Former Canucks: Players & Management - Part 2 (The Ben Hutton Sweepstakes are over)

Status
Not open for further replies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I'm not a big fan of Green—felt like a low cost low risk appointment at the time, and over the past couple of years that's been verified. I don't think he's the guy you're going to do deep with.

Fair enough. I think Green was destined for an NHL shot. His previous resume suggests that he does well when given a good team. Anyhow, I think Green does have the type of team he wants so health permitting there are few excuses this year.

Reactions: timw33

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
That’s fair in one way but in another, pretty much every violent criminal has a sad/violent upbringing and we don’t feel too sorry for most of them. His occupation has given Brashear resources to deal with his negative tendencies that most with his background could only dream of, and it doesn’t really look like he’s taken advantage.

It's not that easy...

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
The shift button is your friend. An unbelievable post, really "full ambulance"? How should the unconcious Moore have made his way to the hospital? BTW why should Moore even have to face Bertuzzi? He had already fought Cooke (in his first fight EVER as a pro) and he had done nothing to Bert. Was is because he was "rich"? Some of the stuff that comes out of Canuck fans' mouths regarding this incident really makes me wonder. Maybe it's the water...

I always thought the strangest "code" aspect of the whole thing was that the teams had already played a full game post incident. I guess part of the code is that the aggrieved team can serve it up cold as it suits them?

Reactions: Zippgunn

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
i think people lose sight of the importance of the injury to moore in the bertuzzi thing.

to draw an analogy. if you drive drunk at say .14 bac, i get a fine and a 6 month licence suspension. if you drive just as drunk over the exact same route but this time you hit and kill a child on a tricycle who rides into the road, you get a bigger fine, go to jail for a year and get a ten year driving ban. in each case my moral culpability is the same, but the consequences of the actions yield different results.

Way off topic but I'm always a little stunned at how people overlook the moral culpability in such cases.

The one that fascinated me was Heatley getting so much sympathy because he wasn't drunk when he killed his friend, just driving like an idiot in a car that he was incapable of operating in a safe manner (note: I would be dead within a week with that many horsepower). It was still reckless and stupid behaviour.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Fair enough. I think Green was destined for an NHL shot. His previous resume suggests that he does well when given a good team. Anyhow, I think Green does have the type of team he wants so health permitting there are few excuses this year.

Today's game was a great example of what Green does with a lineup he wants.

Reactions: F A N

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Dennis Kearns.

When he was introduced at the Canucks home opening ceremony, it warmed my heart. Kearns played defense for us during one of the "worse times in Canucks history". He was a small defenseman who took a lot of verbal abuse and booing from the tough fans at Pacific Coliseum. "Hit him with your purse, Kearns" was one of the gentler comments I heard.

I'll always remember him being interviewed at intermission on one of the infrequent Canuck tv viewings. He was asked if the booing bothered him. He replied.... "No it doesn't bother me. I'm just glad it's me and not one of our younger players." A stand up guy.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Dennis Kearns.

When he was introduced at the Canucks home opening ceremony, it warmed my heart. Kearns played defense for us during one of the "worse times in Canucks history". He was a small defenseman who took a lot of verbal abuse and booing from the tough fans at Pacific Coliseum. "Hit him with your purse, Kearns" was one of the gentler comments I heard.

I'll always remember him being interviewed at intermission on one of the infrequent Canuck tv viewings. He was asked if the booing bothered him. He replied.... "No it doesn't bother me. I'm just glad it's me and not one of our younger players." A stand up guy.
He also played D for the Canucks during our first signs of life in the franchise (back when a .500 record actually meant something).

The main thing I'm sad about Kearns is that he retired just one season before that miracle run in 1982 (so he didn't get to experience that playoff run to the Finals).

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Dennis Kearns.

It's funny how many topics of conversation on this board lately have illuminated how much hockey culture and culture and general has shifted in a generation or less.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
You have to hand it to Nick Bonino.....the ultimate NHL survivor who's now locked into the No. 3 center position with the Preds, displacing even Kyle Turris. And he has two Stanley Cup rings to show for his career with Anaheim and Pittsburgh, and shows no signs of lowing down. An absolutely prototypical third line center.

And when the Canucks had him, he was on a cost-controlled $1.9m contract.....easily Jimbo's worst deal imo....peddling him to the Pens along with draft picks for Sutter, who isn't even as good in a third line role.

Sutter has been great so far and a huge reason why our PK is what it is

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008

Ouch. You don't like to see that.

McCarron is an effing piece of crap.

KRRZcDQ.gif

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Proving once again that HFCanucks will never be NHL GM's.

But good for Sbisa, seems like a genuinely nice guy.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Proving once again that HFCanucks will never be NHL GM's.

But good for Sbisa, seems like a genuinely nice guy.
Or shows that as incredible as it seeems; there ARE dumber GMs than Benning in this league. Jets could've had some OTHER ex-Canuck D that would be a SIGNIFICANT upgrade over Pizza (and Hutton isn't even anything special).

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Or shows that as incredible as it seeems; there ARE dumber GMs than Benning in this league. Jets could've had some OTHER ex-Canuck D that would be a SIGNIFICANT upgrade over Pizza (and Hutton isn't even anything special).

I wouldn't say dumber than Benning.

I'd say making some of the same dumb mistakes while also not doing many of the other dumb things that Benning does.

wavaxa2

Sep 24, 2010
Biega has become the human yoyo. After being sent down to Grand Rapids on Tuesday, he is being recalled again, now that Jonathan Ericsson has cleared waivers and Danny DeKeyser is questionable for Detroit's next game.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Biega has become the human yoyo. After being sent down to Grand Rapids on Tuesday, he is being recalled again, now that Jonathan Ericsson has cleared waivers and Danny DeKeyser is questionable for Detroit's next game.

It's been his role for several years and he's good at it. It's that last part I think people don't really appreciate. Having a #7/8 that can come in and perform well is not something to take lightly. Especially when he's outperforming some in the top 6. Without Biega do the canucks have that? We haven't had to see yet but at some point we will.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Sopel was on Spittin' Chiclets again this week. A lot of talk around his dyslexia (diagnosed near the end of his career), his alcoholism and his foundation. It reminded me of his players tribune article a couple years ago. Linking it here for those who have not had a chance to read it.

Lost in My Mind | By Brent Sopel

He's over 3 years sober. Good job Sopes!

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
From 1st, 2nd, 4th to 7th & contract dump within 3 years.

Love to pay the highest price possible on declining assets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad