could have done to change this result. He went to arbitration trying to get a 1-way deal and won.

Well, they *could* have come up with a guarantee that worked, essentially rendering 1-way vs. 2-way moot, but that wasn't happening in the Dundon v Johannson world.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Well, they *could* have come up with a guarantee that worked, essentially rendering 1-way vs. 2-way moot, but that wasn't happening in the Dundon v Johannson world.

Yes, I edited to "little they could have done" but I doubt Forsberg was interested in a pay cut from $800K to even $300K guaranteed like Carrick just got from SJ.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
as far as I'm concerned you can never have enough rolls of the dice when it comes to the goalie position. Its not an ideal price point, but he's in the fold, and that's good for us.

Between Mrazek, Reimer, Ned, and Forsberg we should be able to get a 2-deep behind our defense that helps us compete this year.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Yes, I edited to "little they could have done" but I doubt Forsberg was interested in a pay cut from $800K to even $300K guaranteed like Carrick just got from SJ.

Odd though. Arbitrators in the recent past have been in the business of basically slicing the team vs. player asks down the middle. In this case, doing that would be $800k, 2-way deal, with a ~$400k guarantee.

Forsberg won arbitration big time. Which, given he spent the entire year in Rockford last year, is probably an upset.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Damn, he had two year one-way contract previously. I kind of get the intuition that being a one-way is an "acquired benefit" that the Arbitrator didn't justify taking away.

No wonder he didn't sign the QO.

Reactions: Chrispy

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille