OT: Former ice rink in Phoenix?

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Today I was talking to a good friend about ice rinks (we were on our way to BTM to help him pick out his first pair of skates). He mentioned that there used to be one around 35th Ave and Indian School in Phoenix. I first skated at Oceanside in the early 90's, and don't remember this rink ever existing (not saying that it didn't). I was just looking for information about it.

Feb 12, 2003
I don't recall the one that was on 35th and Indian School. On a similar topic, there used to be one in Metro Center Mall when I was a kid. The Arcadia Ice one was once part of a mall as well, so that must have been the thing to do in the 70's.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I don't recall the one that was on 35th and Indian School. On a similar topic, there used to be one in Metro Center Mall when I was a kid. The Arcadia Ice one was once part of a mall as well, so that must have been the thing to do in the 70's.

Only time I've ever ice skated was at Arcadia Ice.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Only time I've ever ice skated was at Arcadia Ice.

When I started playing circa 2000, I'd occasionally do Hacker at Arcadia, and most of the old timers always called it by its former name, Tower. Then 10 years later I'm driving along Thomas Rd in the area at night, look up and see this big radio/tv tower, and thought "ohhhhhhh"

Reactions: ck26

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Today I was talking to a good friend about ice rinks (we were on our way to BTM to help him pick out his first pair of skates). He mentioned that there used to be one around 35th Ave and Indian School in Phoenix. I first skated at Oceanside in the early 90's, and don't remember this rink ever existing (not saying that it didn't). I was just looking for information about it.

I was out here briefly in the early 80's and I remember some team mates discussing a rink that I believe they called the "wagon wheel", or the "wheel house" that if memory serves, would have been in that area.

ssmatik

Jul 13, 2007
West Side
Is that the old history of the indoor soccer facility at 39th Ave/Indian School perhaps?

No, it was at 27th Ave and Indian School. After the rink closed (I can't remember the name) it was replaced by the Golden 8Ball pool hall. The Golden 8Ball moved there from right down the road in the shopping center where the business Costco is now. The building is still there and is a thrift store. 2740 W Indian School Rd

Last edited:
Reactions: RemoAZ

twominutes

Apr 10, 2012
thats the one, was just out of high school at the time so must have been mid 70's, didn't last in that location a real long time

Tanic

Dec 28, 2003
Visit site
No, it was at 27th Ave and Indian School. After the rink closed (I can't remember the name) it was replaced by the Golden 8Ball pool hall. The Golden 8Ball moved there from right down the road in the shopping center where the business Costco is now. The building is still there and is a thrift store. 2740 W Indian School Rd

+1

It was called Ice Palace West and run by the Ice Palace which is now Arcadia. The sheet was about 150 feet long and only had glass on two sides. The south goal and east side had cinder blocks above the board tops. I'm still sore from those checks. :toothless

600phoenixaz.jpg

paulnick9092

Nov 29, 2018
Yes, I believe it was called Ice Palace West and it was at 2740 W Indian School Rd. It has been many things including a furniture store. We used to play "Broom Ball" in the late 70's I believe. We rented it after closing and formed our own team of friends. We used a broom, tennis shoes and a volley/beach ball.
broom ball 1.jpg
broom ball 2.jpg
broom ball 3.jpg
broom ball 1.jpg
broom ball 2.jpg
broom ball 3.jpg

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I believe Ozzie Ice is where Matthews got a lot of his reps in when he was a youngster.

Reactions: Yotes2000

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
When I started playing circa 2000, I'd occasionally do Hacker at Arcadia, and most of the old timers always called it by its former name, Tower. Then 10 years later I'm driving along Thomas Rd in the area at night, look up and see this big radio/tv tower, and thought "ohhhhhhh"

Remember when a guy climbed it and fell off?

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Remember when a guy climbed it and fell off?
I do, a friend of mine actually filmed it. Dude was kind of playing around up there, like I'm not sure he intended to jump, suddenly lost his grip and that was it. Tragic series of events to say the least.

Oh and yeah, I always knew it as Tower Plaza as well or "tower" for short.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad