Former Canucks: Players & Management (Willie Desjardins fired by Kings, COO Victor De Bonis to SEA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
As a Penguins fan that is SoCal based and watched a lot of championship King hockey with a general mistrust of JR, I have to say Gudbranson has been frighteningly effective.

Did he have these ten to fifteen game spans where he looked good and then reversed back?
Not really. Good games from him were pretty much freak occurrences here. If he's writing a new book in Pittsburgh, well then hey. Good for him.

But he sucked here for three years.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
It’s a joke honestly.

What is a joke to me is that people on this board STILL reference WD whenever they are making a negative point on this board despite the fact that he is a) long gone from here and b) coaching again in the NHL. Torts gets a bit of this treatment as well but nowhere near as intensely. All because he "rolled his lines", something that has worked for him his whole career but hasn't worked very well in his two stints with two of the worst NHL teams in recent memory. I can't wait to see how Green gets treated here once he gets fired, especially if Goldy goes elsewhere and is successful...

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
As a Penguins fan that is SoCal based and watched a lot of championship King hockey with a general mistrust of JR, I have to say Gudbranson has been frighteningly effective.

Did he have these ten to fifteen game spans where he looked good and then reversed back?

Earlier this year he had a string of 5-10 games where he looked like he could be a #6 guy. That was the high point of his time in Vancouver.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I know he played with Tanev at times. Is there a chance playing with a player that is forcing him to play simple in M. Pettersson is making him look good? I mean even his advanced numbers are rounding out to be top on the D most nights.
We don't have ANYBODY remotely like Letang on this roster to best offset much of his negatives (potentially in the future but that's just potential [Hughes]). Just like how he was used with the Panthers (where they had Campbell with still some gas left in the tank). That said, he is, what he is. A #6D who if paired with the right D partner, will be "ok" (though I have the minority opinion on that here).

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
What is a joke to me is that people on this board STILL reference WD whenever they are making a negative point on this board despite the fact that he is a) long gone from here and b) coaching again in the NHL. Torts gets a bit of this treatment as well but nowhere near as intensely. All because he "rolled his lines", something that has worked for him his whole career but hasn't worked very well in his two stints with two of the worst NHL teams in recent memory. I can't wait to see how Green gets treated here once he gets fired, especially if Goldy goes elsewhere and is successful...

You still can’t even answer what he’s good at! It’s unreal that you keep whining about it without having a shred of proof.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
You still can’t even answer what he’s good at! It’s unreal that you keep whining about it without having a shred of proof.

He's good at coaching hockey teams, something he has done at a high level other than the NHL where he has had to turn two terrible teams into winners in order to please the likes of you, something he was unable to do. That makes him terrible? People think that because I refuse to join in with the idiotic and irrational hatred for the guy that I think he is a magnificent coach, something I have never said. I think he's a pretty good coach, perhaps a bit old school, but he lives to coach (which is why he took the L.A. job in the first place; you thing JQ is going to take that gig on?). Tell you what, why don't you or any of the other haters tell me what makes him so terrible to you... but not to people who are in hiring positions on hockey clubs.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
He's good at coaching hockey teams, something he has done at a high level other than the NHL where he has had to turn two terrible teams into winners in order to please the likes of you, something he was unable to do. That makes him terrible? People think that because I refuse to join in with the idiotic and irrational hatred for the guy that I think he is a magnificent coach, something I have never said. I think he's a pretty good coach, perhaps a bit old school, but he lives to coach (which is why he took the L.A. job in the first place; you thing JQ is going to take that gig on?). Tell you what, why don't you or any of the other haters tell me what makes him so terrible to you... but not to people who are in hiring positions on hockey clubs.

People have pointed out countless things he’s terrible at. You have yet to provide even one THING he’s good at. One. Give me one thing he does well as an NHL coach. And no, you thinking he is good isn’t a thing.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
People have pointed out countless things he’s terrible at. You have yet to provide even one THING he’s good at. One. Give me one thing he does well as an NHL coach. And no, you thinking he is good isn’t a thing.
To be fair, he did say "he's good at coaching hockey teams." So he did provide ONE thing. It's like if I refer you to a doctor because "he's good at doctoring patients." Or you should take your car to this mechanic because "he's good at mechanicing cars."
Solid solid argument.
The "idiotic and irrational" are the only people that provides reasons for their thinking. The not idiotic and not irrational are the ones that complains with no reasons provided (other than "he's good at coaching hockey teams.") :help:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
willie is becoming an awesome tank commander. 2nd last, 3rd last with us and now 2nd last again for LA.

Last edited:

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Can I just say that if Seattle hires Mike Gillis I’m going to seriously consider jumping off a bridge?

It’s bad enough that we lost him and got saddled with an uneducated dinosaur as GM, but to see our newest rival pick up such an intelligent President/GM would really cut deep.

If that happens I could easily see them surpassing us as an organization within five years of their existence even though they’re an expansion team.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad