Former Canucks Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Absolute lol that teams are still trading an asset for RealGud.

I feel bad so bad for Chabot. He gets one of Zaitsev or Guddy anchored next to him.

Reportedly, Gudbranson played pretty well in Anaheim.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Reportedly, Gudbranson played pretty well in Anaheim.

Looking at his RAPM numbers, he wasn't as bad. Still not good, but not as bad as previously.

This is now his 4th team in 5 years though. I wonder if he's no longer "good in the room". Is that how that works?

Reactions: timw33

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Looks like Luca Sbisa earned another one-way deal from the Jets.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Would the Canucks ever consider a 'do-over' with one of their earlier draft picks--Michael Grabner? Bought out by Arizona, but still a speedy winger who's excellent on the penalty kill. Might slot in on the third our even fourth line, and could move up in the lineup in the event of an injury.

Would also come cheap, and might replace some of the lost production from Tofoli. Might be a very 'low-risk' signing.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I think it bears repeating just how awful the timing always seemed to be for Schneids - stuck behind Luongo in Vancouver, then forced to platoon with Brodeur and finally getting the net all to himself when the Devils were bottoming out before his hips started causing problems. Legitimately one of the unluckiest careers in NHL history:

https://www.allaboutthejersey.com/platform/amp/2020/10/16/21519371/an-ode-to-cory-schneider-a-great-goalie-and-stand-up-guy-with-hall-of-fame-awful-timing-buyout

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I think it bears repeating just how awful the timing always seemed to be for Schneids - stuck behind Luongo in Vancouver, then forced to platoon with Brodeur and finally getting the net all to himself when the Devils were bottoming out before his hips started causing problems. Legitimately one of the unluckiest careers in NHL history:

https://www.allaboutthejersey.com/platform/amp/2020/10/16/21519371/an-ode-to-cory-schneider-a-great-goalie-and-stand-up-guy-with-hall-of-fame-awful-timing-buyout
Schneider earned a ton of money tending goal in the NHL; and went to a Stanley Cup Final with the Canucks. There's worse fates than playing behind HOF goalies like Luongo and Brodeur. I think his career turned out just fine...and it's not done yet.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Cybulski's tweet links to a different article about Gino. This is the article about his health:

Gino Odjick lutte à nouveau pour sa vie

Gino says the disease came out of remission about a month ago and he'll be on chemo for the next six months. All the best to him.
For those who don't read French, the main takeaways are:

• About a month ago, his amyloidosis returned. He restarted chemo (which he had used in 2014), and will be so for the next six months. He is confident he can get out from under it this time too, as the doctors discovered the relapse early. He had a few treatment options but he wanted to go with what worked in Ottawa last time.

• He is in good spirits (says "I'm too young to die!" in the hopeful rather than panicky sense). Going back to Maniwaki, as he periodically does, has been complicated by COVID, but he is appreciative for how much the fans still support him in Vancouver, noting the reception he got at the 50th anniversary celebrations.

• He had been working with the Aquilinis as a liaison to First Nations groups for the Aquilinis' purchases and development projects (I actually didn't know this). He had to give up the Musqueam golf course, as the lease had to be returned to the band council (it's not clear if this is just because it expired or what). He says he would have liked to keep it, but is fine with it returning. He also notes he can't play golf anymore because of his condition.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
For those who don't read French, the main takeaways are:

• He had been working with the Aquilinis as a liaison to First Nations groups for the Aquilinis' purchases and development projects (I actually didn't know this). He had to give up the Musqueam golf course, as the lease had to be returned to the band council (it's not clear if this is just because it expired or what). He says he would have liked to keep it, but is fine with it returning. He also notes he can't play golf anymore because of his condition.

"Il opérait aussi un terrain de golf sur la réserve de Musqueam où il habite, mais il a dû revendre le bail de location au conseil de bande de Musqueam, qui détenait une option sur le parcours."

my french sucks but does that mean he lives on the musqueam reservation or just that that's where the golf course is?

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
"Il opérait aussi un terrain de golf sur la réserve de Musqueam où il habite, mais il a dû revendre le bail de location au conseil de bande de Musqueam, qui détenait une option sur le parcours."

my french sucks but does that mean he lives on the musqueam reservation or just that that's where the golf course is?
Yeah, he lives there. I'm not an expert in aboriginal law, but as a holder of status under the Indian Act, he might gain tax benefits from living on a reserve, even though it's not his own nation.

Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
el1clvgn24u51.jpg

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Man his career turned out pretty much nowhere.
I do remember the day we traded him, this board went bat shit crazy lol

He did make the Hawks early on. Did injuries curtail his career?

Yeah I was actually on board with the trade at the time. Clendening was further along than Forsling at the time.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I imagined if he stayed with us, and learned under Edler for a few years, he would have developed into a pretty good defenseman.
He was a smaller Dman than Edler. Keith was in Chicago with him. I think that would be a better player to learn from given their size. And Carolina had good Dmen in Slavin, Pesce, etc. Just not good enough to stay in the NHL.

Reactions: wetcoast

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Yeah, he lives there. I'm not an expert in aboriginal law, but as a holder of status under the Indian Act, he might gain tax benefits from living on a reserve, even though it's not his own nation.

That is correct. Contrary to many widely held beliefs, natives always pay income tax except for a small amount of exemptions based on residency and business that happens on reserve.

Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

CRDragon

[̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
Dec 2, 2006
Vancouver
I can't believe our team couldn't afford Stetcher, Toffoli, and Leivo at the contracts they signed for. What an economic mess Benning has done, does he even math?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad