Former Ducks Thread II: AKA Wild Bill is good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnus the Duck

Nov 7, 2014
Sweden
Jesus what an awful lineup from top to bottom. That's one of the worst I've seen

Shaw will probably make an impact then.

As for William Karlsson, he has 5 goals in his 6 last games now. He has an extreme shooting percentage, but seeing some of his goals, it's not hard to understand as a lot of them are wide open net goals. He has a knack of speeding into empty space and getting a pass for an easy goal. He is everything that we hoped Hagelin would be but was not.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
It's nice to see two of my favourites (Karlsson and Theodore) do well in Vegas. I hope they can keep it up.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Hm, the link translates to video? Here is the quote:

“Back then I was [thinking], ‘I’ve done well. I played well. Why am I the one to go?’ You take the things said about you personally. But I’ve learned you have to take those things with a grain of salt,” Ryan said.
“A couple of [Senators] have asked me about it. You have to do your best to put it away. For me, it took two years, two years of reading, and two years of being mad at the GM for no reason, two years of being mad at the coach for no reason, taking things personally.”
When a cloud of rumours swirled over his head, Ryan said he would bottle everything up, silently miserable as he punched the clock in sunny Anaheim.
“I didn’t learn the right way,” he explained. “Back then I didn’t talk to anybody. I just went to the rink and left. Sullen. Probably not listening to the coach as much as I should because I was pissed off. I wish I could take all that back.[\Quote]

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Friedman wrote a nice text about Bernier and some of the adjustments he made in his game during the offseason:

16. Colorado hired Jussi Parkkila as its goalie coach last summer because of his familiarity with Semyon Varlamov. However, the true Avalanche netminding success story is Jonathan Bernier, who beat the Maple Leafs on Monday night for the team’s 10th-straight victory. Parkkila admitted he and Bernier didn’t know each other at all. What was the first thing Parkkila noticed about his newest pupil? “No bad days,” he answered. That’s huge for Bernier, and a big change. When he was going through difficult times in Toronto, he wore it. Very openly. It’s a difficult way to live, especially in that market.

17. As for technical changes, Parkkila says the biggest adjustment was in Bernier’s “reverse VH.” He and I talked while walking to the Colorado bus, so I didn’t have time to pry further. When that happens, a call goes out to the “goalie whisperer,” InGoal Magazine’s Kevin Woodley. He did see some obvious differences.
“The change is very noticeable,” Woodley wrote via text. “Basically, he used to be inconsistent with how he went into his posts, sometimes with blade of skate on post, sometimes with shin of pad on post and less often with bottom edge of pad (toe box) on post. Now it’s consistently toe box, he does it consistently and more often (used to stay up on his skates more) and his entry into and exit off the posts are noticeably cleaner…He is cleaner and crisper in movement, bit more spot to spot, with proper rotation, and less flow than last year. Leaves him square more, set earlier, not caught moving as much, beating plays on his skates. Also seems to be a little more upright, slightly narrower stance, not getting hunched over and spread out.”
Still half a season to go, but Bernier is a big comeback story so far.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
ryan is making it seem like he wasn't the one who wanted out when that was clearly the case

he couldn't stand playing in getzlaf and perry's shadow. and look what he's done since he was traded. a couple 50 pt seasons and this year's it's clear he's on his way out of the league at age 30

Magnus the Duck

Nov 7, 2014
Sweden
ryan is making it seem like he wasn't the one who wanted out when that was clearly the case

he couldn't stand playing in getzlaf and perry's shadow. and look what he's done since he was traded. a couple 50 pt seasons and this year's it's clear he's on his way out of the league at age 30

Now he is playing in Hoffman and Stone's shadow. And he has 4 years left of a $7,2 milljon contract with NMC. Which is more than E.Karlsson gets in Ottawa.

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
Why feel sorry for someone whose inability to put things together and to accept that he wasn't a star player and instead needed to stick to a more Cogs-like role is mostly his own doing?

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
He had a good motor, I also feel sad he didn`t put it together.

Another reminder that WHL scoring champions historically have rarely translated to good NHL players. I`m not speaking just about Etem. Years ago I was checking and it is almost ridiculosly surprising of the further careers of the top WHL scorers.

Dunno what the situation is in other leagues though.

broman

Mar 9, 2003
HEL's antechamber
Kind of against expectations, but Sami has quietly become a shutdown D-man. He’s clocking #1 minutes with top line match-ups against Eastern opponents (most recently Eichel, Couturier/Voracek, Crosby), and specializing in shot suppression.

Since the trade, the Devils have the least shots against after Bruins in the NHL. Obviously not all up to Sami himself, but his arrival has steadied the Devils’ right side and allowed the rest of the D to slide down to more manageable match-ups.

He’s still unable to defy the laws of physics when faced with serious muscle, and Devils as a team are going through ups and down as you’d expect from a mostly young team in transition. But they remain in contention, and Sami is very much a part of that.

Reactions: Magnus the Duck

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Very cool to see him doing well there. Vats has been one of my favorites ever since since the coffee incident :laugh::laugh:

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Kind of against expectations, but Sami has quietly become a shutdown D-man. He’s clocking #1 minutes with top line match-ups against Eastern opponents (most recently Eichel, Couturier/Voracek, Crosby), and specializing in shot suppression.

Since the trade, the Devils have the least shots against after Bruins in the NHL. Obviously not all up to Sami himself, but his arrival has steadied the Devils’ right side and allowed the rest of the D to slide down to more manageable match-ups.

He’s still unable to defy the laws of physics when faced with serious muscle, and Devils as a team are going through ups and down as you’d expect from a mostly young team in transition. But they remain in contention, and Sami is very much a part of that.
Thanks for the update. I follow him in the box scores where he still seems to be struggling to find his offensive mojo. Glad to hear he is a major contributor even without driving the offense.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Thanks for the update. I follow him in the box scores where he still seems to be struggling to find his offensive mojo. Glad to hear he is a major contributor even without driving the offense.

He’s looking better offensively lately. After 0 points his first 10 games with them he now has 11 in his last 17 and is shooting the puck much more. The assists are there and if he keeps shooting the goals will eventually come.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
He’s looking better offensively lately. After 0 points his first 10 games with them he now has 11 in his last 17 and is shooting the puck much more. The assists are there and if he keeps shooting the goals will eventually come.
I hope you're right. I believe his only goal with the Devils was an ENG. I know he has been picking up assists, but I wasn't sure how much of it was related to him driving the PP or even driving the 5v5 offense. It's been a while since he did that for us.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Former Duck Nate Thompson traded to the Kings in the Phaneuf trade. It'll be weird seeing him wear that jersey...

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.

William Karlsson now a 30 goal scorer in the NHL and that goal also was his 100th career point. Man I wish we had him still and he was this good for us but he probably wouldn't of been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad