OT: Former Pred Talk

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Duchene playing for next years contract but seriously he was a 60ish point per 82 game pace with us. He still has lots of offensive flair.

Johansen on a 30 point pace for the season... same point pace as Jeannot.
Joey's most frequent line parters so far are Tatar and Drouin. We'll see what happens for their 3rd line now that Tatar is gone. He is t-3rd in PPG for the Avs and sits around 5th in g/60 at 5on5.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
29 points in 30 games for Dallas. Would be our number 2 in points if we didn’t buy him out… smh

Anyone who was for it still think it was a good move?

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
He is not expected to carry the scoring like he was here. And obviously Trotz had concerns about his leadership ability. Probably a wash at this point.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I still like him and enjoyed his time here. I think he'd be playing well if he was still here and it would be a help to the team overall. But I'm also not mad/sad that he's gone, as long as he's not dominating us when we play DAL then it's all good. Pretty much the same story with most ex-Preds.

We've got a lot of solid former players around the league right now who fit that bill such as Ekholm, Granlund, Fiala, Tolvanen, Jeannot, Ingram... i'd be happy with any of them on the roster still. Johansen is the only one who really needed something different and it sucks that he's not performing, he's a decent guy and teammate from what we've seen on our side.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I'm a bit surprised he's playing at a point per game pace but I figured he would do pretty well in Dallas. It was always a move with the eye towards the future versus the present. I still think it was the right move long term for the direction of this team even though maybe it would be beneficial to have Duchene in the short term.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Joey's most frequent line parters so far are Tatar and Drouin. We'll see what happens for their 3rd line now that Tatar is gone. He is t-3rd in PPG for the Avs and sits around 5th in g/60 at 5on5.

They may not be producing much, but their production makes Drouin and Johansen the 5th and 6th most offensively productive forwards on the Avs. Tatar was in the top 9. The Avs really don't have any balance with the top 4 guys (3 forwards + Makar) doing it all. Of course, their top players are clearly elite, and no one would expect anything less.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
It was definitely a good move. Trotz’s plan for the organization is to get them to a point two to three years from now where they can be a perennial contender and not just a flash in the pan every once in a while. Duchene, while being a good player, was filling a spot that guys like Tomasino, Parsinnen, and Evanglista are playing in now. If Duchene was still on the Preds roster, one of those guys aren’t getting the ice time they are getting this year to grow into the player Trotz needs them to be in 2,3or even 5 years down the road to be the backbone of the team and carry them into the future.

Would Duchene be helping the team make a playoff push this year, yep.
Would Duchene be making this team a perennial contender in 3-5 years from now, probably not.

Reactions: hido

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I think it was very likely that one or both of them to have a comeback year, but we needed both of them off the team for whatever reason, whether that be work ethic or locker room atmosphere. We're in a playoff spot so it's hard to argue with the results.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
It was definitely a good move. Trotz’s plan for the organization is to get them to a point two to three years from now where they can be a perennial contender and not just a flash in the pan every once in a while. Duchene, while being a good player, was filling a spot that guys like Tomasino, Parsinnen, and Evanglista are playing in now. If Duchene was still on the Preds roster, one of those guys aren’t getting the ice time they are getting this year to grow into the player Trotz needs them to be in 2,3or even 5 years down the road to be the backbone of the team and carry them into the future.

Would Duchene be helping the team make a playoff push this year, yep.
Would Duchene be making this team a perennial contender in 3-5 years from now, probably not.
Hypothetically we could have kept Duchene and not signed Nyquist. Hard to argue with the results from the top line though even with Duchene producing well.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
He was a 60-70 points player here as well. It was about whatever Trotz wanted to build here and i guess trotz couldnt find a favorable trade given duchene's contract (cap and term). Without a buyer, trotz just ripped the bandaid off and performed a buyout.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
It had nothing to do with production, there was something else to it than that. What that was we either won't know for several years or won't know at all. Keep in mind Trotz was around the team for several months before making the buyout for Duchene, so there was something there he didn't like.

Reactions: Preds Partisan

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
Still would have done it even if he was at 40 pts now. That wasn't the issue. Team needed a shakeup from the front office through the players.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
Trotz made the statement that he wanted players that wanted to come here to compete for a cup not come here to retire. That didn’t just come out of thin air, something or somebody was giving him that impression. The fact that Duchene’s massive contract was bought out to move on from him would lead some to believe that he was one of the somebodies that created that perception for Trotz.

Reactions: Armourboy

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
I guess it is just a tough pill when for years you see a team try and get good players to come to Nashville and they don't come. Then you see a player that is considered a pretty good player want to come to Nashville for a few years and finally gets here, yes he has 1 horrible season but also sets the season record for goals then gets bought out. The guy still has his house in Nashville so I guess he calls it home. Idk, it just makes you wonder why you would want to get rid of a good player that wants to be here.

I think it is more of BT sticking it in the eye of DP and basically saying HE is the boss now so he will decide who stays and who goes.

Lots of other guitar players in Nashville.
Yeah and many of them just fall by the wayside or are just wannabe's.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I guess it is just a tough pill when for years you see a team try and get good players to come to Nashville and they don't come. Then you see a player that is considered a pretty good player want to come to Nashville for a few years and finally gets here, yes he has 1 horrible season but also sets the season record for goals then gets bought out. The guy still has his house in Nashville so I guess he calls it home. Idk, it just makes you wonder why you would want to get rid of a good player that wants to be here.

I think it is more of BT sticking it in the eye of DP and basically saying HE is the boss now so he will decide who stays and who goes.

Yeah and many of them just fall by the wayside or are just wannabe's.
Poile had been trying to move him and RyJo both so I think you are barking up the wrong tree about Trotz trying to stick it to Poile.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Poile had been trying to move him and RyJo both so I think you are barking up the wrong tree about Trotz trying to stick it to Poile.
Had left them both exposed to Seattle as well. Yeah, I think that's barking up the wrong tree and I don't t see Trotz as the type to make moves just to "mark his territory." As he said, he wanted to push the team out of the "mushy middle" territory. We still may end up there in the standings but it's not the same dynamic, the team has a different mentality/energy/mindset/hunger to it. It doesn't feel the same as collect your fat paycheck, put up X points, get bounced in the first round, and "ok, enjoy the summer guys" rinse and repeat.

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
Had left them both exposed to Seattle as well. Yeah, I think that's barking up the wrong tree and I don't t see Trotz as the type to make moves just to "mark his territory." As he said, he wanted to push the team out of the "mushy middle" territory. We still may end up there in the standings but it's not the same dynamic, the team has a different mentality/energy/mindset/hunger to it. It doesn't feel the same as collect your fat paycheck, put up X points, get bounced in the first round, and "ok, enjoy the summer guys" rinse and repeat.
I think leaving them exposed to Seattle was as much Poile correctly assuming they wouldn't take them (so why waste a protection slot) as actually hoping to get rid of them. Not that it would've broken anyone's heart.

Personally I have no issue with the Joey deal at all. Works out better than a buyout and I don't think he has much left in the tank.

Duchene... idk. I still think if we were ostensibly going to try to win it made more sense to keep him and not sign Nyquist. Nyquist is fine and all but Duchene is a bit younger and better IMO right now, and if you sign ROR you still get the leadership role from him. As always it's possible things happened we aren't privy to but it seemed from the limited indications I got like Duchene has matured and could have been a productive player without needing to be a "leader" in the room.

It's not really that big of a deal, although that 6.xxM cap hit in a couple years is ugly.

Reactions: 101st_fan

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Duchene had to be a cultural thing to be willing to go buyout. He averaged career typical scoring rates with us (60ish points per season). So to be willing to remove 60ish points per season from a team and a buyout penalty.

Granted Nyquist is on a 50ish point pace while just making over 3 million so we do end up slightly ahead this year and about equal in terms of total caphit (dead cap + nyquist) while not being terribly far off assuming Nyquist continues to perform.

RoR over RyJo all day every day so far. RoR currently has as many points as RyJo is pacing for in 82 games

Reactions: Soundgarden

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad