OT: Former ice rink in Phoenix?

Hockeymom6

Jun 11, 2021
Yes, I believe it was called Ice Palace West and it was at 2740 W Indian School Rd. It has been many things including a furniture store. We used to play "Broom Ball" in the late 70's I believe. We rented it after closing and formed our own team of friends. We used a broom, tennis shoes and a volley/beach ball.View attachment 159845 View attachment 159847 View attachment 159849 View attachment 159845 View attachment 159847 View attachment 159849
Were there any rinks in Scottsdale like in the air park area by chance? Thanks

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
No, it was at 27th Ave and Indian School. After the rink closed (I can't remember the name) it was replaced by the Golden 8Ball pool hall. The Golden 8Ball moved there from right down the road in the shopping center where the business Costco is now. The building is still there and is a thrift store. 2740 W Indian School Rd
Damn you guys are bringing back memories. I remember going to the Golden 8 Ball after I turned 21 for the hot rocker chicks that used to hang out there. That was when we didn't want to go to Grahm Central Station just down the street with the Stetsons on.

There used to be an ice skating rink at Metro Center a looong time ago and one at 40th St. and Thomas I think.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Possibly off topic, but the owner of Ozzie ice back in the day (32nd and Shea) was a patient of moms and that place ended up on the first 48 because an employee whacked another employee over something. Place shut down shortly after.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
When I started playing circa 2000, I'd occasionally do Hacker at Arcadia, and most of the old timers always called it by its former name, Tower. Then 10 years later I'm driving along Thomas Rd in the area at night, look up and see this big radio/tv tower, and thought "ohhhhhhh"
Yep, was tower plaza mall

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Possibly off topic, but the owner of Ozzie ice back in the day (32nd and Shea) was a patient of moms and that place ended up on the first 48 because an employee whacked another employee over something. Place shut down shortly after.
Ironically I saw that episode in a Chicago hotel stay, during one of my sons hockey tournaments there.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Whacked is an understatement, took a sledge hammer to the guys head and it was over nothing really. Shithead just tried to go in and steal a bunch of crap only to be surprised by another employee who was there later than expected. Wrong place, wrong time if there ever was one. Thankfully the f***ing worthless moron who did it got caught in like Dallas or somewhere like that trying to pawn some power tools he stole from the place.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
^yeah, at the time I knew the guy's fiance. She played hockey actually, with a woman on a coed softball team I was on. I took part in some fun pickup games at Ozzie with them when I was working up near metrocenter. Super nice young lady, super sad.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
^yeah, at the time I knew the guy's fiance. She played hockey actually, with a woman on a coed softball team I was on. I took part in some fun pickup games at Ozzie with them when I was working up near metrocenter. Super nice young lady, super sad.
Damn that makes it that much more tragic. So stupid and senseless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad