Former Canucks Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I can't believe our team couldn't afford Stetcher, Toffoli, and Leivo at the contracts they signed for. What an economic mess Benning has done, does he even math?
Ask yourself whether you would take a paycut to remain in your company?

Stecher down 25%, Toffoli from $4.6 to $4.25, so like 8%, Leivo, is he going to get $1.5 mill in Calgary?

One thing to do that if your production is expected to drop, ala Marleau/Thornton, but not when you are in your mid/late 20's still.

In the NFL guys get cut and sign with other teams. It's a pride thing as well. If I was at $100K and I was asked to drop 15% down to $85K and I knew I could get that or more elsewhere, I would probably take the other job.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009

Stecher down 25%, Toffoli from $4.6 to $4.25, so like 8%, Leivo, is he going to get $1.5 mill in Calgary?

One thing to do that if your production is expected to drop, ala Marleau/Thornton, but not when you are in your mid/late 20's still.

In the NFL guys get cut and sign with other teams. It's a pride thing as well. If I was at $100K and I was asked to drop 15% down to $85K and I knew I could get that or more elsewhere, I would probably take the other job.

I don't think it would've been out of the realm of possibility to offer him a 1-year "show me" deal somewhere around $1-1.25M. It would've been a paycut compared to last year, but higher than what he got from CGY.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
"Oilers Dodged a Bullet Missing Out on Markstrom

BY JIM PARSONS"

Sure guys. Keep telling yourself that.

https://thehockeywriters.com/edmonton-oilers-missing-on-markstrom-good/

The article does make some good points talking about the "value" of a long term goalie contract and the supply and the fact the Oilers picked up Barrie.

I think the Oilers will be better than us next year (like they were this year) and it sounds like you believe Calgary will be as well with the addition of Markstrom.

Calgary does have some good pieces but I'm not a Johnny hockey fan.

joelCAMEL

Apr 17, 2018
Vancouver
He did make the Hawks early on. Did injuries curtail his career?

Yeah I was actually on board with the trade at the time. Clendening was further along than Forsling at the time.

I wondered how he made the Hawks immediately after arriving from Sweden, and asked about him on the Hawks board. Posters said it was in his contract that he could only be sent down after x number of NHL games. Then it got repeated for the following 2 seasons before he was traded to Carolina.

Reactions: Bubbles

CRDragon

[̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
Dec 2, 2006
Vancouver

So you would take a paycut and move elsewhere? There's opportunity to re-sign even after UFA period opens. That's very flawed logic.

In any business, there's market value. It was obvious that the market value of all UFAs dropped this year due to flat cap and uncertain economic picture for the future.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
So you would take a paycut and move elsewhere? There's opportunity to re-sign even after UFA period opens. That's very flawed logic.

In any business, there's market value. It was obvious that the market value of all UFAs dropped this year due to flat cap and uncertain economic picture for the future.
Beyond that you also know where you stand in the organization priority list.

mentally it is easier to take less somewhere else than to return to the same job.

Reactions: F A N

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I agree with StreetHawk. I don't think it's flawed logic at all. It's the feeling of being valued. When Conan O'Brien was asked to move his show back to accommodate Jay Leno, Conan was praised for taking a stand and saying no. Meanwhile, Leno was bashed for hanging around when he was forced out despite being #1 in the rankings. Many thought he should have went to another station the same way Letterman did before.

It's not uncommon for people who got bypassed for a promotion to move on. I don't think it's a whole lot different when your salary is reduced. Obviously there are extenuating circumstances.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
With Josh Leivo now in Calgary, it's official. Benning failed to sign a single one of his UFA's.....not because he necessarily didn't want but because had no cap space to do it. Leivo ($875,000); Stecher ($1.7m) and Tofoli ($4.2m) actually took pay cuts to sign elsewhere.

There isn't a GM in the entire NHL who's managed the salary cap worse than the Canucks and Benning. A capped out team with still massive contracts to try and negotiate with Hughes and Pettersson.

Reactions: rypper and Bubbles

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
There's still a lot of talent out there, a lot of teams lost pieces. The brass choose not to sign these guys for whatever reason and let Calgary vacuum it in. Losing Toffoli hurts, but it seems the Canucks were never interested. markstrom/tanev is not logical. I get the sense this is the Canucks' gambit replacing these pieces with lesser hyped players or rookies and hoping they won't fall back too much before being better positioned for FA 2021.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
That is correct. Contrary to many widely held beliefs, natives always pay income tax except for a small amount of exemptions based on residency and business that happens on reserve.
The only thing I wasn’t sure of is whether it would cut across tribal lines – obviously an Algonquin from Western Quebec has no historical ties to Musqueam territory thousands of miles away. But it sounds like as long as he has permission from the band council to live there, he can invoke his status for the same benefits.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I agree with StreetHawk. I don't think it's flawed logic at all. It's the feeling of being valued. When Conan O'Brien was asked to move his show back to accommodate Jay Leno, Conan was praised for taking a stand and saying no. Meanwhile, Leno was bashed for hanging around when he was forced out despite being #1 in the rankings. Many thought he should have went to another station the same way Letterman did before.

It's not uncommon for people who got bypassed for a promotion to move on. I don't think it's a whole lot different when your salary is reduced. Obviously there are extenuating circumstances.
Each player who left had their own situation to consider based on age.

TT he is 28 so this is his last big contract which takes him to 32. He should be taking the most money possible.
Stecher his 4 years in Vancouver and he ends up at age 26 taking a pay cut. Maybe it’s best to move on and play somewhere to increase his value when his deal ends. Is anything going to change for him over the next 2 years in Vancouver?
Leivo coming off a terrible injury. Never known for his skating so who knows how a broken knee cap will impact him going forward. Issue for Canucks is that they could have signed him for the maximum cap savings in sending a guy to the A at $1.075 mill but they already have enough one way contracts. I don’t know what the Calgary roster would look like but in Vancouver he would be slated to play with Gaudette. Not sure who in Calgary he would play with. Which options provides the best opportunity for him?

Reactions: David71

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Each player who left had their own situation to consider based on age.

TT he is 28 so this is his last big contract which takes him to 32. He should be taking the most money possible.
Stecher his 4 years in Vancouver and he ends up at age 26 taking a pay cut. Maybe it’s best to move on and play somewhere to increase his value when his deal ends. Is anything going to change for him over the next 2 years in Vancouver?
Leivo coming off a terrible injury. Never known for his skating so who knows how a broken knee cap will impact him going forward. Issue for Canucks is that they could have signed him for the maximum cap savings in sending a guy to the A at $1.075 mill but they already have enough one way contracts. I don’t know what the Calgary roster would look like but in Vancouver he would be slated to play with Gaudette. Not sure who in Calgary he would play with. Which options provides the best opportunity for him?

I think the biggest aspect is that free agency is a fast moving environment. Every team is going to set their free agent targets. These targets in turn might not make a decision within minutes, hours, or even within a day so teams are waiting on these guy before turning their attention to the guys who are next on their list. But the guys who are next on their list can't wait forever. This happens in every free agency period but more so this year because they once again did away with free agency interview period.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Jonathan Dahlén ripping up the HockeyAllsvenskan, the 2nd tier of Swedish hockey with 15 points in 6 games.
He’s a 2016 pick with a late birthday. Is this the best league for him to be playing at now as a 23 year old?

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

I agree here 100%.

Chasing OEL was a big mistake.

If Jim had prioritised signing Toffoli and Troy we would be in a much better spot today.

Reactions: rypper

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
I agree here 100%.

Chasing OEL was a big mistake.

If Jim had prioritised signing Toffoli and Troy we would be in a much better spot today.

I'd love our roster if we resigned Toffoli, Stecher and maybe Leivo. They were the ones who should of been resigned without question. Specially with Stecher going for rupees. Add in the Schmidt trade and the Canucks lineup would look good going into next season.
Now the Canucks have more holes in their lineup than they did last year. Losing Toffoli left a huge hole in our top 6. Bring back Eriksson.... barf.

So happy the Ekman-larsson trade fell through. There would of been another garbage contract to add to the list of others we have.

Nazzlind

Sep 9, 2010
Lower Mainland
I'd love our roster if we resigned Toffoli, Stecher and maybe Leivo. They were the ones who should of been resigned without question. Specially with Stecher going for rupees. Add in the Schmidt trade and the Canucks lineup would look good going into next season.
Now the Canucks have more holes in their lineup than they did last year. Losing Toffoli left a huge hole in our top 6. Bring back Eriksson.... barf.

So happy the Ekman-larsson trade fell through. There would of been another garbage contract to add to the list of others we have.
I don’t think all of Toffoli, Stecher, and Schmidt would fit under the cap unfortunately

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
With Josh Leivo now in Calgary, it's official. Benning failed to sign a single one of his UFA's.....not because he necessarily didn't want but because had no cap space to do it. Leivo ($875,000); Stecher ($1.7m) and Tofoli ($4.2m) actually took pay cuts to sign elsewhere.

There isn't a GM in the entire NHL who's managed the salary cap worse than the Canucks and Benning. A capped out team with still massive contracts to try and negotiate with Hughes and Pettersson.
What about the cap teams that didn’t make the playoffs? There are plenty of them. At least the Canucks are a competitive team

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017

I hear what you are saying but we had Toffoli for 10 games and he was only brought into replace boeser. Our forwards look the same

Reactions: Bougieman

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
I hear what you are saying but we had Toffoli for 10 games and he was only brought into replace boeser. Our forwards look the same

Agreed, but we're one down with the loss of Leivo.

I just really hope the Eriksson top 6 experiment is done, actually I hope the Eriksson experiment is done altogether.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Agreed, but we're one down with the loss of Leivo.

I just really hope the Eriksson top 6 experiment is done, actually I hope the Eriksson experiment is done altogether.
I think Hawryluk could be better than leivo who Is coming off a serious injury. I bet Loui has played his last game w the team. If not, Benning has no balls

Reactions: Bougieman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad