Former Ducks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=main/latest/1/0/1002372/clip/0#main/latest

Pretty big compliment to Getzlaf from Ryan.. The media wanted Ryan to compare Spezza to Getzlaf and Ryan pretty much says Getzy is the best play making center he has seen. If you read between the lines (at least I think) it seems that Ryan thinks Getzy is better than Spez. Which is not to say that doesn't change. Ryan is clearly high on Getzy.

Ryan is right if he does think that. Outside of 2011-12 Getzlaf has been far superior to Spezza ever since the 2007 finals. I think Ryan would have worked out a lot better here if Perry wasn't around and he was Getzlaf's go to guy.

SoCalHockey

Jun 11, 2010
Ryan is right if he does think that. Outside of 2011-12 Getzlaf has been far superior to Spezza ever since the 2007 finals. I think Ryan would have worked out a lot better here if Perry wasn't around and he was Getzlaf's go to guy.

I guess I'm surprised how easy it came out of his mouth with 15 reporters in his face. He didn't really hesitate to say his piece. We know Getzy is better than Spez, but in most cases players will shy away from saying their former center was better (albeit in a round about way) and instead just praise how good their current center is and how much better that center will make them lol.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I guess I'm surprised how easy it came out of his mouth with 15 reporters in his face. He didn't really hesitate to say his piece. We know Getzy is better than Spez, but in most cases players will shy away from saying their former center was better (albeit in a round about way) and instead just praise how good their current center is and how much better that center will make them lol.

Shades of his comments about Philly that started all the hub-bub. Giving an honest answer that wasn't thought through before speaking.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Getzlaf is pretty clearly a much better playmaker, however anyone being honest will admit Spezza is a much better goal scorer. That may be mainly due to willingness to shoot, but regardless I don't see Getzlaf ever having multiple 30+G years.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Getzlaf is pretty clearly a much better playmaker, however anyone being honest will admit Spezza is a much better goal scorer. That may be mainly due to willingness to shoot, but regardless I don't see Getzlaf ever having multiple 30+G years.

Absolutely he's a better goal scorer but Getzlaf is as you said a better playmaker and a better offensive player in general. When you factor in his physical ability and defensive play on top of that Getzlaf is quite clearly ahead.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Absolutely he's a better goal scorer but Getzlaf is as you said a better playmaker and a better offensive player in general. When you factor in his physical ability and defensive play on top of that Getzlaf is quite clearly ahead.

No argument at all. It may mean Spezza is a better center for Ryan though.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
No argument at all. It may mean Spezza is a better center for Ryan though.

Yeah he very well could be better for Ryan. I read on tsn.ca Ryan is starting on the left with Michalek on the right - I would be interested to see how Ryan fares on his natural side but if the report is correct he won't be there initially. It will be interesting to see how he does in a different environment with top PP time though.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Hedstrom made his debute for Piteå today. I interviewed him after the game, and I made an odd discovery. He knew nothing about the Ducks 20th anniversary. It's odd because I met Jonas Ronnqvist a couple of months ago and he said he was going to be in Anaheim during the event. Why would they invite a player who played 38 games as a Mighty Duck, but not someone who played 83 games, plus three playoff games for the club?

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Hedstrom made his debute for Piteå today. I interviewed him after the game, and I made an odd discovery. He knew nothing about the Ducks 20th anniversary. It's odd because I met Jonas Ronnqvist a couple of months ago and he said he was going to be in Anaheim during the event. Why would they invite a player who played 38 games as a Mighty Duck, but not someone who played 83 games, plus three playoff games for the club?

I can't imagine why they'd invite either one to a 20th anniversary celebration. Neither was around in '93, and neither made much of an impact on the club. In fact, didn't Hedstrom pull a Kjellberg and bail during the playoffs? Maybe that's why he's not invited.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I can't imagine why they'd invite either one to a 20th anniversary celebration. Neither was around in '93, and neither made much of an impact on the club. In fact, didn't Hedstrom pull a Kjellberg and bail during the playoffs? Maybe that's why he's not invited.

I got an answer from Adam Brady already, he claims only players from the 93/94 season were invited. So actually, Ronnqvist wasn't invited either. I have no idea why he would say that he's going to Anaheim, unless he's just meeting up with some former teammates in private.

I thought it was strange if Ronnqvist was invited too. In that case every player to ever play for the franchise must have been, that would be hundreds. I wish all players who helped build the Mighty Ducks would be there though. Would have hoped to see Kariya, Rucchin, McDonald, Scotty etc etc back in the Pond again.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I got an answer from Adam Brady already, he claims only players from the 93/94 season were invited. So actually, Ronnqvist wasn't invited either. I have no idea why he would say that he's going to Anaheim, unless he's just meeting up with some former teammates in private.

I thought it was strange if Ronnqvist was invited too. In that case every player to ever play for the franchise must have been, that would be hundreds. I wish all players who helped build the Mighty Ducks would be there though. Would have hoped to see Kariya, Rucchin, McDonald, Scotty etc etc back in the Pond again.

Maybe we'll see some franchise icons at the stadium game. It's a bit early for that sort of thing; we're a fairly young franchise to have a "greats" game.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
558853_10151825006804477_976496892_n.jpg

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Does this describe a typical game for Ryan? "Lazy, no impact and sweet goal"? because thats how he looked tonight.

Also, you guys likin' Silfver and Noesen?

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Sounds familiar.

Silfverberg apparently has 2 goals in 2 scrimmage games, haven't heard much about Noesen

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Does this describe a typical game for Ryan? "Lazy, no impact and sweet goal"? because thats how he looked tonight.

Don't expect to get more than 30-35 goals and 30-35 assists from Bobby.

Remember, he's played with great players on numerous occasions in his career (Getzlaf, Perry, Selanne), but he never was really able to get to that next level. I don't really expect that to change playing with Spezza and Michalek

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

Remember, he's played with great players on numerous occasions in his career (Getzlaf, Perry, Selanne), but he never was really able to get to that next level. I don't really expect that to change playing with Spezza and Michalek

The only thing he might get a boost from is 1st PP unit time. But other than that I agree with you.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia

With Penner on top line your 1st round pick is also looking good :sarcasm:

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005

I think he'll score a decent a bit more. Partially due to PP time, like paul mentions. But also because of moving to the East. I think it'll suit his style more.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
i think ryan will play well in the eastern conference. more space for him and 1st PP time will really benefit him imo. i wouldn't eb surprised to see him at around 80 points if he plays all 82 games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad