Former Canucks: Players & Management - Part 2 (The Ben Hutton Sweepstakes are over)

Status
Not open for further replies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I could be wrong but always thought he just started his coaching career too late and was too old to learn/adapt to the NHL.

I'm assuming that coaching in the NHL is a very different game than the AHL, and worlds different than the CHL. Most coaches are former players that have hung them up and get a gig at the lower level in their late 20's to mid-late 30's. Desjardins on the other hand started with Medicine Hat at age 45, and was there for 8 years before moving up the ladder. I think that's how you create a guy who can be great at the lower levels but completely inept in the big league.

To be fair, most do fail as headcoaches at the NHL level. Willie did take an unusual route to the NHL and he probably should have been promoted earlier (I think most Stars fans felt he deserved the job over Gulutzan at the time).

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
What went wrong with McCann here in Vancouver?

He just played 17 minutes for the Pens in the playoffs... seems to have find himself a nice home in Pittsburgh.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009

He just played 17 minutes for the Pens in the playoffs... seems to have find himself a nice home in Pittsburgh.

A combination of impatience and brutal talent evaluation. Virtanen was given a year to develop in the AHL while McCann was shipped off for a supposed tough character guy after not being fully ready in his 19-20 year old season.

Reactions: mossey3535

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell

They didn’t like how cocky he was or whatever, he hasn’t had any issues regarding his attitude since he left here and it’s pretty obvious they gave up on him too early.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They didn’t like how cocky he was or whatever, he hasn’t had any issues regarding his attitude since he left here and it’s pretty obvious they gave up on him too early.
So, our leadership core of the twins, Sutter, Edler, Miller, etc. couldn't set him straight? Isn't that what you expect from them? Like talk to the kids one on one or in a small group, not just call them out in the media like Henrik did.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Amateur scouting: Great for scouting and drafting him.
Pro scouting: Typical smells like azz judgement (not just him but for the guy he was dealt for)

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i think they had mccann scouted about right. they just were totally wrong to think gudbranson could take on the role they gave him.

if i assume there is fire behind the smoke on mccann's attitude i imagine being traded twice at his age as a first rounder is a pretty good wake up call, and then getting to practice watching a guy like crosby practice offers a good path to redemption.

Reactions: Josepho and drax0s

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Reports are they didn't like his attitude and worried how it would affect better prospects like Virtanen and Vey.

turns out $8,450,000 of mentorship is just not enough mentorship

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Vigneault is the new coach in Philly. Good for him.
Good for him. Good spot for him. See if he can work with their younger guys as he will need them to do well.

Already his 2nd coaching stint and 3rd contract he’s signed since he was fired back in 2013.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Good for him. Good spot for him. See if he can work with their younger guys as he will need them to do well.

Already his 2nd coaching stint and 3rd contract he’s signed since he was fired back in 2013.

Poster child for coaches being fired way too often.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Poster child for coaches being fired way too often.
He can take an ok team and get them to become a very good team.

If he was taking over for say Cooper in TB then it might not be as good a hire. But Philly needs to establish themselves as a consistent playoff team first and then into a contender. AV can do that.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
For AV to be successful in Philly, he needs Carter Hart to be that franchise goaltender.

AV has been blessed with Luongo and Lundqvist, two sure fire hall of famers

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
He can take an ok team and get them to become a very good team.

If he was taking over for say Cooper in TB then it might not be as good a hire. But Philly needs to establish themselves as a consistent playoff team first and then into a contender. AV can do that.

Yeah until AV pulls a Trotz of last year and shows he can coach his team over the hump in the finals, he's better suited to improve an underachieving team.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
AV is a proven good coach. He'll do well with the Flyers for the first 2-3 years or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad