Confirmed with Link: Forsberg gets 1way/$775K

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
But hey, given this plus the Carrick news today, our 3 outstanding items are Saku, McKeown, and Williams. After that it's just whether we want to re-sign Faulk or make anymore splashes.

Reactions: DaveG

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Forsberg won arbitration big time. Which, given he spent the entire year in Rockford last year, is pretty surprising.

Well, the Canes were straight-up trying to pay the guy $70k, so it's not *that* surprising. We're making a big deal out of $770k, but it's really peanuts for a 26-year-old goalie with NHL experience.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Well, the Canes were straight-up trying to pay the guy $70k, so it's not *that* surprising.

My point is that typically no one "wins" arbitration. Most of the time it's split down the middle. But considering the real ask wasn't splitting $775k and $875k (or whatever), but instead $70k and $875k, Forsberg got way closer to his number.

Maybe it was just set up that way (@Lempo with a good point about having a one-way last year), but overall the Canes didn't get anything they wanted from this. A 2-way deal with a guarantee in the $300-500k range would've been right in the middle. Canes lost.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Oh damn, Forsberg is Johannson as well?

He better hope he gets claimed on waivers because he won't be seeing a minute of icetime in Charlotte until he fires his agent lol.

Either:
1) Both Aho AND Forsberg both switched from agent Mika Rautakallio to Gerry Johannsson
2) People aren't realizing that PuckPedia is not correct about Aho's agent (currently Gerry Johannson) who is listed as Forsberg's current agent Mika Rautakallio

I'd guess the 2nd as I can't find any news relating Forsberg and Johannson. Aho switched and PuckPedia never updated, hence confusion.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Either:
1) Both Aho AND Forsberg both switched from agent Mika Rautakallio to Gerry Johannsson
2) People aren't realizing that PuckPedia is not correct about Aho's agent (currently Gerry Johannson) who is listed as Forsberg's current agent Mika Rautakallio

I'd guess the 2nd as I can't find any news relating Forsberg and Johannson. Aho switched and PuckPedia never updated, hence confusion.

I don't think it ultimately matters whose name officially is there... Rautakallio is heavily associated with Johannson's TSC.

The Sports Corporation

Reactions: AndreiThreeK

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Forsberg really fell off. I remember cbus fans talking about how good he was gonna be. I wonder what happened with him.

Got figured out. Happened to a lot of goalies. The more you play, the heavier you get scouted. If a goalie has weaknesses, teams are gonna exploit them. Not from the beginning but they'll find out eventually.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
A67E4C01-91B1-4E8F-9720-AA8C185DB547.jpeg

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
That's a great deal for someone who might not even be the AHL starter.

But as for our budget, meh... we had to realize this was a pretty good possibility once we acquired him.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Arbitrator: "You WILL play in the NHL this year for the Canes."

I'm not sure he will. This deal certainly didn't improve his chances.
Waive him at the right time and he gets claimed. If it doesn't happen, he's gonna be very easy to move once in the AHL. This deal isn't a big deal for the Canes and I don't know why Forsberg even filed for arbitration. He had nothing to gain. Unless he gets claimed right away he's not gonna win anything. And even then he's probably nothing more than Pickard 2.0 filling in for injured guys. Sooner or later he's gonna get buried somewhere in the AHL again. His best bet was trying to win nr.2 with the Canes who traded for him. That door might be closed already.

Last edited:

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
just a weird piece of news and a strange way to start a relationship with a player you just traded for. apparently the reason a lot of teams don't want to go to arbitration is that the hearings are usually pretty brutal. why they chose this avenue makes no sense. trading for a player and then taking him to court to tell him how terrible he is in front of lawyers tasked with assigning his value seems like an interesting approach.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I never viewed Forsberg as a player the Canes traded for. To me, the Canes wanted to move de Hann’s salary. Forsberg, and to a lesser extent Forsling, were just pieces Chicago wanted to move out as part of that.

Will be surprised if Forsberg plays a single NHL game for Carolina.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
He got guaranteed $775K when he was looking at a sub $100k AHL deal. I hardly call that nothing to gain.

For one year. Cool. And for that he likely ruined a fair chance at becoming an NHL goaltender. If he fails to establish himself, you think anybody is gonna offer himself a contract next summer? This is his last chance. Guy has to make it work now or he's likely to remain an AHL journeyman or return to Sweden and play for one of the cashless SHL clubs.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
For one year. Cool. And for that he likely ruined a fair chance at becoming an NHL goaltender. If he fails to establish himself, you think anybody is gonna offer himself a contract next summer? This is his last chance. Guy has to make it work now or he's likely to remain an AHL journeyman or return to Sweden and play for one of the cashless SHL clubs.
This non-explanation of how Forsberg hurt himself by getting guaranteed NHL money reminds me of the Ruby Ridge court case.

Prosecution: [spends weeks examining witnesses and presenting evidence]
Defense: "The defense rests. The prosecution failed to prove the defendant guilty."

Verdict: Not guilty

Reactions: Chrispy

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

How did he ruin that chance?

He's the #3 goalie on the depth chart at best right now. That's the case whether he has a 1-way or 2-way contract.

Reimer and Mrazek have 1-way contracts, so Forsberg's 1-way contract has no bearing on Mrazek and Reimer being more likely to be in Raleigh at the season's start. That's based on the track records of all 3.

Forsberg is going to play most of the season in Charlotte barring a shocking camp for multiple goalies, a trade of Reimer, or injury. The only thing this changes for Forsberg is that he earns $775K instead of $75K for the season in Charlotte.

Next season, he will again try to get a 1-way deal which will be based largely on his play in Charlotte. He won't be more likely to get an NHL deal next year because he had a 2-way deal this year.

Reactions: DaveG

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Next season, he will again try to get a 1-way deal which will be based largely on his play in Charlotte. He won't be more likely to get an NHL deal next year because he had a 2-way deal this year.

He'll be UFA next time around. The contracting will be a different ball game.

Which is why Arbitration made full sense to him this year. It is effectively a bridge with one year contract being the only allowed option.

Reactions: Chrispy

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Such a mystifying arbitration award. It seems to treat the outlier season -- where he played with CHI for 35 games two years ago - as the rule and treated the rest of his career as the exception.
Playing almost a half of the games in NHL in one season probably perma-unlocked the one-way status for him. Other than that, he's very close to the league minimum.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad