Former Canucks: Players & Management (Willie Desjardins fired by Kings, COO Victor De Bonis to SEA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
It also does not stand up to fact checking. Gillis had deals with most of the teams in the league, and more that wanted to do deals or discussed deals. Teams GMs will look for what they want want, they don't care where they get it or from who, give or take trading a star in division. I can see a few people not wanting him in their organisation, person stuff like that happens as not everyone gets on and people pick people they get on with, but it won't stop them do deals.

Listening to one of the interviews Gillis did on 1040 a while ago, I was struck by what at least sounded like sincere enthusiasm when he spoke about how well he got along with other GMs -- saying that they were welcoming and treated him well. He seemed genuinely moved. Maybe he was just cynically trying to smooth the way for a return, but that wasn't my take.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Just learned that Jared McCann is the current post TDL scoring champ so far of traded players with 13pts in 16gms..

19g 34pts on the season...

Good on him for finding a home after being traded twice in his young career... He's seem to have figured it out. Now consistency.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Wow anyone defending WD as a coach:

Shawn Matthias in an interview talks about how before game one of the playoff series against Calgary the team was in the gym doing heavy squats and deadlifts. When asked if it was WD's direction he answered in a way that said yes, without saying yes directly.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Just learned that Jared McCann is the current post TDL scoring champ so far of traded players with 13pts in 16gms..

19g 34pts on the season...

Good on him for finding a home after being traded twice in his young career... He's seem to have figured it out. Now consistency.
Eh? Seems like McCann was doing well with the Panthers as well. Not putting up as many points there but was to my knowledge used more in a defensive role as a checking center. Like the Canucks, the Panthers gave up on him too fast.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
McCann was trapped behind 2 excellent centres in Florida so getting no offensive looks or linemates and was massively outscoring his usage.

That he’d break out when given a chance elsewhere was incredibly obvious.

Reactions: timw33

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Eh? Seems like McCann was doing well with the Panthers as well. Not putting up as many points there but was to my knowledge used more in a defensive role as a checking center. Like the Canucks, the Panthers gave up on him too fast.

He was doing well in Florida, even while playing with trash linemates in limited minutes. People are programmed to think that if a player plays for 3 teams in a short period of time the only explanation is that they must be some sort of problem instead of accepting that teams often make poor player personnel decisions.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Wow anyone defending WD as a coach:

Shawn Matthias in an interview talks about how before game one of the playoff series against Calgary the team was in the gym doing heavy squats and deadlifts. When asked if it was WD's direction he answered in a way that said yes, without saying yes directly.

On game day, or a day or so in advance? The wording in the tweet is ambiguous.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
The day before. It's an audio clip, pretty short too.

Yeah, that's a tough one. If it was 2 days before, I would prob have no issue with it. If it was day of, then would def have an issue with it.

Falls right into a grey area for me. What would be more of an issue is what the training regime was throughout the whole season - if they are just starting heavy lifting then it's worse than useless (could injure) but if they are doing heavy weights regularly through the season then I actually approve of what Willie is doing, please please please don't let Zippgun know

Reactions: Peter10

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I remember Higgins being interviewed on 1040 a while back and he was talking about the Calgary series and basically just flat out said they should've won but got out-coached. Pretty funny.

Yup, I heard that comment too. Coaches don’t win games, they lose them. Willie D lost that series for those players. Remember when 3 on 3 started, and Willie D said he didn’t know what to do, so he was telling the guys to play for the shoot out?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Yup, I heard that comment too. Coaches don’t win games, they lose them. Willie D lost that series for those players. Remember when 3 on 3 started, and Willie D said he didn’t know what to do, so he was telling the guys to play for the shoot out?
I’d add Willie D’s comment during the preseason to Stecher about how he didn’t think ?Stecher was supposed to be there. Then the next day Stecher is sent to the minors, even though he was clearly our best D man at that point.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Erm, got a source for that one?
It was after a game during a post game show interview on the radio. I asked if anyone else remembers the same comment. Don’t you remember it? We were losing several in a row in OT, and Willie said he thought it’s best we play for the shootout.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
:huh:
McCann was trapped behind 2 excellent centres in Florida so getting no offensive looks or linemates and was massively outscoring his usage.

That he’d break out when given a chance elsewhere was incredibly obvious.

PITTSBURGH

CENTRE

S. Crosby
E. Malkin

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Just listening to the Gillis interview. My god who was the crybaby GM that complained about the Canucks trying to work with the scheduling guy? Arguing that the Canuck's had resources they didn't? I'm pretty sure we didn't have exclusive rights on all sleep doctors in the world. I could totally see it being Boston.

His explanation about how an analytic study was used to help better utilize Kesler.... tis a steep fall from that to someone who plays with the lottery simulator for hours.

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
Just listening to the Gillis interview. My god who was the crybaby GM that complained about the Canucks trying to work with the scheduling guy? Arguing that the Canuck's had resources they didn't? I'm pretty sure we didn't have exclusive rights on all sleep doctors in the world. I could totally see it being Boston.

His explanation about how an analytic study was used to help better utilize Kesler.... tis a steep fall from that to someone who plays with the lottery simulator for hours.
This last Gillis interview is a must listen. He explained why we were successful: we did everything we can to get better.

Hockeyphysio

Jul 2, 2018

It makes me sad. I think someone like Gillis would really put Hughes and Petterson in a position to succeed and use them for what they are. Instead I fear Hughes will be mismanaged and we won't take advantage of his full set of pretty unique skills.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

I think Gillis got fired because he wanted to rebuild, and Aquilini didn’t. I wonder if Gillis used advanced stats to show Aquilini the team was in decline? It was clear just watching them play, that they were going downhill.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve

Probably Edmonton. You can tell from the interview that Lowe and his cronies still hate him and won't even interview him for the open GM job.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think Gillis got fired because he wanted to rebuild, and Aquilini didn’t. I wonder if Gillis used advanced stats to show Aquilini the team was in decline? It was clear just watching them play, that they were going downhill.
How does the team go from a second presidents trophy in 2012 the year he signed his extension to 2013 and needing a complete rebuild? What was Gillis telling Aquaman in 2012 and how did that change a year later?

I will agree that The way the team was constructed and how the rules were going along with being in he same division as the big heavy California teams, the Canucks were not going to contend after 2013.

Looking back at the contracts they had at the end of 2013, they had 1 last shot at it since the twins were up in 2014. So Gillis would rather have torn it down than try to make a couple of hockey deals to shake up the core and give the twins one final shot? If they fall again then it’s over with them as they were ufa. I doubt they would have been traded. They never wanted to leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad