IMG_8848.png

IMG_8849.png

• Haha
Reactions: PredsV82

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
So heard Poile on the radio this morning. Dunno if anyone else heard it but he said he has had conversations with Shea Weber over the last year and a half or so and basically said he wish he hadn't of traded him.

Basically he said he didn't really want too but it was a business decision which was a direct result of the offer sheet. He said obviously on the hockey side it worked out but I don't think Poile felt good about it.

Sounded like Poile and Weber have worked through a lot of the hurt feelings and are at a decent place.

The signal started breaking up a bit so I lost some of it, but I kind of got the sense Weber understood that he needed to take some blame in that whole situation and looking back now he wished he hadn't of done that deal. Business wise the contract has been good for him, but I get the sense that he realizes he probably could have made that money anyways so kind of doing the club dirty is something he would like to have back.

Also keep in mind it's slanted from Poile's perspective and not directly from Weber, but I think it's good for both that they have worked on that relationship.

beardawg

Feb 12, 2015
Washington, DC
So heard Poile on the radio this morning. Dunno if anyone else heard it but he said he has had conversations with Shea Weber over the last year and a half or so and basically said he wish he hadn't of traded him.

Basically he said he didn't really want too but it was a business decision which was a direct result of the offer sheet. He said obviously on the hockey side it worked out but I don't think Poile felt good about it.

Sounded like Poile and Weber have worked through a lot of the hurt feelings and are at a decent place.

The signal started breaking up a bit so I lost some of it, but I kind of got the sense Weber understood that he needed to take some blame in that whole situation and looking back now he wished he hadn't of done that deal. Business wise the contract has been good for him, but I get the sense that he realizes he probably could have made that money anyways so kind of doing the club dirty is something he would like to have back.

Also keep in mind it's slanted from Poile's perspective and not directly from Weber, but I think it's good for both that they have worked on that relationship.
I think almost all of us can agree with the sentiment. In a perfect world, Webs stays and retires a Pred. Fortunately it was almost a win/win/win for everyone. Can't discount what PK did while here

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I think almost all of us can agree with the sentiment. In a perfect world, Webs stays and retires a Pred. Fortunately it was almost a win/win/win for everyone. Can't discount what PK did while here
No from a hockey perspective I d say it worked out for everyone involved. On the relationship side it was less than desirable.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Financially, weber's megamillions bonuses had to put a strain on ownership. Seriously 13,000,0000 in bonus money on day 1 and then you make 6,000,000 in total in the last 4 years of your contract. It was structured in a very self serving way which he has every right to do. It is a business after all but it is going to cause all sorts of ripple effects.

Reactions: Preds Partisan

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Financially, weber's megamillions bonuses had to put a strain on ownership. Seriously 13,000,0000 in bonus money on day 1 and then you make 6,000,000 in total in the last 4 years of your contract. It was structured in a very self serving way which he has every right to do. It is a business after all but it is going to cause all sorts of ripple effects.
Well and the first couple of years were even worse, pretty sure the 2nd or 3rd year was a 25 million bonus.

I look back now and wouldn't have blamed the owners and Poile for letting him go and just taking the picks. Writing those checks at that time had to almost feel scary.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Weber signed that deal because it sounded to me like Poile wasn't offering that amount of term. He hinted that he wished they would've treated him like they did Rinne, Josi, and Forsberg in later years...so maybe it was a good learning experience for him.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Weber signed that deal because it sounded to me like Poile wasn't offering that amount of term. He hinted that he wished they would've treated him like they did Rinne, Josi, and Forsberg in later years...so maybe it was a good learning experience for him.
Well I think if the ownership situation had been in a different place he probably would have, but I just don't think Poile nor the owners were confident enough to take that risk. I mean they may not have been hanging by their fingertips, but they sure were still dusting themselves off after pulling themselves back up.

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Well I think if the ownership situation had been in a different place he probably would have, but I just don't think Poile nor the owners were confident enough to take that risk. I mean they may not have been hanging by their fingertips, but they sure were still dusting themselves off after pulling themselves back up.
No doubt. That was a tough spot to be. Hindsight is certainly 20/20 so it's easy to see how things could've been done differently now, but I suppose at the time getting out from under that deal for a really good player was a difficult while still good decision.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
There were murmurs the league was going to start cracking down on the excessive front-loading deals, which was another thing it was rumored he was wanting and that Poile/ownership weren't amenable to.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
There were murmurs the league was going to start cracking down on the excessive front-loading deals, which was another thing it was rumored he was wanting and that Poile/ownership weren't amenable to.
Yeah I seem to recall alot of those guys at that time were essentially racing to get one done before the change happened, which is one reason I think Poile was never worried about the Weber one coming back to get us. Poile was doing everything he could do not to give those out and still got stuck with one and Bettman knew that.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Well and the first couple of years were even worse, pretty sure the 2nd or 3rd year was a 25 million bonus.

I look back now and wouldn't have blamed the owners and Poile for letting him go and just taking the picks. Writing those checks at that time had to almost feel scary.
The most he made in a single year including his signing bonus was $14m.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
The most he made in a single year including his signing bonus was $14m.
Could have swore there was one year in there that was really big like that and then it started to tail off. Just seems like we discussed that after that it would be much easier for the owners to handle.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Weber wanted max money and the only way to get that was to find out what some other team was willing to pay. He used the system to maximize his compensation.

Now, had he done like Pekka and signed for say 8x8 with a full NMC the animosity would have been gone but he would have cost himself over 40 million dollars because he was done after 8 years. And the trade wouldn't have happened and who knows if 2017 and the subsequent big seasons would have happened.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Could have swore there was one year in there that was really big like that and then it started to tail off. Just seems like we discussed that after that it would be much easier for the owners to handle.
I think trigg has it right in that the highest amount in one lump was $14M, but I think you're right in that there was a year period (e.g.July to July) early on where he ended up getting paid something like $24M due to the structure of the contract/bonuses/payments. I remember a lot of other team fans making proposals for him because they thought the Preds couldn't afford to pay out that kind of money.in that short a timeframe.

Reactions: Armourboy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad