Former Canucks: Players & Management VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

iloveloov*

1337 intangibles
Apr 24, 2013
Leafs & Canucks
Hey, just a quick question. Who left the team with Horvat, Hutton, Gaunce, Kassian, Rodin, Subban, Shinkaruk?

Again, basically NOTHING to re-build around.

Horvat is the ONLY player with ANY star potential BUT he's only a middle six tweener right now and Gillis had to spend a franchise goaltender at the beginning of his prime to get him which was atrocious asset management.

Hutton is currently a bottom pairing defenseman
Gaunce is currently a zero offense 4th liner with 1 goal in half a season
Kassian is a headcase
Rodin will have played 0 NHL games by the age of 26
Subban is currently an AHL defenseman
Shinkaruk is currently an AHL forward

And tradeable pieces such as Garrison, Kesler, Matthias, Hansen, Richardson?

:lol: 3 out of those 5 "tradeable" pieces had no trade clauses.

The two that didn't, Matthias and Richardson wow such PRIMO assets to sell off to jumpstart a re-build. Wow Benning really blew it we should've won the cup already. :shakehead

Wow, its almost like Horvat ISN'T one of our best players. Weird. Its almost like a good GM could have actually done a retool pretty easily.

Looks like I'm in denial, you're right :shakehead

Yeah Horvat is one of our best players. That's good for Bo Horvat but bad for the rest of our players.

When you need to trade a franchise goalie entering his prime who is easily top 3 in the league for a middle six forward you don't get to be called a good asset manager and you don't get to be considered a good general manager.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Again, basically NOTHING to re-build around.

Horvat is the ONLY player with ANY star potential BUT he's only a middle six tweener right now and Gillis had to spend a franchise goaltender at the beginning of his prime to get him which was atrocious asset management.

Hutton is currently a bottom pairing defenseman
Gaunce is currently a zero offense 4th liner with 1 goal in half a season
Kassian is a headcase
Rodin will have played 0 NHL games by the age of 26
Subban is currently an AHL defenseman
Shinkaruk is currently an AHL forward

:lol: 3 out of those 5 "tradeable" pieces had no trade clauses.

The two that didn't, Matthias and Richardson wow such PRIMO assets to sell off to jumpstart a re-build. Wow Benning really blew it we should've won the cup already. :shakehead

Yeah Horvat is one of our best players. That's good for Bo Horvat but bad for the rest of our players.

When you need to trade a franchise goalie entering his prime who is easily top 3 in the league for a middle six forward you don't get to be called a good asset manager and you don't get to be considered a good general manager.

What about Benning is a good asset manager? Would Cory Schneider really help this team? Look what he's done for the Devils. Kept them just bad enough to miss the playoffs, but not mediocre enough for a high pick. Although you seem to like being in limbo, and losing, so thats fair.

Benning has done that simply by the moronic moves he's made. But, lets address your other points. \

Hutton is currently a bottom pairing defenseman Really? Cause I've been seeing him on the 2nd pairing essentially all year, and was a top 4 by the end of last year also.
Gaunce is currently a zero offense 4th liner with 1 goal in half a season Just like Dorsett, Granlund, Vey? At least we didn't have to give up assets for him, he was already here. And maybe he turns into even more, who knows.
Kassian is a headcase Man, sure wish we had a head case that could put up the points he has this year, last year, and even the Torts year. On an offense starved team, it might be prudent to go get more head cases, instead of trading them for over the hill fighters WHILE adding a pick
Rodin will have played 0 NHL games by the age of 26 Wasn't Benning touting how important he was to this team in the offseason, or did you also just forget his SHL MVP award? Benning, your main man, pointed to not having Rodin as a struggle for the offence.
Subban is currently an AHL defenseman Yea, he has no chance to be anything, you are right. Nobody who as ever stayed and developed in the AHL has turned into anything :laugh:
Shinkaruk is currently an AHL forward I believe he was called up by the Flames this year no? Second line too? Man, its almost like the Flames are trying to develop him properly (unlike Virtanen, another gem of this regime)

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Vey and Shinkaruk each scored for Stockton this evening.

Watch for Vey to get a call-up and go on a run for the Flames.

I'm quoting myself by way of pointing out that Shinkaruk and Vey are both now up with the Flames. Vey was pointless in his first game up on Thursday (just under 11 minutes of ice time). Shinkaruk is pointless in two games.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
If you have got a problem with post, report it. Do not call it out as "trolling", or share your thoughts on its moderation in open forum. Report it.

More posts of this nature will be Warned/Infracted. Thank you.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013

Kassian is a headcase Man, sure wish we had a head case that could put up the points he has this year,

Lol wut?

Currently 9 Canucks (8 forwards)have as many or more points than Kass who is being force fed top 6 time in Siberia. And the Canucks are the lowest scoring team in the league!

Last edited by a moderator:

banme*

Jun 7, 2014
Kassian hasn't been particularly productive this year, doesn't generate a ton of shots and actually has an above average shooting %. His rate scoring is good as usual though, and there have been accounts of him being more engaged.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Kassian hasn't been particularly productive this year, doesn't generate a ton of shots and actually has an above average shooting %. His rate scoring is good as usual though, and there have been accounts of him being more engaged.

At this point in his career, if Kassian gave the Oilers 10 goals and 20 points he'd be fine offensively. It's the physical game that the Oilers want most out of him. The fact that he was a former 1st round pick means nothing right now. They want him to use his size the way Ferland did against the Canucks in the 2015. Is Kassian doing that?

I'm very surprised how well Grabner is playing. 10 goals already. Thought he career was almost over after play 80 games with the Leafs last season and getting 18 points. Thought he was doing down given his prior 2 years with the Isles.

Nice to see that he had a decent career. Not the offensive engine that most expected. Hasn't been in the top 6 for the majority of his career.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Yeah, it would have been nice if Benning signed Grabner last summer.

Would be a big improvement on RW over Skille, Dorsett, and Virtanen.

Or traded the Islanders four pieces of junk like the Leafs did. Lots of opportunities to pick up Grabner which shouldn't be surprising given the guy has one good season every 4-5 years. And this is coming from a big Grabner fan who followed him very close on the Moose.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I actually kinda agree with iloveloov. Getting just Horvat back strictly from a value perspective was ridiculously bad value.

Your Canucks had patiently waited 3 years for Schneid to finish school and then invested 3 years of Moose time and 3 years Canuck time for a total of 9 years of development time and traded all of it for a player that hadn't played 1 second in the NHL.

And then there is market reality where if you get a 1st for a backup 'tender, you take that 1st and you run.

Not sure what happened behind the scenes, wish we still had Schneider, wish a lot of things.

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
what the hell would a 30 year old schneider do for us now?

the pick was a gamble. it was bad value at the time...BUT IMO right now with what horvat is showing it would be a pretty even trade.

Beansy*

Sep 10, 2016

the pick was a gamble. it was bad value at the time...BUT IMO right now with what horvat is showing it would be a pretty even trade.

I think the argument is the value received at the time. I am not sure either organization would take that trade back now.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Goalies don't really have much value these days. Lot of teams are able to find their goalies for cheap/develop them so they don't pay through the nose for them.

Devan Dubnyk to Nashville for Matt Hendricks
Cory Schneider for the ninth overall pick (Bo Horvat)
Jonathan Bernier for Ben Scrivens, Matt Frattin, second-rounder
Ben Bishop for Cory Conacher, fourth-rounder
Steve Mason for Michael Leighton, third-rounder
Sergei Bobrovsky for second-rounder, two fourth-rounders
Anders Lindback (and Kyle Wilson) for two second-rounders, one third-rounder and Sebastien Caron
Tomas Vokoun for a seventh-rounder
Semyon Varlamov for first-rounder (Filip Forsberg) and second-rounder
Brian Elliott for Craig Anderson
Dwayne Roloson for Ty Wishart
Jaroslav Halak for Lars Eller and Ian Schultz
Kari Lehtonen for Ivan Vishnevskiy and fourth-rounder

That being said I agree, there should have been at least another pick thrown in the Schneider deal.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Personally I always thought the trade was fine. The 'value' that we lost were the extra complimentary assets, which typically don't mean much in the grand scheme of things. The portion of the trade we did get back though was the primary asset, Horvat should be a key player with us for a very long time. While in terms of asset value he's not equal to Schneider 1:1, you very rarely get that sort of a return when trading a core player.

A good example for what I'm saying, let's go back to Brian Burke's Pavel Bure trade. There were 9 players/picks/prospects involved in the trade. Looking back at it with full hindsight 7/9 of those involved ended up being little more than white noise, the only thing that mattered in the deal was Bure for Jovo.

Dealing Schneider for Horvat 1:1 is just like trading Bure for Jovo straight up 17 years ago.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Goalies don't really have much value these days. Lot of teams are able to find their goalies for cheap/develop them so they don't pay through the nose for them.

Anders Lindback (and Kyle Wilson) for two second-rounders, one third-rounder and Sebastien Caron

That being said I agree, there should have been at least another pick thrown in the Schneider deal.

Look, I think most people would say that the we didn't get enough value for Schneids, but seeing this list, really puts into perspective what goalies get.

It sucks, but its the reality. But I'm not excusing Gillis here, he made a bad move. But like another poster said, what would Schneider do for this team? Make it just miss the playoffs instead of miss badly? I don't understand.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It's hard to say how much difference elite goaltending can make. Look at the Habs, the Habs with Price and the Habs without Price is the difference between Cup finals contender vs missing the playoffs. Schneider is 30 but has already provided 3 years of elite goaltending and likely many more. I have always believed in keeping the better goaltender and trading Luongo for whatever we could have gotten. But it is what it is. Since Schneider was traded, the bigger question was whether the Canucks were better off trading Schneider to the Oilers and getting at least an extra 2nd rounder. I defended the decision at the time and looking at the draft with current hindsight, I'm not sure it would have made much of a difference.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Personally I always thought the trade was fine. The 'value' that we lost were the extra complimentary assets, which typically don't mean much in the grand scheme of things. The portion of the trade we did get back though was the primary asset, Horvat should be a key player with us for a very long time. While in terms of asset value he's not equal to Schneider 1:1, you very rarely get that sort of a return when trading a core player.

A good example for what I'm saying, let's go back to Brian Burke's Pavel Bure trade. There were 9 players/picks/prospects involved in the trade. Looking back at it with full hindsight 7/9 of those involved ended up being little more than white noise, the only thing that mattered in the deal was Bure for Jovo.

Dealing Schneider for Horvat 1:1 is just like trading Bure for Jovo straight up 17 years ago.

What? Complementary assets in trades is all this forum cares about!!

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Cool.

So when do we pick up Carey Price for Alex Burrows, Ben Hutton, and a 2nd round pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad