News Article: Former Penguin Kevin Stevens facing federal drug charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Kevin Stevens in trouble again

Just saw this posted on the main board:

Ex-hockey star Kevin Stevens charged with drug offense

Dammit, Artie. Stevens was my first favorite player when I became a Pens fan (not counting Mario) and I was devastated when he broke his face in 1993. And when he got arrested for crack cocaine some years later while with the Rangers.

I guess the Pens helped him out as much as they could, bringing him back for one last hurrah. Then keeping him around as a pro scout up until a few years ago. Stevens was looking John Goodman-sized at the Cup anniversary alumni event and whenever he was shown in the owner's box at games but otherwise seemed alright. But he's slowly becoming our own Scott Hall. This sucks.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
This is not good.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...e-oxycodone/Pnmkc5eOJNtmJq4Sq9SS2I/story.html

Famed former pro hockey player Kevin Stevens, who was raised in Massachusetts and won the Stanley Cup twice with the Pittsburgh Penguins, was charged in federal court Thursday with conspiring to sell oxycodone.

Stevens, 51, of Pembroke, and another man, Christopher Alonardo, who is in his late 40s, from Medford, are charged with conspiracy and possession with intent to distribute oxycodone around the fall of 2015, according to court records.

They are being held until a detention hearing, which is scheduled for Tuesday.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Is he still employed by the Penguins?

No, they quietly terminated his employment a few years back. I believe it was even for the ever-ominous "health reasons". :shakehead

Opioid addictions are brutal, and Oxycodone dealers often seem to be people that are using as well and start dealing to support their own habits.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
No, they quietly terminated his employment a few years back. I believe it was even for the ever-ominous "health reasons". :shakehead

Opioid addictions are brutal, and Oxycodone dealers often seem to be people that are using as well and start dealing to support their own habits.

Yeah. Frontline from PBS has a good documentary on Oxy and how it leads to addiction including some graduating to heroin.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Yeah. Frontline from PBS has a good documentary on Oxy and how it leads to addiction including some graduating to heroin.

Yeah, I was reading this huge expose the LA Times did on how Purdue really cherry-picked the data to get it FDA approved and then has been basically creating the epidemic all on their own because Oxy doesn't really work well as a painkiller for most people and certainly not at as it's advertised (12 hour dosage)- instead it basically just creates opioid addicts.

http://static.latimes.com/oxycontin-part1/

It's really awful.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

tread102

Mar 17, 2008
Yeah, I was reading this huge expose the LA Times did on how Purdue really cherry-picked the data to get it FDA approved and then has been basically creating the epidemic all on their own because Oxy doesn't really work well as a painkiller for most people and certainly not at as it's advertised (12 hour dosage)- instead it basically just creates opioid addicts.

It's really awful.

really nasty stuff. I took it for 4 or 5 days after a shoulder operation. 12 hours after my last pill I was in a fetal position shaking and sweating with no clothes on(i've never done any sort of drugs) I'll never take that crap again.

As for stevens truly sad. Still remember that hit, and him falling to the ice face first. Just brutal. Like many have said, he was never the same.

Reactions: MurrKess3081

mgd525

May 18, 2007
What a shame. Guy should have been set up for the rest of his life. He blew it.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Didn't the team set him up in an apartment in Boston by himself? Not trying to be critical but that's probably not the best way to help someone out with an addiction.

EDIT: Wow some of those comments underneath the article. Wow wow wow.

Last edited:

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Stuff should be illegal. End of story. Just as addictive as heroin, but lasts longer. I'd wager that at least 50% of the Oxy sold is fraudulently prescribed.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002

It's really awful.

Yikes... Only halfway through but this is a good read.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

It's really awful.

Oh man... great article. It really hits home because it's a huge problem here in the greater Ohio Valley. And downstate WV. The rise of Oxy prescriptions in the past has directly fueled the more recent heroin epidemic around here, as well.

I've known too many people who have fallen into that abyss.

As for Stevens... I hope he gets the help he needs.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
My pops tried them once(oxy or dilaudid) and said "never again".
I told him you could get a pretty penny selling those and he said "are you crazy?" and took em back to the doc.
He had severe hip/groin pain and couldn't sleep at night.
He got a hip replacement and is totally fine now.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Feel bad for him.

Hope this finally gets him clear of it.

What a feel good guy to tragedy don't be me, slogan.

The thing is, for addiction, you have to want something more to break the addiction.

I guess he just can't find that thing he wants more.

Sad.

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
I have a bottle with a few oxy left in it at home right now which will be getting destroyed. My very recent story, in a nutshell:

May 4th (Star Wars day) I had shoulder surgery.
Started taking 2 pills every 4 hours to keep the pain from ever setting in

2 pills pretty much every 4-6 hours until May 9 for pain

May 9th - Took 1 pill at 7:30 am so I could work
Wife took me to work
Got home from work late afternoon and didn't think about pills at all - totally forgot
6:30 pm I started feeling sick to my stomach and dizzy(withdrawal)

So after a handful of days of taking this as directed, I went into withdrawal.

Yep - This stuff is evil.

I feel bad for Stevens but understand how someone could get hooked to this in a hurry.

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC

It's really awful.

For anyone else who is curious like me, I did some research over the weekend after my experience.

The article above is regarding Oxycontin which is a time-released Oxycodone. They are the same stuff just in slightly different form.

I was actually prescribed Percocet which is Oxycodone with acetaminophen (tylenol).

This stuff is nasty in any form - there's got to be something better out there.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I had percocet when I had my wisdom teeth taken out. Made me a little loopy, I guess, when I was taking them people said I acted weird. I have a crippling fear of addiction so I never take anything more than a few times in succession.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
I have a bottle with a few oxy left in it at home right now which will be getting destroyed. My very recent story, in a nutshell:

May 4th (Star Wars day) I had shoulder surgery.
Started taking 2 pills every 4 hours to keep the pain from ever setting in

2 pills pretty much every 4-6 hours until May 9 for pain

May 9th - Took 1 pill at 7:30 am so I could work
Wife took me to work
Got home from work late afternoon and didn't think about pills at all - totally forgot
6:30 pm I started feeling sick to my stomach and dizzy(withdrawal)

So after a handful of days of taking this as directed, I went into withdrawal.

Yep - This stuff is evil.

I feel bad for Stevens but understand how someone could get hooked to this in a hurry.

are you sure that was withdrawal? i've never heard of someone getting withdrawals after not even 5 full days of normal dosages, less than 12 hours after the last dose. i would just about call it impossible. the pills themselves can give you those same symptoms if you were maybe dehydrated/had an empty stomach after work

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
are you sure that was withdrawal? i've never heard of someone getting withdrawals after not even 5 full days of normal dosages, less than 12 hours after the last dose. i would just about call it impossible. the pills themselves can give you those same symptoms if you were maybe dehydrated/had an empty stomach after work

I took a pill at 6:30 after starting to feel sick and felt better about 1/2 hour later. I ate and drank normally through the day including dinner at about 5:30. Maybe it wasn't withdrawal but it seems pretty coincidental.

Regardless, after doing the research I did over this past weekend, I won't be taking it again unless absolutely necessary. Nasty stuff.

jjp66

Apr 10, 2015
Generations from now, people are going to look back in disbelief at some of the completely ****ed up medical prescriptions being legally subscribed by doctors to patients or purchased over the counter; The same way we do now when looking back at the history of medicine. The sad thing is, a lot of people realize this today, but are completely powerless to the big Pharma companies with unlimited power.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I had percocet when I had my wisdom teeth taken out. Made me a little loopy, I guess, when I was taking them people said I acted weird. I have a crippling fear of addiction so I never take anything more than a few times in succession.

I had a tooth pulled and got dry socket. Don't wish that on anyone. tried the prescription and I couldn't even function. Stopped taking them after one dose. I'd rather deal with the pain and pack the socket with a special smelly packing for about a week or two until it closed.

If it were not for the dry socket, I have never used my prescriptions, ever. Not even Tylenol.

I really don't see the appeal of doing such stuff. You basically become a sloth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad