News Article: Former Penguin Kevin Stevens facing federal drug charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
I had percocet when I had my wisdom teeth taken out. Made me a little loopy, I guess, when I was taking them people said I acted weird. I have a crippling fear of addiction so I never take anything more than a few times in succession.

Ha. I remember getting mine out and trying to watch Fight Club three times in 2 days but kept falling asleep. So I have a blurry recollection of that movie and also that's also my association with "Where is my Mind", appropriately.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I had surgery a few years ago and they gave me percocet. I took two pills on recovery day, felt like crap and had the weirdest dream of my life, woke up sweating and stopped taking them. Definitely not a fan.

I know medication is necessary and very helpful in a lot of scenarios, but I also had a rough experience with Lyrica. Long story, but I had nerve pain from neurological cat scratch fever a few years ago so I was prescribed Lyrica. It was a mild dose but I got really dizzy every time I took it. It only marginally helped the nerve pain so I weened myself off of it. I had major, major headaches for 2 weeks coming off of that ****.

Fortunately, the nerve pain subsided over time without medication.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

I have always wondered if his troubles began with his face being shattered. I guess I have my answer now:

According to Kelly, Stevens has been addicted to painkillers for more than 20 years, dating to a ghastly on-ice accident in 1993 when many of his facial bones were crushed. Surgeons had to peel down his face, mend the shattered pieces with multiple plates. It was the painkillers Stevens took during recovery, contends Kelly, that triggered his addiction.

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
delete - read story first before commenting

Last edited:

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
No more cocaine and hookers jokes.

One day we'll get smart, and legalize all this stuff to the extent that you can be arrested but then instead of being thrown in the slammer which does ****-all for people's ability to stop addiction and later integrate back into society, we put people in treatment programs. Would probably still be less expensive than prison.

It's so stupid the way the war on drugs has been handled. It's like "oooo this stuff is bad for you and causes all kinds of health and civil problems, so the best solution is to take the user (eespecially if the user sells) and throw him in prison where he'll get no treatment and then when he gets out, zero chance of ever finding a job, which will put him in a depressed state so he can seek out more drugs to kill the pain."

Rinse, repeat, create a multi-billion dollar prison industry.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Former NHL star Kevin Stevens sentenced to probation on drug dealing conviction

In a dramatic hearing that underscored the scourge of the state’s opioid epidemic, former professional hockey player Kevin Stevens, who was raised in Massachusetts and twice won the Stanley Cup, was sentenced to probation for conspiring to sell oxycodone.

Prosecutors had asked that Stevens, 52, of Weymouth, serve a year in prison, less than what he faced under sentencing guidelines.

But US District Judge George A. O’Toole Jr. said he was caught between a need to punish Stevens and a desire to support the rehabilitation of a man whose addiction began after one of the National Hockey League’s worst on-ice injuries.

“The risk of interrupting the progress that has been made is perhaps an unwise risk to take,â€O’Toole told a courtroom crowded with Stevens’ supporters.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
No more cocaine and hookers jokes.

One day we'll get smart, and legalize all this stuff to the extent that you can be arrested but then instead of being thrown in the slammer which does ****-all for people's ability to stop addiction and later integrate back into society, we put people in treatment programs. Would probably still be less expensive than prison.

It's so stupid the way the war on drugs has been handled. It's like "oooo this stuff is bad for you and causes all kinds of health and civil problems, so the best solution is to take the user (especially if the user sells) and throw him in prison where he'll get no treatment and then when he gets out, zero chance of ever finding a job, which will put him in a depressed state so he can seek out more drugs to kill the pain."

Rinse, repeat, create a multi-billion dollar prison industry.

Big, big difference from being a user that is caught with own drugs vs drug dealing IMO. I understand that some of the laws are very stupidly weighted based on the substance as to whether it is a "dealing" amount or not. Just like the cops weighing weed plants in their entirety, dirt, roots, stems and all.

Using shouldn't be criminalized, but drug dealing should. Jail system doesn't help either, and just makes it worse, but we can on and on about what's wrong with the criminal justice system.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I didn’t know cat scratch fever was something other than a euphemism for VD.

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
I had a tooth pulled and got dry socket. Don't wish that on anyone. tried the prescription and I couldn't even function. Stopped taking them after one dose. I'd rather deal with the pain and pack the socket with a special smelly packing for about a week or two until it closed.

If it were not for the dry socket, I have never used my prescriptions, ever. Not even Tylenol.

I really don't see the appeal of doing such stuff. You basically become a sloth.

I, like you, would rather deal with pain than take any meds. When I got all 4 of my wisdom teeth out, I didn't take my prescription pills.. Same when I had stitches in my shin, even though that pain was unbearable at times. I can't fault anyone for taking pain medications though, it really depends on what they're dealing with.

I don't take prescription meds because I have a phobia of dependency, same reason I don't drink alcohol.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Jesus christ Stevens..
Hasn't he tried to fix his life the last 3yrs? The charge is from 2015, seems weird to now be charged for it unless that other dude flipped on him to screw him over.

Poor dude.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Oh, damn. I am getting notifications for posts I made back in June, what the hell is going on here?

She finally did it!

cherturn.png

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Oh, damn. I am getting notifications for posts I made back in June, what the hell is going on here?
There's been an unusual amount of necro-bumps recently. It's strange. Part of me is like, damn, this thread is 10 years old and another part of me is like, daaaaammmmn, that's some impressive search skills :laugh: Whatev, it's summer, yeah?
ECFSsaA.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad