Former Canucks Thread 2023-24 Edition

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Still wish we'd somehow found the space to fit him in under the cap in 2011 (I don't remember how much he wanted at the time). Would've been great as a two-way depth C and could've filled in when Manny went down with his eye injury.

remembering the peter schaefer experiment, b-mo could have stuck and contributed played wing on a depth line, biding his time until he was needed at center

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I know he doesn't qualify as a 'former Canuck', but Dylan Guenther is going to be an absolute stud for the Arizona-Salt Lake Coyotes. And as we all know he was drafted by Arizona with the ninth overall pick in 2021 they got from the Canucks in the OEL deal.

Just imagine if the Canucks today had both Guenther and Lekkerimaki in the pipeline as scoring wingers? @#$!@%...Benning!

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I know he doesn't qualify as a 'former Canuck', but Dylan Guenther is going to be an absolute stud for the Arizona-Salt Lake Coyotes. And as we all know he was drafted by Arizona with the ninth overall pick in 2021 they got from the Canucks in the OEL deal.

Just imagine if the Canucks today had both Guenther and Lekkerimaki in the pipeline as scoring wingers? @#$!@%...Benning!
As much as I appreciate what garland is doing, if I was given a choice 100 out of 100 times I’m keeping that 9th pick. Use that cap space to keep toffoli and tanev, and draft guenther.

Morrison has a YouTube channel with his own insight and opinions. Check it out.

Reactions: calnuck

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Still wish we'd somehow found the space to fit him in under the cap in 2011 (I don't remember how much he wanted at the time). Would've been great as a two-way depth C and could've filled in when Manny went down with his eye injury.
The real screw up was subbing out Willie Mitchell and pissing away assets on an injured Keith Ballard. That and Gillis giving the boot to all the team’s toughness.

The 300 line has been around for a donkeys age.

And a guy named Langway was more or less given away
And Brian Engblom. But Green and Walter were solid contributors to their cup in 86.

archangel2

May 19, 2019
The real screw up was subbing out Willie Mitchell and pissing away assets on an injured Keith Ballard. That and Gillis giving the boot to all the team’s toughness.

And Brian Engblom. But Green and Walter were solid contributors to their cup in 86.
Langway will go down as one of the first Americans who did not want to play in Canada.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008

We get either Guenther or Garland.

Garland helps us way more right now.

It's really unfortunate for everyone that OEL got injured and Greener was trash.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008

The real screwup was Ron Delorme drafting zero roster players in 2007, 2008 and 2009.

Mitchell's concussion was a coin flip that led to the Kings first SC.

Damn it.

Reactions: vanuck and calnuck

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Ballard was a solid top 4 guy in Phoenix and in Florida. Played with speed and bite. The guy was awful here. And AV probably didn’t help his cause much. Mitchell had 4 good years here. He wanted to stay and at the end of the day he ended making a fair bit less than Ballard. Steve Bernier and Michael Grabner were decent players. Keep Hordichuk and O’Brien, punt Oreskovich, and Alberts. Team got bullied by Boston.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Steve Bernier and Michael Grabner were decent players. Keep Hordichuk and O’Brien, punt Oreskovich, and Alberts.

Grabner wasn't going to solve it in Vancouver. He himself said it took him hitting rock bottom (getting waived after getting traded) before he figured things out on his end.

I really liked him as a player and it sucked to lose him, but we weren't going to get anything out of him.

Hordichuk was useless and Alberts gets a bum rap. He was fine as a bottom pairing guy.

beckstreaker07

Jul 2, 2009
Ballard was a solid top 4 guy in Phoenix and in Florida. Played with speed and bite. The guy was awful here.
Though he wasn't great here; One of my favorite seasons was in large part due to him and Hamhuis tossing the most epic hip-checks practically every game.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Ballard was a solid top 4 guy in Phoenix and in Florida. Played with speed and bite. The guy was awful here. And AV probably didn’t help his cause much. Mitchell had 4 good years here. He wanted to stay and at the end of the day he ended making a fair bit less than Ballard. Steve Bernier and Michael Grabner were decent players. Keep Hordichuk and O’Brien, punt Oreskovich, and Alberts. Team got bullied by Boston.
Top 4 for bad teams.... Like Hutton for Van... Becomes a 3rd pairing on other teams since.
But, Ballard came into the league with more hype due to draft position.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

IIRC, he wasn’t asking for much at all and signed for basically league minimum with the Caps not long after, where he still put up a few 40+ point seasons.

I often think about how much better situated we would have been with him on the roster for depth at Center.

Reactions: vanuck

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
and $$$$$$$ of cap space
Long term bad money in OEL for short term bad money in Loui, Roussell, Beagle.

But, that's the reality when you keep a GM into the "Hot Seat" timeline. They make desperate moves that if it doesn't work, they won't be around to deal with it.

Like BB of the NE Patriots always did, better to move off a player a year early than a year late. Goes for the GM. Then he can't make stupid decisions that cost the franchise long term.
But, that required FA pulling the trigger and he liked having his stooge.

Personally, was thinking Sillinger for that pick, once the top 8 went off the board.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Good for him. He had the option to return for another season in college if he wanted to use the Super SR year which a lot of football players did. Northeast kid so no shock he'd sign somewhere over there.

See if this leads to an actual NHL contract. But, don't expect him to be an NHLer.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

:laugh:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This continues to be an idiotic take

It’s literally directly in line with a pile of deals made that summer for nearly identical-value players ahead of the expansion draft.

You’re a Benning apologist who was trying to push the asinine ‘Garland was for #9 overall’ lunacy so you don’t like hearing it.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Not sure why we traded for Keith Ballard to be honest, guy was here and was constantly healthy scratched by AV for his f*** boy Aaron Rome.

When Ballard did play, he wasn't the same player like we was in Arizona and Florida.
What the f*** where we thinking..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad